Ayr v Morton

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

He’ll try play Doc or Murdoch on the wing :thumbsdown

That would be pure Ian McCall . Doc was the only one who got pass marks yesterday and must go into anchor the midfield until the real Andy Murdoch turns up . The 4-1-4-1 allows Kelly (the goal scoring midfielder we've been waiting for)  to concentrate on attacking . Moffat on alone is far from ideal but allows us to replace him on the hour with Doolan when the tank is emptied . There is little chance Roscoe can deal with an operator like Sutton at the moment , that's a job Muirhead will relish .Quite why he was on the bench yesterday is beyond me . In Roscoe's defence ,he has time . I remember Rose's debut at Palmerston a few years ago , Roscoe will get better ,I hope . Geggan will stiffen things up and Ferguson will get his development 30 mins most weeks . We really need to get something next Saturday ,loosing at home to a team that will be fifth or sixth only spells one thing I'm afraid .

I’ve only seen Morton once so far and that was against Motherwell. Whilst I thought they looked awful, Motherwell were decent and you could see that there was a big gap between the 2 teams.

Judging by what I saw against Motherwell and what Morton fans have been saying their weakness lies in with the goalie so unless they sign a new one this week our aim should be plenty of crosses into the box to exploit that.

Not sure what the result will be but I’ll say a draw.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve only seen Morton once so far and that was against Motherwell. Whilst I thought they looked awful, Motherwell were decent and you could see that there was a big gap between the 2 teams.

Judging by what I saw against Motherwell and what Morton fans have been saying their weakness lies in with the goalie so unless they sign a new one this week our aim should be plenty of crosses into the box to exploit that.

Not sure what the result will be but I’ll say a draw.

Motherwell game was an odd one. We were still  in the game until McLean went off leaving us with only 1 CB on the park against a premiership side. Not surprised we went on to lose 3 more goals and look very disjointed.

Not sure if McLean is out for Sat but we do at least have Schaik available now and hopefully we bring in 1 more this week.

No idea why Sutton is taking pelters here, but nonetheless; looking forward to heading up for the league opener. Hopefully a good crowd and a good contest.
I was way more confident this time last year, even against a relegated Thistle, than I am for this Saturday, but we had also skewered our league cup group.
Looking forward to seeing McCowan and Kelly mainly.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think we'll adopt the same tactic, given that both of Stranraer's goals were headers from corners.

9 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Think we'll adopt the same tactic, given that both of Stranraer's goals were headers from corners.

Aye based on Saturday it's our defending from set pieces that gives me the fear.   Stranraer scored two and could easily have had more just with fairly simple balls into the box.  Can see there being plenty goals in this if the Morton defence is also as shaky as is being said. 

28 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Looks like it's gonna be decent-ish weather on Sat, best place for a beer garden before the game? :guinness

Tam O Shanter on the High St will have the outdoor bar open (i think) and is walking distance to the ground, was pretty good before the Partick and Dunfermline home games at the start of last season.

Smiths also has one out the front...struggling to think of any other ones in the town actually..

Edited by Hursty

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Tam O Shanter on the High St will have the outdoor bar open (i think) and is walking distance to the ground, was pretty good before the Partick and Dunfermline home games at the start of last season.

Smiths also has one out the front...struggling to think of any other ones in the town actually..

Nice one, Tam O Shanter, will check it out, cheers!

Despite Saturday disappointing performance and result I'm looking forward to getting our league campaign underway, Morton should bring a decent support down so should be a good atmosphere. Looking at their ins/outs during the summer they have lost some quality players, the stand out obviously being Michael Tidser. None of their signings really stand out however I am not shocked at all that Nicky Cadden has started well for them. Ian McCall really does have a shocking record when it comes to loan signings- Ross Doohan being the only one who we could say was really decent. There have been a few who have been meh but the majority have been dug meat.

I watched Morton on BT vs Motherwell and wasn't impressed however admittedly Motherwell looked decent on the night. The keeper looked particularly dodgy and we should be targeting him on Saturday.

Team-wise I'd like to see us mix it up a bit. The past two games (Falkirk and Stranraer) we have looked really flat and lacked width.  I'd like to see us trying a 4-2-3-1 formation with two direct wide players running at the Morton defence.

Doohan

Geggan Muirhead Bell Harvie

Docherty Murdoch

McCowan Kelly Ross

Moffat

Subs:- Hare-Reid, Ferguson, Roscoe, Kerr, Forrest, McGuffie, Doolan