The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Again I reiterate that I am not impressed with our committee (chairman as I ma led to believe) pinging the letter out.

However the meeting happened at the beginning of the week what is happening at SPFL HQ? Why have they not let us, the fan base of all clubs know what is going on?

Let's be honest, we could invite the top 3 from the Highland League into League Two and the top 3 from the Lowland League in and Brechin would still be relegated at the first opportunity.

Clubs like Brechin should have a bit of foresight and should have been arguing for easier promotion into the SPFL from the beginning. Chances are, they'll find themselves in the HL and getting back into the SPFL is going to look like a hell of a daunting task for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Gordon EF

That is why I wonder if they may be invited in but not as full spfl members for season 1, so dont get the same prize money/voting rights. Then if the club remains in the spfl for season 2 they become full members. I don't believe the spfl would have to consult with the LL/HL/SFA to make a change like that. Someone cleverer than me may say that is already the case. Plus its less of an issue if the proposal is to only expand by 2 extra clubs for 1 season anyway.
There is no chance clubs in league 2 would vote to increase the size of the league to 12 for 1 season. You would need to relegate two automatically at the end of the season instead of the bottom club going in a play off.

41 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Let's be honest, we could invite the top 3 from the Highland League into League Two and the top 3 from the Lowland League in and Brechin would still be relegated at the first opportunity.

Clubs like Brechin should have a bit of foresight and should have been arguing for easier promotion into the SPFL from the beginning. Chances are, they'll find themselves in the HL and getting back into the SPFL is going to look like a hell of a daunting task for the foreseeable future.

Clubs like Brechin. All part time clubs need to take heed. We have crashed rather spectacularly and others could very easily follow.

41 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

What do you mean by 'clubs like Brechin' . Do you include your own club in that category as Brechin's record in the twenty first century is better than East Fife's

League prize money in total for 2019/20 season was £25 million according to this
https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m
Reallocating £35,000 and £30,000 for example for an SPFL 2 eleventh and twelfth place team from the total prize fund (as apposed to the total percentage currently allocated to SPFL 2 as a whole) doesn't seem particularly onerous on any current  team. SPFL2 teams would cover what was lost with an extra home game? 
Yeah, it's not a lot of money but the bottom team in league 2 only gets 0.18% as things stand. The rest of the leagues aren't going to give league 2 a bigger cut.

With a 12 team you would need to have a split similar to the premiership so you might not get any extra home games with the addition of the two teams.

4 hours ago, andrew21 said:

League prize money in total for 2019/20 season was £25 million according to this

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

Reallocating £35,000 and £30,000 for example for an SPFL 2 eleventh and twelfth place team from the total prize fund (as apposed to the total percentage currently allocated to SPFL 2 as a whole) doesn't seem particularly onerous on any current  team. SPFL2 teams would cover what was lost with an extra home game? 

Every pounds a prisoner in Scottish football. No chance any team out with Div 2 is going to vote for anything that means one less pound I’m afraid.

4 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Every pounds a prisoner in Scottish football. No chance any team out with Div 2 is going to vote for anything that means one less pound I’m afraid.

I think league 2 Clubs would be sympathetic to a 12 team league which would allow a year to actually take some time and come up with a proper reconstruction plan.

The danger will be in the Colts proposers insisting that they get their teams in. Its depressing that lower league Clubs inc HL and LL constantly tear lumps out of each other when if the top 12 would slacken their grip on 85% of the funds, there could be a properly funded pyramid system in a reconfigured set up.

Was there not a vote to increase the Premiership size to stop Hearts going down - it didn’t happen and hearts took legal action ? Or have I made that up. My point is if the SPFL didn’t make the Premiership bigger to accommodate Hearts and/or decided they should be relegated, then I highly doubt they will increase the size of League 2 to save Brechin. I think, I hope, they will do the right thing and proceed with the play-offs.

43 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Was there not a vote to increase the Premiership size to stop Hearts going down - it didn’t happen and hearts took legal action ? Or have I made that up. My point is if the SPFL didn’t make the Premiership bigger to accommodate Hearts and/or decided they should be relegated, then I highly doubt they will increase the size of League 2 to save Brechin. I think, I hope, they will do the right thing and proceed with the play-offs.

It was a dogs breakfast of a proposal written on the back of a fag packet in 2 weeks just like the Brechin proposal is too.

It really would not be hard to have a 12 team league 2 this season and that gives a whole year to come up with a properly thought out reconstruction plan where Clubs can all participate inc HL and LL.

Just needs leadership from SFA and SPFL 😂

Silence from the authorities are deafening.

Even if by some fluke we get saved by some technical issue it will not sit right with me or, I suspect many other Brechin supporters.

Its one thing being the laughing stock for our performances but quite another when you put reputation on the line and make us a hate figure.

It would take years to recover from this.

12 hours ago, mr_malcolm said:

After all this . Guaranteed brechin win the play off

Almost certainly wont happen, and I hope it doesn't just to keep the pyramid moving, but it would admittedly be incredibly funny if they ended up beating Kelty handily after all this. 

38 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

It was a dogs breakfast of a proposal written on the back of a fag packet in 2 weeks just like the Brechin proposal is too.

It really would not be hard to have a 12 team league 2 this season and that gives a whole year to come up with a properly thought out reconstruction plan where Clubs can all participate inc HL and LL.

Just needs leadership from SFA and SPFL 😂

Leadership from the SFA and SPFL ? Dream on.

What do you want the SPFL to say?

"Aye, we've got the proposal and will meet to discuss." is all they can say just now until they, you know, meet and discuss the proposal.

As for the SFA, why would they comment on a proposal submitted to the SPFL?

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What do you want the SPFL to say?

"Aye, we've got the proposal and will meet to discuss." is all they can say just now until they, you know, meet and discuss the proposal.

As for the SFA, why would they comment on a proposal submitted to the SPFL?

In that case why have they not met? The clock is ticking. This is important for 3 clubs at least. Kelty and Brora were supposed to be playing tomorrow, they have been training and testing, live streaming was in place. All costing money.

Just needs leadership from SFA and SPFL [emoji23]

Except if you give a year to come up with a proposal, it will still be naturally voted on with self interest based on where teams are - a proposal would have to come before the season started.