Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

6 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

That's one of those I could possibly understand why it was given in real time but watching it back on VAR, I don't get why you'd give a pen as he lost the ball in the other direction.

If the ball was 50 yards away, it would still be a penalty.

I have a question about that 2nd disallowed Red Star goal. We've seen goals given cos defenders make obvious attempts to play the ball, does that not apply to goalkeepers? McGregor clearly played the ball.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

So that’s not a foul then, so shouldn’t be a penalty. My point was that having control of the ball has absolutely nothing to do with whether a challenge is a penalty. If it’s a foul it’s a penalty, if it’s not a foul it’s not a penalty.

You don’t need control as you say so long as the ball is in play. The Kyogo one against Motherwell for the slap on the back of the head while the keeper had the ball is a good example of that.

Wow whoever thought we would agree on a decision? 

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You don’t need control as you say so long as the ball is in play. The Kyogo one against Motherwell for the slap on the back of the head while the keeper had the ball is a good example of that.

Wow whoever thought we would agree on a decision? 

I’m going to change my mind.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I have a question about that 2nd disallowed Red Star goal. We've seen goals given cos defenders make obvious attempts to play the ball, does that not apply to goalkeepers? McGregor clearly played the ball.

TBF the player had moved towards the ball forcing him to play it. Different to if the Red Star player had been 10 yards away and McGregor had duffed it to him unnecessarily

Thought McGregor looked very close to being off his line at the penalty though