Top of the league and you're no!

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/should-raith-rovers-be-awarded-league-one-title-if-season-cut-short-due-coronavirus-2446556
Finally, for once in the last 3 years, it’s not us who has to suffer an absolute riddy of an article [emoji23][emoji23]

You’ll not be laughing when it comes to fruition [emoji848]

I’m not a fan of the way McGlynn has explained it there- being top for most amount of weeks means nothing if you’re not top at the end of the season.

But there would be a definite argument to award us the title as we were top after the third quarter when everyone has played everyone else the same number of times.

Calling it after 30 games or something when some teams may have had harder games than others would not be fair.

Oh absolutely, if only a couple more games are played before the league is suspended or postponed or cancelled, and you’re top, you should win the league and the season can start again next year as normal really. 

But to suggest that the club who’s been top for the longest wins the trophy no matter how many points have been accrued in total is heads gone stuff 

Agreed. The point I was attempting to make though is that even if everyone plays a few more games and Falkirk are top when it is stopped, there is still an argument to give the title to Raith as we were top at the last point where all teams had played each other an equal amount of times.

It would be a proper headache to sort out though, and no clear right and wrong way to do it.

2 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Agreed. The point I was attempting to make though is that even if everyone plays a few more games and Falkirk are top when it is stopped, there is still an argument to give the title to Raith as we were top at the last point where all teams had played each other an equal amount of times.

It would be a proper headache to sort out though, and no clear right and wrong way to do it.

Hmmm, seems very arbitrary to me. For example you’ve played 2 home games v us, so we could keep going back to the second quarter or first quarter to make it “fairer”. 

It should be an attempt to finish the league and whoever is top at the end of that goes up, or no one goes up from any league and it’s a write off of a season (unlikely) 

Hmmm, seems very arbitrary to me. For example you’ve played 2 home games v us, so we could keep going back to the second quarter or first quarter to make it “fairer”. 
It should be an attempt to finish the league and whoever is top at the end of that goes up, or no one goes up from any league and it’s a write off of a season (unlikely) 

Just goes to show what a can of worms it would be if it does have to happen.

After the third quarter would be fairer than after a random amount of games in my opinion.
After half the season would be even fairer as everybody has played everyone else home and away.

Let’s just hope we manage to get to the end of the season.

Or for a more radical solution, pause the season for a few months, finish it in the summer.
Start next season around October November with a break for a couple of months in the winter and finish in the summer again with the aim of gradually moving the season towards playing summer football.....

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Scrap the Euros and try and extend the season into June if required.

Got to be a better option than picking the league leader at a random point in time or declaring the whole season null and void.

I'm not sure the SPFL have the authority to scrap the Euros. I agree with you that the season should be finished, even if that ends up being in August or something like that. It's better to play the end of this season and then shorten next season slightly (eg a 27 game season).

Just goes to show what a can of worms it would be if it does have to happen.

After the third quarter would be fairer than after a random amount of games in my opinion.
After half the season would be even fairer as everybody has played everyone else home and away.

Let’s just hope we manage to get to the end of the season.

Or for a more radical solution, pause the season for a few months, finish it in the summer.
Start next season around October November with a break for a couple of months in the winter and finish in the summer again with the aim of gradually moving the season towards playing summer football.....

Summer football will never happen in the UK and neither it should.

3 hours ago, bairn88 said:

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/should-raith-rovers-be-awarded-league-one-title-if-season-cut-short-due-coronavirus-2446556

Finally, for once in the last 3 years, it’s not us who has to suffer an absolute riddy of an article 😂😂

Raith are top of the league. If the season has to end today then they would deserve to win it more than anyone else. Falkirk would have no one to blame but ourselves for blowing a huge budget.

Summer football will never happen in the UK and neither it should.

At the risk of going completely off topic, why not?

Far less chance of enduring the horrendous conditions we’ve played our last few games in, larger crowds because you no longer have to worry about getting hypothermia, potentially better football playing on pitches in better condition.

Who doesn’t love going to a midweek friendly in July wearing just a t-shirt?
Summer football should absolutely be a thing in Scotland.

31 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

At the risk of going completely off topic, why not?

Far less chance of enduring the horrendous conditions we’ve played our last few games in, larger crowds because you no longer have to worry about getting hypothermia, potentially better football playing on pitches in better condition.

Who doesn’t love going to a midweek friendly in July wearing just a t-shirt?
Summer football should absolutely be a thing in Scotland.

Weather can be absolutely shit for much of the year in Scotland. 

The game vs Peterhead in Nov was lucky to go ahead on a heavy pitch, as was the game two weeks ago vs Dumbarton. Do we not play at all between Nov and Feb/March when games could potentially be called off?  If you want to play football games in Scotland where the weather is anywhere near guaranteed to be enjoyable then it's a very small window. 

Is there any analysis out there that shows this would benefit clubs in terms of increased gates? What's the potential impact on playing football through the peak summer holiday time for people? 

Im not sure how much people use weather as a deciding factor for going to watch football. Personally I enjoy having the football when it's not great weather, as its one of the few things to go out and do. In the summer people have far more options for activities to spend their weekend doing. 

People will turn up to watch a decent team who are in with a shout of winning things, or will go to big games. I personally don't think gate prices, weather etc make that much of an impact. 

The only time I've ever been in a ground only to see a game called off was against Dunfermline in July 2014. 

There isnt an argument for Raith being awarded the title with what we have remaining and given certains teams consistency of bottling it with X amount of games i could understand if they were running away with the league and 12 points clear but Raith dropped points at Stranraer as did we , Dumbarton beat Raith we got beat of Clyde .

Got to agree at least its not us with a riddy of a headline this time though in fairness our arguments for promotion at the time of the SPL were more valid than this one.

Weather can be absolutely shit for much of the year in Scotland. 
The game vs Peterhead in Nov was lucky to go ahead on a heavy pitch, as was the game two weeks ago vs Dumbarton. Do we not play at all between Nov and Feb/March when games could potentially be called off?  If you want to play football games in Scotland where the weather is anywhere near guaranteed to be enjoyable then it's a very small window. 
Is there any analysis out there that shows this would benefit clubs in terms of increased gates? What's the potential impact on playing football through the peak summer holiday time for people? 
Im not sure how much people use weather as a deciding factor for going to watch football. Personally I enjoy having the football when it's not great weather, as its one of the few things to go out and do. In the summer people have far more options for activities to spend their weekend doing. 
People will turn up to watch a decent team who are in with a shout of winning things, or will go to big games. I personally don't think gate prices, weather etc make that much of an impact. 
The only time I've ever been in a ground only to see a game called off was against Dunfermline in July 2014. 

Saying “the weather in Scotland is shit all year round” is a shit argument against summer football.
We don’t play at all for most of May, June or July.
Have the season finish at Christmas and don’t play at all for January, February and the first half of March.
Of course you’ll still get some crap weather but you cannot seriously say we won’t have better weather during June and July than January and February.

Not sure summer holidays would particularly affect things- we don’t notice a drop in attendance over the couple of weeks in April or October when the schools are off and lots of families go away do we?
Even if someone goes for a fortnight holiday which includes three weekends, they’d miss two home games max.
I doubt it’d be a problem but you’re right, it’s an unknown.
I know for certain that I’d take my kids far more if the temperature was 15C instead of 3C and I’m sure there are hundreds of others in the same boat.

You could be right that gate prices and weather don’t affect attendances much but I bet the standard of football would improve over the years if we played on pitches in the summer instead of mud baths in the winter.