2019/20 Challenge Cup

I think it's great that English, Welsh teams etc are in this competition. The colt team's can gtf though .our draw away too Wrexham is the best of the bunch .I reckon we will take a big support down good away day.certainly beats an away day too someone you play 4 times a season .

On 17/08/2019 at 09:27, parsforlife said:

Its abit ridiculous that people think travelling by coach to south England on the day of the match is even remotely considered acceptable preparation for professional athletes. Even amateur sports that require UK wide travel don’t do that.

Fully pro ice hockey teams do it all the time, often playing a game the next night too

On 14/08/2019 at 13:40, Poet of the Macabre said:

You can buy a 2l bottle of water for less than 50p in most supermarkets. Surely Cowden aren't *that* hard up?

Very good, but 2l bottles of water aren't much good to the players. The sports cap 500ml bottles of Strathmore provided by Irn Bru were a significant cost saving for clubs, including Dunfermline I'd imagine. According to SPFL literature it was £862 of water each.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Very good, but 2l bottles of water aren't much good to the players. The sports cap 500ml bottles of Strathmore provided by Irn Bru were a significant cost saving for clubs, including Dunfermline I'd imagine. According to SPFL literature it was £862 of water each.

Significant cost saving worth about the same as a 50/50 draw. Bit of a contradiction that? Less than a 0.25% of a mediocre Betfred cup performance.

The £862 probably benefits the non-league teams quite a bit.

1. I'm split on the foreign sides (but I would suggest punting out the League of Ireland sides after last seasons shambles)
2. Colt teams can GTF - it is clearly a dry run for the introduction of reserve sides in a new Scottish Conference, or league expansion.
3. I would replace the Colt sides with 6 more HL and LL sides. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Significant cost saving worth about the same as a 50/50 draw. Bit of a contradiction that? Less than a 0.25% of a mediocre Betfred cup performance.

Hark at Billy Big Baws and his "our half time draw makes that" attitude.

Notwithstanding that big teams like Dunfermline could drop that running for a bus, the idea that the water is a useless giveaway sitting in everybody's garage is a nonsense. It was an is exactly the product clubs actually need to buy and now have to buy as we don't get it any more. No amount of free Caramel Wafers is going to make up for that. It's effectively the guts of £1k per club worse off.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hark at Billy Big Baws and his "our half time draw makes that" attitude.

Notwithstanding that big teams like Dunfermline could drop that running for a bus, the idea that the water is a useless giveaway sitting in everybody's garage is a nonsense. It was an is exactly the product clubs actually need to buy and now have to buy as we don't get it any more. No amount of free Caramel Wafers is going to make up for that. It's effectively the guts of £1k per club worse off.

correct

The £862 probably benefits the non-league teams quite a bit.

1. I'm split on the foreign sides (but I would suggest punting out the League of Ireland sides after last seasons shambles)

2. Colt teams can GTF - it is clearly a dry run for the introduction of reserve sides in a new Scottish Conference, or league expansion.

3. I would replace the Colt sides with 6 more HL and LL sides. 

I’d much rather they got rid of all the non Scottish and Colt sides and brought in the better HL, LL and Junior sides. Some great away games and interesting rivalries between local junior and senior sides could form..

Why should juniors get more money from the senior gravy train when the ones left don't seem to be interested in the pyramid. They already have their Scottish Cup places which is probably more than enough.

You could probably count on one hand the decent ones left in the east and still have fingers to spare.

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Why should juniors get more money from the senior gravy train when the ones left don't seem to be interested in the pyramid. They already have their Scottish Cup places which is probably more than enough.

You could probably count on one hand the decent ones left in the east and still have fingers to spare.

Especially for a fifer like you...

On 20/08/2019 at 12:27, airdrieman said:

Apparently if Bohemians win their cup tie this Friday night the next round fixture clashes with our Challenge Cup tie. This is what happened last season too wasn't it?

Bohs should win tonight however can guarantee you now that cup Q/F fixture won't go ahead that weekend so be no issues with Airdrie match however it won't be a full strength team, Ireland have an u21 match on the friday 6th so Bohs will have a postponement in the cup due to players missing for it.

Gutted we lost to Hearts colts, but what about the money being lost from our game because of the foreign teams being in the competition? In the high tens of thousands each season, if not over£100k.

On 06/08/2019 at 18:43, HibeeJibee said:

It was reported across various news platforms in the autumn. Peterhead went on record objecting to the amount of prizemoney and travel grants being paid to foreign teams.

E.g. this report in Aberdeenshire Evening Express which cites between £91,000 and £99,000 as having been paid out upto R3:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/fears-as-irn-bru-cash-fizzles-out-of-scotland/

It would end-up substantially more as Connahs Quay went another 3 rounds and Bohemians another round, and Connahs Quay played another 2 away ties.

You would admittedly have to deduct whatever is received from S4C for televising Welsh clubs.

From earlier

13 hours ago, PELE said:

Gutted we lost to Hearts colts, but what about the money being lost from our game because of the foreign teams being in the competition? In the high tens of thousands each season, if not over£100k.

^^^ voted for Brexit