Belgium vs Scotland

I’d bring Armstrong and McTominay in for McGinn and McLean, with McGregor sitting alongside McTominay. I can absolutely see the argument for McGinn’s energy and pressing possibly being valuable, but it’s less likely to benefit us than his headless chicken approach to positional sense is to harm us. That’s the three most likely to give us a balance of positional discipline and composure in possession.

They’ll probably still waltz through us at will, but you have to try to counteract it.

I actually thought McLean was one of our better performers on the night. I don’t see wholesale changes being made. Interesting that a lot of the players were guys Clarke would’ve seen at first hand up in Scotland over the last season and a half. The starters were also regulars for their clubs on the whole.

I'm going.  Wasn't expecting to get a result when I booked up.   The optimist in me hopes for a draw.

It's Scotland FFS.  You know what you're doing when you go away to big teams.  It's about the trip and having a good time with your pals and visiting somewhere new.  The football is the excuse to go.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is a myth.

We've often been hopeless against the big guns.

I’ve got to agree with you here. If we were better against the higher ranked nations we wouldn’t be 44th in the rankings with at least a 24 year wait for a finals appearance, imo.

45 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Confident in getting a result after last night's performance?

We were very lucky to get a win last night given that ball coming off the post and landing at Burke's right foot. A draw wouldn't have been an unfair result.

Sorry, but I can't see anything other than a heavy defeat against Belgium.

Marshall barely had a save to make.

22 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

I'm going.  Wasn't expecting to get a result when I booked up.   The optimist in me hopes for a draw.

It's Scotland FFS.  You know what you're doing when you go away to big teams.  It's about the trip and having a good time with your pals and visiting somewhere new.  The football is the excuse to go.

Went in 2001

Spent three days drinking in the grand place

Fantastic

Stay away from the leffe triple

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

See when people talk about international football and pkayers like McGinn being put of their depth, what measure are we using?

McGinn has been a standout in the Championship. Whilst massively overrated as a league, there are plenty of teams there filled with better players than Cyprus.

I am not trying to be a dick about this it isnt a sarcastic post. Just wondering if I am missing something.

You're not missing anything. Anyone who thinks John McGinn is out of his depth against Cyprus is a morom

See when people talk about international football and pkayers like McGinn being put of their depth, what measure are we using?

McGinn has been a standout in the Championship. Whilst massively overrated as a league, there are plenty of teams there filled with better players than Cyprus.

I am not trying to be a dick about this it isnt a sarcastic post. Just wondering if I am missing something.

You're not missing anything except people havering pish

International football is average, soon as someone has a poor game knives are out and the cliched shite starts

49 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Glad you said better. He loved a pass backwards. Was awful to watch live.

However we won n that's all that matters.

McGinn needs to stop diving into challenges and stay on his feet. When he tried that twirl in the middle of the park where Marshall had to tip the ball over. :-(

I knocked back free tickets yesterday so I can’t comment on the reaction to McLean or other players. He is capable of better but I feel he was doing the job set out for him by the manager. 

His sideway pass to set up Robertson's shit-pinger wasn’t too bad in my book.  Was he not involved in the build up to the winning goal too? Anyway as said we won and that’s the main thing to take from the game. Once SSC gets the right balance of players in the midfield we can hopefully get the best out of that area of the team.

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

McGinn needs to stop diving into challenges and stay on his feet. When he tried that twirl in the middle of the park where Marshall had to tip the ball over. :-(

An impetuous McGinn decision also led to Cyprus' best chance in the first half.

He committed to getting to the ball first in the middle of the pitch, failed to and was easily turned, creating a load of space, followed by a couple of shots, one blocked, one saved.

He can be a liability at times.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

16 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I knocked back free tickets yesterday so I can’t comment on the reaction to McLean or other players. He is capable of better but I feel he was doing the job set out for him by the manager. 

His sideway pass to set up Robertson's shit-pinger wasn’t too bad in my book.  Was he not involved in the build up to the winning goal too? Anyway as said we won and that’s the main thing to take from the game. Once SSC gets the right balance of players in the midfield we can hopefully get the best out of that area of the team.

It was McGinn's sideways pass, although I'm fairly sure it was McLean who started the move with a great interception/first time pass in midfield

Guest DAVIDB69
An impetuous McGinnis decision also led to Cyprus' best chance in the first half.
He committed to getting to the ball first in the middle of the pitch, failed to and was easily turned, creating a load of space, followed by a couple of shots, one blocked, one saved.
He can be a liability at times.

I agree he hasn’t been great for Scotland where he has been excellent every time I have seen him for Villa , he would have moved for a lot if villa had not been promoted.

Armstrong has looked good occasionally for Scotland I agree that there is a better link up play from midfield to what we have posing as forwards for us, however he never looked anything more than ordinary playing for Southampton .

We do have to play the players in form and that is McGinn , we have to move away play whoever just because they are on the books of an English premier side

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

We were very lucky to get a win last night given that ball coming off the post and landing at Burke's right foot.

I find this argument a bit of a stretch. You could equally argue that we were unlucky that the initial effort his the post instead of going in.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

One of these people was suggesting that Souttar would be better, so you can infer that they are dribbling shite. 

We do have to play the players in form and that is McGinn , we have to move away play whoever just because they are on the books of an English premier side

No we don't. We have to play the beat players to help us win. Club form is basically irrelevant to Scotland aside from giving players confidence.