Dundee United 2019/2020

5 hours ago, Dele said:

Nicky Clark is just Gavin Reilly just with a much worse father. 

Both played for us. One got 2 goals, one of which was in a Challenge Cup tie against Brechin.

The other scored 37 goals for us.

It's absolutely unanimous amongst the Pars support who is the better player.

Edited by DA Baracus

45 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Stephen O’Donnell, Kilmarnock 

This kinda worries me.

O'Donnell would be a good signing, but surely RB isn't a priority position?

If the owners are gonna sign a full starting XI of a similar calibre, then fair enough, but I cannae see it!

4 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

Honestly can’t take anyone seriously who thinks Brian Graham is a better football player than Nicky Clark.

I can't say I rate Clark that highly, but I'd rather have 11 Nicky Clarks starting than have Brian Graham near the team again.

6 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I can't say I rate Clark that highly, but I'd rather have 11 Nicky Clarks starting than have Brian Graham near the team again.

Clark has scored about one in three.  Not bad considering a number of his appearances are off the bench and he’s been continually played out of position.

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

This kinda worries me.

O'Donnell would be a good signing, but surely RB isn't a priority position?

If the owners are gonna sign a full starting XI of a similar calibre, then fair enough, but I cannae see it!

Sensible enough signing for me. We only have one right back and hes not very good.

Why not sign a decent, more experienced player if theres one available. Our defence needs some serious work and this is a good sign to me.

20 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I'm not convinced Robson can cut it in the top flight. Never particularly impressed by him and see more potential to improve in Smith.

In the first couple of months this season, Robson was excellent - his form tailed off, like most of the squad, but before January there was rumoured interest from decent sides down south.  I don't see any reason why he can't improve next season - but I would say the main thing that both he and Smith need is consistency.  This might well come if they have two decent centre-halves between them - we just need to find a Webster/Kenneth style combination of intelligence/physicality...

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The gap between the top of the Championship and the bottom of the Premiership, over the course of a season, is enormous. Dundee United, if they made no changes to their current squad, based on what I’ve seen, would probably be battling County, St Mirren, Hamilton and whomever is down there for 10th.

I don’t really see anyone arguing otherwise.

Nobody is arguing that because it is clearly true - we need to strengthen at least 3 or 4 positions to have any chance of finishing near the top 6.

18 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

I think only Shankland, Butcher and Smith have been definite successes.

3 out of 18 is a frighteningly low success rate...

16 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd argue that Benji will be shown up as a ropey keeper this season tbh. Hes gotten alot better but I still am not convinced.

He lacks confidence coming for crosses, but his shot-stopping has improved hugely this past year or so - he was essentially our most valuable player in the play-offs last season and his form hasn't really dipped since then.  If he isn't good enough for the Premiership than our squad is even worse than I feared.

2 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

In the first couple of months this season, Robson was excellent - his form tailed off, like most of the squad, but before January there was rumoured interest from decent sides down south.  I don't see any reason why he can't improve next season - but I would say the main thing that both he and Smith need is consistency.  This might well come if they have two decent centre-halves between them - we just need to find a Webster/Kenneth style combination of intelligence/physicality...

Nobody is arguing that because it is clearly true - we need to strengthen at least 3 or 4 positions to have any chance of finishing near the top 6.

3 out of 18 is a frighteningly low success rate...

He lacks confidence coming for crosses, but his shot-stopping has improved hugely this past year or so - he was essentially our most valuable player in the play-offs last season and his form hasn't really dipped since then.  If he isn't good enough for the Premiership than our squad is even worse than I feared.

I'd honestly say our squad is very poor. The amount of terrible performances we've had and the fact we've only really got about 3 or 4 players who would make an impact in the Premiership says it all. 

I'm happy enough for Benji to get a chance between the sticks but against far better teams and being tested alot more then, well, I have serious doubts. 

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong though. 

Semi optimistic we'll hang on to Shankland for whenever next season gets going although if not he'll obviously need replaced. We need a  first choice full back, centre half, centre mid and a winger / creative type. Preferably the focus is heavily on quality over quantity, I think a handful of decent players should comfortably be able to carry the likes of Smith, Robson, Connolly, Powers, Butcher, McMullan etc. to a 7th - 9th sort of finish then looking to build on that in following years. Ashgar & Neilson getting carried away trying to sign 11 players and qualify for Europe in our first season back would definitely be a concern for me.

1 hour ago, coppola said:

Semi optimistic we'll hang on to Shankland for whenever next season gets going although if not he'll obviously need replaced. We need a  first choice full back, centre half, centre mid and a winger / creative type. Preferably the focus is heavily on quality over quantity, I think a handful of decent players should comfortably be able to carry the likes of Smith, Robson, Connolly, Powers, Butcher, McMullan etc. to a 7th - 9th sort of finish then looking to build on that in following years. Ashgar & Neilson getting carried away trying to sign 11 players and qualify for Europe in our first season back would definitely be a concern for me.

Powers will need to up his game significantly if he’s to play any part.

More importantly someone needs to tell Neilson he can’t play Butcher and Powers in the same team.

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Powers will need to up his game significantly if he’s to play any part.

More importantly someone needs to tell Neilson he can’t play Butcher and Powers in the same team.

I think there will be a place for either or in the team next year and, personally, I still think Powers will eventually prove to be a better option. If they 2 end up being out first choice midfield though we'll struggle. 

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd honestly say our squad is very poor. The amount of terrible performances we've had...

I think "very poor" is slightly unfair - when we had to play well to go out infront of the chasing pack, we were unstoppable - going unbeaten between losses on 19 October and 1 February is a remarkably good run.  We slowed down a lot, I'll grant you that, but I think those last few performances have somewhat overshadowed what was a really good season.

3 hours ago, coppola said:

Ashgar & Neilson getting carried away trying to sign 11 players and qualify for Europe in our first season back would definitely be a concern for me.

That could easily see us relegated straight back down...

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I would imagine Neilson will play 5-man midfields a lot next season, and those two sitting might be a solid basis to build from.  We just need to make sure that we never give them the ball.

10 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Sensible enough signing for me. We only have one right back and hes not very good.

Why not sign a decent, more experienced player if theres one available. Our defence needs some serious work and this is a good sign to me.

The ‘Why not if there’s one available‘ strategy is great up until the point you’ve spent all your budget and still haven’t signed a centre back.

We need to identify the 4/5 positions we need to invest in and go out to get those players. If Neilson decides that RB is a priority position then so be it, but I don’t think it is.

CB, CB, CM, LM in that order imho

37 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The ‘Why not if there’s one available‘ strategy is great up until the point you’ve spent all your budget and still haven’t signed a centre back.

We need to identify the 4/5 positions we need to invest in and go out to get those players. If Neilson decides that RB is a priority position then so be it, but I don’t think it is.

Agree with this.  I still think four, or even five, new players is going to leave us struggling in the top flight.

The big, and difficult, decision for the owners will be to balance the cost of strengthening the team against the cost of going back down.  I hope we don’t underestimate the task then try to compensate in the Christmas window; that has not worked out well in the past.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Agree with this.  I still think four, or even five, new players is going to leave us struggling in the top flight.

The big, and difficult, decision for the owners will be to balance the cost of strengthening the team against the cost of going back down.  I hope we don’t underestimate the task then try to compensate in the Christmas window; that has not worked out well in the past.

Especially given we may have to find a replacement for Shankland in January, if we even hold onto him that long.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Personally for me the defence is a priority on the whole so in what order they are signed is irrelevant. The owners will obviously know we need to invest to stay up.

We have no cover at full back at all. Signing a solid, experienced right back to play and have Smith as backup seems a good start to me and I'm one of Robbies harshest critics. 

I'd agree we need 2 CH, a creative CM and a winger, I'd argue we need a left and a right winger really as McMullan isnt the answer to any question. But I'd add a good no.10 too.