Billy Gilmour

Kuro

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Chelsea wouldn't have done any better had Gilmour played more.  That’s completely irrelevant to whether he should have been called up before now, though.  There are five or six established midfielders ahead of him in the Chelsea squad.    Were he English, nobody here would be clambering for him to get picked.  Understandably so, for more than one reason. 

Possibly there is 5 or 6 ahead of him, but recently it looks like he's climbing that list somewhat.

2nd part in bold, there was a clamour for him to be picked among some of the Chelsea fans. So thats incorrect.

With everyone fit you could make an argument in favour of Clarke's sticking with the players who got us there approach, but with both Jack and McLean out he surely has to make it into a 26 man squad.

Who could actually be picked ahead of him as an alternative to McGregor and McTominay? Fleck, Cairney, McCrorie, Shinnie, Campbell? There's surely no chance any of them are going ahead of him regardless of his lack of games.

Fleck will go but I think it's more likely that no one gets picked ahead of Gilmour than one of the others there, although maybe McCrorie or Shinnie are more suited to what we need?

I reckon Gilmour will get two or three more games this season (I predict Arsenal tomorrow, Leicester in the league and maybe Villa on the last day) which are hopefully coming just at the right time. If McLean and Jack were fit then these games still wouldn't have been enough IMO but it's become a perfect storm for him. 

Gilmour just has to go now with McLean out. More than that, he has to play. 
A midfield of Gilmour and McGregor is pretty weak, but we don’t have many great options now.
Gilmour and McTominay in the 2 of a 4 2 3 1 would do for me. Two actual footballers who arent shite scared of a football is probably what we need to beat a high press that most decent teams play anyway, but will definitely target us with if they have watched us.

We need to be comfortable in possession in those positions. Get those two in there. McTominay can also cover the rough stuff if Gilmour is less up for that.

He trains and plays with Chelsea though, I imagine he can hold his own enough to not be a defensive hindrance to us. Half the time we make our own problems turning over possession too easily. Slot a cool head in there, rather than looking for someone who can batter into a 50 50 occasionally.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Gilmour and McTominay in the 2 of a 4 2 3 1 would do for me. Two actual footballers who arent shite scared of a football is probably what we need to beat a high press that most decent teams play anyway, but will definitely target us with if they have watched us.

We need to be comfortable in possession in those positions. Get those two in there. McTominay can also cover the rough stuff if Gilmour is less up for that.

He trains and plays with Chelsea though, I imagine he can hold his own enough to not be a defensive hindrance to us. Half the time we make our own problems turning over possession too easily. Slot a cool head in there, rather than looking for someone who can batter into a 50 50 occasionally.

Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn is a pretty fcuking decent midfield by recent standards!

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn is a pretty fcuking decent midfield by recent standards!

Id like to see McGinn in the middle of the more advanced midfielders. Wee guy loves a goal for Scotland

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I’d have a 4–4-1-1 with Gilmour, McTominay, Tierney and McGinn in a diamond. McTominay and Tierney getting up and down in the inner right and left, with Gilmour dictating play from deep  and McGinn in an advanced role. 

It sounds like liquid sex...
...but I can't help but feel that we need some Christine Hamiltons in there too. McLean and Jack were exactly that. They will be missed.

He will surely go now that McLean is injured. 

In the last few squads its seemed to me like Mclean was backup to McGregor for the deep lying playmaker role. Gilmour is the only other Scottish player composed, technical and press resistant enough to easily slot in to that position in the side. 

12 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

His passing is absolute sex. So crisp and smooth, technically he's right up there with the top midfielders in world football.

Absolutely strolling it in his third consecutive Premier League start for a team in the Champions League Final.

If he's not in the squad Clarke should be shot!

FFS he should be starting, not getting debated about for a squad place.

Edited by ArabFC

I don't think it'll be a contentious one at this point - I'd be very surprised if he wasn't in the squad, getting a half decent run of starts for Chelsea is enough for someone to be a stick on for a Scotland call up. Seeing a lot of folk still giving it the 'but Steve Clarke thinks John Fleck is better, typical Scottish mentality 🙄'  patter, even though his omission from the last squad was quite understandable given he had hardly kicked a ball in months. Whether or not he starts is another issue mind.

Edited by Fratelli