Dundee United 2019/2020

16 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

Hopefully Killie or St Johstone just take him.

I don’t want to sign him because he’ll be expensive and probably shite.

I don’t want Dundee to sign him incase he stops being shite. Someone out with this league just sign him pronto please.

Fair post.

Although I cant believe that Killie, Hearts, St M and St J have all been linked with May, yet none of them tried to sign Shankland on a freebie. Thats just bizarre IMO.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're planning on using May as a workhorse striker who never scores, youd be aswell just chucking the money in the Tay.

Main striker at Saints - 30 goals a season

Secondary striker at Aberdeen - 3 goals a season.

Fans of clubs interested - This is how he played at Aberdeen, let's do that!

I'ts been five years since his he left st. Johnstone and has since suffered two serious leg injures. I admit that I've not really seen him play, but I'm guessing he's changed a fair bit since you watched him regularly.

26 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I'ts been five years since his he left st. Johnstone and has since suffered two serious leg injures. I admit that I've not really seen him play, but I'm guessing he's changed a fair bit since you watched him regularly.

Hes not suited to Aberdeen, at all. 

Way McInnes sets them up relies on a striker simply standing still in the box and poking a tap in into the net. If you're not that type, then you're shoved into midfield.

My fears are - 
1. We have some raw talent coming through but we cannot rely on them to do the business given their age, decision making and development. Of the youngsters I am convinced that Banks will become a very good player but I worry that Chalmers and Appere are going to show flashes but won't progress beyond being decent young prospectss. I'd love to be proven wrong about Appere and Chalmers but I am unconvinced. I'm now also assuming that Matty Smith has been binned.
2. We are reliant upon two very injury prone players who may well realistically miss two or three chunks of the season (if not more). In Pawlett I think we have a player who could make a good contribution if he is fit and in Sow I think we all differ in our opinions but he should (should) be good enough to offer us something different in this division. We can't predict what might happen with them.
This only leaves us with Clark, McMullan and Shankland as our genuine forwards and creative forces. It isn't enough.

Actually, I forgot about Cammy Smith (much like Neilson has).

IF we beat East Fife we have a decent chance of going through to the next stage of the Cup as one of the best placed second spots (I’m assuming Hearts will win the group).

My reading of the tables is that there are already 3 groups where second place can do no better than 9 points.

IF we beat East Fife we have a decent chance of going through to the next stage of the Cup as one of the best placed second spots (I’m assuming Hearts will win the group).
My reading of the tables is that there are already 3 groups where second place can do no better than 9 points.

Anything less than a comfortable home win is unacceptable tbh

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think it’s impossible for us not to at least be one of the four best runners up if we win on Tuesday.

East Fife will be tougher than Stenny or Cowdenbeath but this close to the season starting for real I'm expecting (hoping) to see us beat them by at least a couple. 

Do so and I'll consider that a good pre season. 

8 hours ago, stumigoo said:

My fears are - 

1. We have some raw talent coming through but we cannot rely on them to do the business given their age, decision making and development. Of the youngsters I am convinced that Banks will become a very good player but I worry that Chalmers and Appere are going to show flashes but won't progress beyond being decent young prospectss. I'd love to be proven wrong about Appere and Chalmers but I am unconvinced. I'm now also assuming that Matty Smith has been binned.

2. We are reliant upon two very injury prone players who may well realistically miss two or three chunks of the season (if not more). In Pawlett I think we have a player who could make a good contribution if he is fit and in Sow I think we all differ in our opinions but he should (should) be good enough to offer us something different in this division. We can't predict what might happen with them.

This only leaves us with Clark, McMullan and Shankland as our genuine forwards and creative forces. It isn't enough.

Can't say I agree with this. Of the young guys I think Banks will contribute, Appere might, Chalmers probably no. I'd imagine Pawlett and Sow probably will spend some time out injured this season too but you'd have to think it's likely they'll be available more games than they won't.

Even if we do discount all 5 of those guys though, still leaves us Shankland, McMullan, Clark and C.Smith. Stanton and Harkes could also play further forward if needed, I'd imagine any other manager in this league would bite your hand off to have that kind of depth among their attacking players.

My main area of concern is centre midfield, no sure we have that all rounder type player who'll come and get the ball from the defenders and move us up the pitch, dictate the tempo of a game etc. I've a fear of games descending into short passes between Connolly and Reynolds before a hoof for Shankland to lose in the air.

Really though, I think the squad we have, used properly, should be winning this league.

3 hours ago, NEFarab said:

I think it’s impossible for us not to at least be one of the four best runners up if we win on Tuesday.

My reading was that second place in five groups could still end on 10, so down to goal difference.

We'll surely finish as one of the best runners up with 10 points out of 12 (if we beat the Fife, obvs). I haven't looked at any of the other tables but it seems impossibly unlikely that more than 12 teams will finish the group stage unbeaten.

Edited by Pull My Strings

55 minutes ago, Skint said:
On 16/07/2019 at 21:24, johnnydun said:
How is free scoring goal machine high rise heid Shanks getting on?
Must of scored a bucket load against a lower calibre team tonight?
No?
Still less goals per minute than Curran this season?

Ageing well

I'm doing not too bad for my age thanks.

Our laughing stock striker is still probably close to your big bucks top striker in the goals to minutes stakes.

Thank you.

I'm doing not too bad for my age thanks.
Our laughing stock striker is still probably close to your big bucks top striker in the goals to minutes stakes.
Thank you.
Are you sure that there is a"big" gap in weekly wage?