Dundee United 2019/2020

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because they're generally too small physically. Until we start pumping kids full of PEDs and steroids like a Country just South if us, itll remain that way.

You’re consistent.  Just about every one of your posts is nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re consistent.  Just about every one of your posts is nonsense.

It's really not, watch the next U18 World Cup and spot the difference in size between the top nations and the rest.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Because they're generally too small physically. Until we start pumping kids full of PEDs and steroids like a Country just South if us, itll remain that way.
More to with the fact that having ten times the population they have a bigger base to start with.

There's also the reality that in England there has been a trend for a long time of developing players in their athleticism - bigger and faster seems to be the aim not just skill.

You have to look at their national team which is built around that sort of player.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve never understood why in Scotland we assume all players are too young at 17/18.

Maybe most would benefit from loan deals but there are some players of that age could make a contribution in the first team.

I would love to see more youngsters break through at United and at the age of 17/18/19. I think the problem we have at the moment is the gamble of including young players in a squad that desperately needs to win the division.

Whilst younger players can give you those short spells of promise, excitement and can make an impact, I think Neilson needs a squad of experience first and foremost. If/when we get promoted and we are in a position to consolidate a spot in the top flight it is then maybe easier to blood younger players in the safety of not having the pressure to win every game. I would be keen to see younger players used in the cups this year as a way of introducing them to first team football. 

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

We've subbied the subs a couple of times during these pre-season games so it probably is something Glass and the younger players were aware of before the pre-season games.

Neilson mentioned yesterday that they will now begin to cut back on the squad in terms of sending a few young players out on loan and back to the reserves. I think it is the case that Appere is probably at the head of the queue and certainly ahead of someone like Matty Smith now. Based on the pre-season games I can see - 

Appere - 1st Team opportunity

Banks - 1st Team opportunity

Chalmers - 1st Team opportunity

Glass - Loan

Graham - Loan

Mochrie - Loan

M.Smith - Loan

Yep, I would agree. I hope Appere gets a few opportunities as he looks ready.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve never understood why in Scotland we assume all players are too young at 17/18.

Maybe most would benefit from loan deals but there are some players of that age could make a contribution in the first team.

Seems to be a big problem here, has been for as long as I can remember. Shouldn't matter how old/young you are, if you are good enough you're old enough.

Quite frustrating watching a good player and hearing that they can't play not enough experience. How do you ever get experience if you don't play. Also works the other way, sometimes those with experience play with fear ( against so called bigger teams) where sometimes you need to play without fear.

Obviously isn't the case with all players and situations as we have all seen sometimes mistakes brought on by inexperience.

But yes GD in total agreement 

8 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Seems to be a big problem here, has been for as long as I can remember. Shouldn't matter how old/young you are, if you are good enough you're old enough.

Quite frustrating watching a good player and hearing that they can't play not enough experience. How do you ever get experience if you don't play. Also works the other way, sometimes those with experience play with fear ( against so called bigger teams) where sometimes you need to play without fear.

Obviously isn't the case with all players and situations as we have all seen sometimes mistakes brought on by inexperience.

But yes GD in total agreement 

Our problem in the last couple of years is the quality of youth player hasn’t been good enough. When the best players coming through since 2013/14 are Jamie Robson and Matty Smith you have serious problems.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I would love to see more youngsters break through at United and at the age of 17/18/19. I think the problem we have at the moment is the gamble of including young players in a squad that desperately needs to win the division.

Whilst younger players can give you those short spells of promise, excitement and can make an impact, I think Neilson needs a squad of experience first and foremost. If/when we get promoted and we are in a position to consolidate a spot in the top flight it is then maybe easier to blood younger players in the safety of not having the pressure to win every game. I would be keen to see younger players used in the cups this year as a way of introducing them to first team football. 

I will happily revisit the points in this post 6 months from now.

Edit: months not moths!

Edited by Granny Danger

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Do we?

John Souttar was a regular starter (at centre-back of all places) at 16. I think Garry Kenneth was 17.

Gauld was playing fairly regularly at 17, Armstrong at 18. Goodwillie debuted at 16.

Jamie Robson was playing for us at 18, and is hardly pulling up trees.

A couple of years ago Ali Coote had played around 20 games for us at the age of 18 when he transferred to Brentford, where I don't think he's made a first team appearance.

If they're good enough they tend to play. I can't remember anyone in recent years that had to wait till they turned 20 (ie Matty Smith) before getting a real look-in that turned into great players.

1 hour ago, NEFarab said:

Our problem in the last couple of years is the quality of youth player hasn’t been good enough. When the best players coming through since 2013/14 are Jamie Robson and Matty Smith you have serious problems.

That's true, although Matty seems to have regressed a bit. He looked a lot more lively when he first came on the scene. Robson, I feel, has been a victim of his own stupidity/arrogance a bit. Maybe he might realise that and get the head down, maybe it's too late. Either way he should never be at left back, but midfield.

9 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Do we?

John Souttar was a regular starter (at centre-back of all places) at 16. I think Garry Kenneth was 17.

Gauld was playing fairly regularly at 17, Armstrong at 18. Goodwillie debuted at 16.

A couple of years ago Ali Coote had played around 20 games for us at the age of 18 when he transferred to Brentford, where I don't think he's made a first team appearance.

If they're good enough they tend to play. I can't remember anyone in recent years that had to wait till they turned 20 (ie Matty Smith) before getting a real look-in that turned into great players.

That's all United. There definately seems to be that issue overall. I remember years ago when Craig Brown was in charge of Scotland, talking about a player whose name escapes me, when it was decided that they couldn't play him as he didn't have any experience. The player was 24!!

As a club we have a reputation of playing youngsters but I do think we as a footballing nation seem to want an "experienced" player over youth.

27 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Do we?

I was responding to a post suggesting that for the most part we should be putting young players out on loan.

I think we should be judging them on their ability to contribute not their age.

That goes for senior players too.