shopping in the high street

Ylf

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Regarding the rates I'm a bit unsure why with an extra 15000 people paying tax since the 1990s dunfermline has went from a nice town centre to a toilet and the council charging the same rates as princes street in Edinburgh?

We've lost a hospital, the parks and public spaces are a mess and recently lost the fireworks display and christmas lights.

Where is the money going exactly?

Aberdeen's even more curious.

Had to go into Dundee yesterday. What an absolute fucking midden.

Like all Scottish cities the streets are absolutely filthy, drink and drug addicts sprawled on the street (nae harm to these lads they should be given medical care), half the shops shut the other half cash only human trafficking business like nail bars.

Lots of improvements in the town in recent years and its a great city if you stick to Perth Rd or the streets aroumd the waterfront but the main drag along the Nethergate, High St, Murraygate and Seagate are abysmal.

God knows what someone arriving in Dundee by bus would think.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Like all Scottish cities the streets are absolutely filthy, drink and drug addicts sprawled on the street (nae harm to these lads they should be given medical care), half the shops shut the other half cash only human trafficking business like nail bars.

Lots of improvements in the town in recent years and its a great city if you stick to Perth Rd or the streets aroumd the waterfront but the main drag along the Nethergate, High St, Murraygate and Seagate are abysmal.

If they're on a bus I wouldn't worry about it.

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Probably think it's the same as every other Scottish city/town.

Also if they're on a bus I sense they're not posh and not ignorant to poverty.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is this a news story that I missed?  :blink:

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Is this a news story that I missed?  :blink:

Nail bars that pop up for 6 months that are staffed exclusively by people from SE Asia who only deal in cash are a front for organised crime. See also car washes, takeaways and those eyebrow threading pop up stalls.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Nail bars that pop up for 6 months that are staffed exclusively by people from SE Asia who only deal in cash are a front for organised crime. See also car washes, takeaways and those eyebrow threading pop up stalls.

Fucking hell. You'll not catch me getting my eyebrows threaded again.

(whatever that is  :unsure2:)

Regarding the rates I'm a bit unsure why with an extra 15000 people paying tax since the 1990s dunfermline has went from a nice town centre to a toilet and the council charging the same rates as princes street in Edinburgh?
We've lost a hospital, the parks and public spaces are a mess and recently lost the fireworks display and christmas lights.

Staff costs must be pretty eye-watering for Fife Council. It’s quite a big council.

Centralising services probably doesn’t help either. I’d imagine there’s less local pride in the state of places now.

If it’s any consolation Kirkcaldy is in the same state. I’d imagine it could have something to do with cutting the money the councils receive.

The councils were fairly shit in the past, so giving them less money and hoping the councillor-types and local government senior management types could keep services at an acceptable level was never going to go well.

On 11/07/2019 at 10:51, D.A.F.C said:

Although the rates are undoubtedly a factor, back in the 90s everything was in the town centre.  Duloch Park didn't exist and the retail park at Halbeath was just a new Asda, hence the Kingsgate would have been the place to go shopping with only a trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow (and perhaps that Sterling Mills outlet village) offering more. 

Now most things involve jumping in a car and driving up to the door you want, this being seen as the norm rather than a convenience.  Previously, if you wanted something as simple as a McDonalds / BK/ Wimpy then you had to visit the High Street.  If you wanted to go to the cinema, you had to go to Robin's in the town centre.  If you wanted to hear John Anderson from Gladiators shout "Dunfermline, are you ready?! 3, 2, 1...", you went to the fireworks.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

do you still shop in the high street? think i use 4 or 5 shops in dundee. do most of my shopping online. was in the centre for something in argos for the first time in ages. used to love going in town shopping but it seems a bit shit now.

In answer, yes. Kirkcaldy High Street is pretty limited these days, but I still go there occasionally. Mainly to TK Maxx, Sports Direct and shoe-shopping for kids. I still do food shopping in person but none of the supermarkets are on the High Street.

I do most of my shopping online. This has its pitfalls, especially when it comes to clothes shopping, but it’s difficult to beat online shopping for convenience, choice and price.

I've still to be offered eyebrow threading whenever I've entered a cash only establishment with SE Asian workers. They do tend to put their thumbs and forefingers close together while they discuss me so maybe that's got something to do with it.

When I was undergoing radiotherapy at Jimmy's, my daily "commute" took me up Harehills road for about half a mile, in which there were 14 hairdressers, 4 nail/beauty Salons, and three mobile phone repair/unblocker shops, along with three shops offering internet and money transfer services. Each and evry one a legitimate business and nothing to do with laundering drug money, I'm sure. It was only the local geography that precluded the presence of many hand carwashes - Seacroft is the part of Leeds for that traditional yorkshire craft.

• 6 months later...