The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

You can understand why the BBC took the (disgraceful) line they did towards Scottish independence but they shot themselves in the foot to kneecap Corbyn and this is their reward.

f**k them.

When push came to shove twice in the last decade all the liberal bleating about the BBC being an impartial and trusted broadcaster turned out to be a load of shite.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

So that's ditching all C19 restrictions in 10 days, scrapping the TV license fee anda probable reshuffle. What other bones are we going to be tossed in this full on populous deflection campaign ?

Warships in the channel to machine gun asylum seekers,public flogging of statue topplers and all funding to any country that doesn't begin with eng and end in land will see him right 

I understand the concerns over the likes of Murdoch getting his hands on the BBC or whatever alternative funding means. But actually f**k them. They've spent the best part of two years toadying to and excusing the actions of a conservative government of venal sociopaths and this is their entirely deserved reward. Get it right fucking up them.

6 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I understand the concerns over the likes of Murdoch getting his hands on the BBC or whatever alternative funding means. But actually f**k them. They've spent the best part of two years toadying to and excusing the actions of a conservative government of venal sociopaths and this is their entirely deserved reward. Get it right fucking up them.

Pretty much my thinking. Auntie Beeb cosied up to the tigers, rubbed their bellies, and now can’t complain when her face is bitten off.

4 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Not sure if I’m reading this right, but are people actually suggesting that they still watch TV “live” as opposed to just streaming or on catch-up at their convenience? That’s genuinely insane if so.

The BBC produce some good and very good original content with some of their dramas and comedies. Their news and political coverage is a disgrace. Change it to a subscription service (which it essentially already is) for new content only and it’d be doing this country and its discourse all the better.

There's still something to be said for live broadcast council telly where lots of people watch the same programmes at the same time, and have something to talk about the next day. And I like having the option of just seeing what's on instead of facing the millions of things to choose from an Amazon and Netflix search, all of which come with a usually unmerited 4 or 5 star rating.

25 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Pretty much my thinking. Auntie Beeb cosied up to the tigers, rubbed their bellies, and now can’t complain when her face is bitten off.

The Beeb had its balls bitten off by Blair over sexing up the excuses for the Iraq War, its independence has been on a week kneed downward spiral ever since. Its whole governance and funding structure needs reformed, but we need to keep an alternative to corporate America. 

Edited by welshbairn

48 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Giggling to themselves about Labour setting about "nationalising sausages" well good luck to them maybe they can ask Nadine Dorries if she wants to denationalise the national broadcaster.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Beeb had its balls bitten off by Blair over sexing up the excuses for the Iraq War, its independence has been on a week kneed downward spiral ever since. Its whole governance and funding structure needs reformed, but we need to keep an alternative to corporate America. 

You and all the other libs can go and fight for it then.

15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You and all the other libs can go and fight for it then.

Messrs Bezos and Murdoch thank you for your support. If you kill off public sector broadcasting it will be close to impossible to resurrect under a more benign regime and structure. Competing needs will always get priority and capitalism gets absolute rule over broadcast and streamed culture.

Edited by welshbairn

There's still something to be said for live broadcast council telly where lots of people watch the same programmes at the same time, and have something to talk about the next day. And I like having the option of just seeing what's on instead of facing the millions of things to choose from an Amazon and Netflix search, all of which come with a usually unmerited 4 or 5 star rating.

You'll still have ITV, Channel 4, Sky, et cetera.

Amazon listings show the IMDB score which is both independent and reliable.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

It’s short sighted and wrong to confuse the concept/institution with the way it has been mismanaged in recent years.

43 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

You'll still have ITV, Channel 4, Sky, et cetera.

Amazon listings show the IMDB score which is both independent and reliable.

Sky will do just fine, I doubt ITV, C4 and C5 would survive much longer without the blessing and content supervision of platforms like Amazon, Sky and Virgin if the BBC was out of the picture.

I've never seen any Amazon rating of less than 4, even when most reviews are 2.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s short sighted and wrong to confuse the concept/institution with the way it has been mismanaged in recent years.

A fair point - but the question then arises of whether the BBC as an institution is salvageable. My feeling is that it’s likely to get a lot worse and more biased under the Tories (and they won’t be going anywhere for a while).

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I totally agree with this.  Before thar Blair kept  going on about a third way to solve everything.

Everybody was waiting to hearing his third way to avoid war in Iraq.  Instead he  attacked the BBC when they dared to ask.

They have sufferred ever since.

Edited by Fullerene

Amazon own IMDB
Also Amazon
“Best-selling Amazon products show signs of fake and incentivised review practice”

I didn't realise they'd bought IMDB, thanks.

IMDB ratings do on the whole seem to reflect consensus opinion and correlate well with review aggregators.

It's far harder to game the IMDB ratings than amazon product ones. The last items I bought on amazon had 72 and 23 reviews respectively. The last film I watched has over 141,000 ratings.
Also, even if you could exploit them to a significant degree, IMDB ratings have far less influence on total sales than amazon ratings, so the incentive is further reduced.

The point remains though, amazon video displays IMDB ratings which are on the whole fair.

For the record, I'm not really a fan of amazon and generally only use them when my family give me amazon credit as a present.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I see where you're coming from but, whilst the BBC has produced some great content over the years, it's hard to measure the extent to which it has become more or less a tool of the state. The opportunity to test the strength of its impartiality is greater now than it has been before and it seems to me it's always reflected the needs of the state at key moments. 

It might not actually be the most important thing, when you consider political bias, "regional" coverage, age and disability discounts etc but if the majority of the public say they are happy to have 15 mins of adverts every hour, then so be it.  Personally I'd rather not.

I'm not convinced that the average Eastenders addict will be happy at what will turn out to be much shorter episodes (and possibly a subscription fee). Must confess that my "they're chucking out controversial stories to deflect us from Boris" detector is twitching.... 🤔

(I never watch Eastenders, btw!) 

The Beeb is a bastion of "Britishness"

The corporation's bias (conscious and subconscious) and then the influence it was able to exert, was easily worth a good few % points in 2014. 

From an independence point of view making the BBC just another broadcasting company  is the start of a really big brick being removed from the wall. 

Southern Torys are handing another kick in the stanes to the Britnatters in Scotland, purely for their own right wing ideological reasons.

They really don't give a shite for the union.