Dundee United 2019/2020

6 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Stephen O'Donnell would be an excellent signing from what I can tell. In the Scotland squad very recently and a stand out for a good Kilmarnock side. I think my last memory of actually seeing him play was that ridiculous goal he scored at Tannadice for Partick. Contrary to some opinions, I'd be very confident of Liam Smith being able to step up but he's the only player in the squad remotely capable of playing at right back so we definitely need to strengthen that position irrespective of how well Smith does.

No idea who this "Drey Wright" character is. 

Forgot About Drey?

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd hardly call Paul Watson a youngster.

Or highly rated.

Assume you're referring to Jake Davidson. Never seen him play so no idea whether he's any good.

Edit: or maybe that was a reference to Freeman. I don't recall him ever playing either and he's out of contract.

I meant Freeman. Thought he was getting kept on? 

43 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I meant Freeman. Thought he was getting kept on? 

Ach nae idea. I'd forgotten about him entirely when I posted and was only really thinking about how badly we seemed to struggle when Smith wasn't available at right back. I expect the plan was to give Freeman some games after the league was tied up.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:24, ArabAuslander said:

I reckon we're probably 3 players short of a Top 6 side. Especially with some of our younger talents Appere, Robson and Smith all progressing.

I don't watch that much Premiership football but I think you are probably more than 3 players short.

On 18/04/2020 at 23:51, mishtergrolsch said:

Anyone that thinks we're going to be anywhere near top 6 without 7 or 8 new signings to improve the first team is mental.

Our defence is garbage, our midfield is toothless, our main winger Mcmullan cant cross and we're mostly going to be up against teams that are fitter, stronger and far more street wise than anything we are used to.

And we have a manger that squeezes Peter Pawlett in at every opportunity, thinks Dillon Powers is a player and thought Adam King was worth a 3 year deal.

This squad, even with Shankland is 10th at best considering the amount of touches Shankland actually gets in a game. We wont get away with shitfesting as many games as last season and hoping the golden one will snatch the points at the other end.

Yeah this more or less.

United have won the League comfortably but that's partly a reflection of Shankland being unstoppable for half a season and partly a reflection on having no serious opposition. It's been the poorest Championship in some time (and we were still in the bottom two, I'm aware of this). United's defence has never looked particularly solid even at this level though. I don't think you are as good as County from last year, who weren't themselves particularly great and they are sitting one place above the playoff spot and nowhere near a top six side.

Your front two (presuming Clark makes a good recovery and Shankland hangs about) should be good enough to do damage at Premiership level for sure and there are some good players elsewhere in the squad but I'd think 7 or 8 new (& better) signings would be necessary to be a top six side.

SOD would be a good signing for us, and at the very least he can make a good Empire biscuit as @thisGRAEME found out.

I see we're also linked with Greg Stewart. Again a top Premiership player but I am worried at the cost involved in these signings.

Stephen O'Donnell -  Free Transfer, but will cost a lot in wages.
Stuart Findlay -  will cost around £400-500k. One Year Left on current deal
Kevin Nisbet - will cost around £500k - maybe less if Dunfermline are cash strapped.
Greg Stewart - will cost at least £500k but will also cost at least £4k a week in wages.

We're looking at an extra £1.5m on transfer fees, implying that the expectation is for a top 3 Finish. Considering the club made a big loss last year, can we afford to do it again?

Aye, considering the circumstances, if United started paying fees for players it'd just be utterly bonkers. The players you are being 'linked' with seem a bit nuts as well.

23 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Uhm we've got another formerly highly rated youngster who's primary position is RB.... 😂

I've not seen Freeman play a minute of football, so I have no idea whether he is good or not - but if he isn't then why on earth did Neilson sign him up!? 

21 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If you think Smith is good enough (fair enough if you don't) for the top league, then advocating splashing out a large portion of the wage budget on another player in his position when we have other priorities is bonkers imho.

I appreciate most fans don't like to think of our wage bill being finite, but it is.

Wholeheartedly agree on both points.  We are already have a Premiership wage bill - expanding that will likely put the future of the club in jeopardy.

38 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

We're looking at an extra £1.5m on transfer fees, implying that the expectation is for a top 3 Finish. Considering the club made a big loss last year, can we afford to do it again?

No.

30 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

We won’t be paying a fee for anyone.

Good.  

58 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Imagine if your super sound bonkers American chairman had set aside 5 million pounds for signings and wages for your teams first season back in the top flight for years. 

Who would you sign with that kind of money? 

Johnny-Russell.jpg