The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Might be partly true, worried about pictures of them photocopying their arses while swigging pints of Prosecco coming out, and wanting it to look like they're resigning out of principle. 

Think it's 100% this. Have possibly even been approached by the Met already, so know they are bang to rights for partying, and getting the resignation in now ahead of it, nothing more.

Still not convinced that they will lose the next election, even with all this. An 80 odd seat majority is a heck of a number to overturn in  1 election.

Looks like Johnson will be replaced, probably after the May elections, by multi-millionaire Sunak. (his wife is 'only' worth £430 million). The bold Rishi will completely distance himself from partygate, and start pumping out the right wing tunes of lowering tax, (by of course borrowing even more), 'ensuring' (aye right) that crime figures are massaged to make it look like they are coming down, and appearing tough on immigration, all the while trumpeting the 'benefits' of Breixt and claiming that Labour will have us back in the EU.

Come the GE gammons are still gonna gammon. If they fall short of a majority their pals the Lib Dems will put them back in.

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Still not convinced that they will lose the next election, even with all this. An 80 odd seat majority is a heck of a number to overturn in  1 election.

Looks like Johnson will be replaced, probably after the May elections, by multi-millionaire Sunak. (his wife is 'only' worth £430 million). The bold Rishi will completely distance himself from partygate, and start pumping out the right wing tunes of lowering tax, (by of course borrowing even more), 'ensuring' (aye right) that crime figures are massaged to make it look like they are coming down, and appearing tough on immigration, all the while trumpeting the 'benefits' of Breixt and claiming that Labour will have us back in the EU.

Come the GE gammons are still gonna gammon. If they fall short of a majority their pals the Lib Dems will put them back in.

He's been beaten to that already

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/03/johnson-and-patels-claims-about-falling-crime-misleading-says-uk-watchdog

Edited by Soapy FFC

4 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Sunak is arguable much much more dangerous than Johnson. Multiple times smarter, but much more polished. He, however is as Tory as it comes. Folk thinking he is some sort of Mr nice guy and even a bit alof have fallen for a cleverly (and expensively) created persona. 

Rishi Sunak is only "popular" because he shovelled money onto a firepit to keep people's wages rolling in as they sat on the sofa watching Netflix for up to 18 months.

We'll see how popular he is once those same people are paying higher NI and Income Tax (amongst other things) to pay for it.

Given that people's pockets are about to be comprehensively battered like they haven't been before, I don't think Rishi Sunak is going to be popular for very long. 

No wonder he's starting to really distance himself from Johnson. The letters must be getting near 54. 

Is there any possibility we see an election in the coming months? I can’t see the conservatives holding on to their power for another 3 years after this clusterfuck.

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

In 2010, if Blair and Brown were "New Labour" then Cameron was "New Tory".  Out with the old nasty party and in with the new friendly smiley party.  If Labour had made a mess of things and it was time for a change then the Lib Dems would help a new image Tory Party that had fallen short.

This was all a lie.  The Tory Party was still the same party as before.  The Lib Dems sold themselves short, allowed the Tories to do whatever they liked and achieved nothing with their own agenda.

In the subsequent election they suffered for it and have never really recovered. 

This time round, joining forces with the Tories would not be a vote for change.  

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Is there any possibility we see an election in the coming months? I can’t see the conservatives holding on to their power for another 3 years after this clusterfuck.

I doubt it. A GE election right now, no matter who the PM is, is a GE the Conservatives will lose.

They have a massive majority - if they need to bin BJ to regain some cohesion amomgst themselves then they'll do that.

9 hours ago, Jedi said:

This is thoroughly depressing, I think mainly because it's true. 

3 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Just wonder if all these resignations of number 10 advisers and civil servants is them jumping before they are implicated  in  the met investigation and the full Sue Gray reports are published,

I think they're jumping before being pushed but i don't think it's fear of the report. Johnson already said he would re-organise the staff at number ten so their positions were already in jeopardy. Very little chance they're resigning on a point of principle. 

5 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Just wonder if all these resignations of number 10 advisers and civil servants is them jumping before they are implicated  in  the met investigation and the full Sue Gray reports are published,

Probably is, but liklihood is they are being pushed too. These folk will be the fall guys. What's fairly comical is that the MP's are all badging this as Boris clearing the dead wood out, with no one buying it. The irony is that they will be in part right. These folk are not some principled government workers, they are just as bad as their paymaster, however, the government has become so laughable that no one actually believes a single word that comes out of them.

What is also very noticeable is that they are stuck in a catch 22. They cannot repeat what BoJo said about Starmer as they know it is incorrect and could get them in legal trouble, but they cannot say BoJo said was wrong as that would be admitting he is unfit to hold office. The result is this odd position of raising Starmers position and raising Saville at the same time, but being careful to not repeat what BoJo said and not explicitly connecting the two.

It really is quite something when the governments defence is to wait for the police to 'investigate and charge us' and 'look over there, that guy didn't prosecute the guy who supported us, we knighted and was mates with or former PM'.

6 hours ago, mizfit said:

Not with that size of majority and the polls running the way they are.  Not a chance In hell imo.

I think they're jumping before being pushed but i don't think it's fear of the report. Johnson already said he would re-organise the staff at number ten so their positions were already in jeopardy. Very little chance they're resigning on a point of principle. 
They will all no doubt get knighthoods in a couple of years.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Johnson announced a "shake up" at Number 10 earlier in the week. This has been brought forward to get that and the resignation of his ally out of the way in a single day. 

What I think happened yesterday was that Munira Mirza threw a spanner in the works by announcing her resignation out of the blue.  Whilst the other three departures were going to happen anyway, they were almost certainly fast-forwarded in an effort to deflect from what was a massive boot to Johnson's baws.  I very much doubt I would find much common political ground with the bright young geeks, spads, policy wonks and party-going wanks of No.10 but I give credit to Mirza for displaying at least a shred of integrity.

And it all changes nothing; the outgoing cohort will soon be replaced by another battalion of mediocrities.  Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.