The Big Relegation Thread

As a matter of interest, having just looked at the Championship table, if either Ayr or Arbroath actually won the play-offs; would they actually be allowed into the premiership?

Pretty sure their stadiums don't meet the criteria at the moment.

EDIT - just seen this:

Ayr United's impressive form at the outset of the 2018–19 Scottish Championship season led observers to examine the latest SPFL entry requirements due to the possibility of the club achieving promotion while still based at the unmodernised Somerset Park (all other promoted teams' stadia since the advent of the new league body in 2013 had met the previous SPL seating threshold of 6000, therefore little attention was paid to the matter). It was confirmed that the SPFL statutes only required grounds to have 'bronze standard' facilities (500 covered places), meaning Somerset would be accepted as a Premiership venue with minimal improvements

Edited by Durnford

41 minutes ago, Munoz said:

We've lost 3 in 10 or 11 games. 

But a lot of draws (only 2 wins in 14 against Premiership opposition) where you maybe deserved more? Whereas County have played us, for example, twice since Xmas, been battered in both games but got a couple of points out it.

You seem to have taken issue with my comment but, to put it simply, do you feel St Mirren are playing alright? If so, then surely only winning 2 of 14 games is disappointing? 

38 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Too many draws in some games that we should have won. 

Don't worry about us, we'll be safe.

I see you've just answered my point here. St Mirren aren't picking up the points their performances maybe deserve. 

And of course you are safe, you've been telling everyone for months that St Johnstone are going down. 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

I see you've just answered my point here. St Mirren aren't picking up the points their performances maybe deserve. 

And of course you are safe, you've been telling everyone for months that St Johnstone are going down. 

For months? I hoped they would be relegated at the start of the season as they bring nothing to the league,  but I think you'll struggle to find any comment from me since it became evident you were safe. 

It was wishful thinking and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Bring nothing to league... 

St Mirren's last 15 top division finishes: 10,11,12, 8, 8,11,8,11,10, 11,10,11,12, 11,10.

What an asset to the Premiership.

Flair comes at a cost.

I could post the all time League table again,  but I dont want to embarrass you.

37 minutes ago, Radford said:

Bring nothing to league... 

St Mirren's last 15 top division finishes: 10, 11, 12, 8, 8, 11, 8, 11, 10, 11, 10, 11, 12, 11, 10.

What an asset to the Premiership.

I know you're at the wind-up, and yeah, I'm biting, but that's a fucking bizarre post. You know someone has to finish in those positions, right? Are you suggesting our place would have been better filled by a team who... I dunno, finished lower than us in any of those given seasons?

I mean, fair play, you've had a few good years while Newco were finding their feet again but f**k me, you've won one trophy. Ever.

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

As a matter of interest, having just looked at the Championship table, if either Ayr or Arbroath actually won the play-offs; would they actually be allowed into the premiership?

Pretty sure their stadiums don't meet the criteria at the moment.

EDIT - just seen this:

Anyone who is in the SPFL right now would be fine to play in the Premiership with very minor changes.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I mean, fair play, you've had a few good years while Newco were finding their feet again but f**k me, you've won one trophy. Ever.

That is still one major trophy more than The Rangers have won (I assume they are not claiming the Tunnocks tea cakes / Irn Bru cup or whatever the f**k it was they won when holidaying at the seasides?)

4 hours ago, Munoz said:

I could post the all time League table again

How very Dundee...

"Your team brings nothing to the table! 90 years ago we finished in the top half 5 times in row!!! Massive club".

A table from the SPL/Premiership era has St Johnstone comfortably ahead of St Mirren. A table of the 2010-2020 decade has St Johnstone as the 4th best team in the Country.

Well done on that successful period in the 80s though.

Can I bring a little realism to fans of yoyo club st Mirren here?

St Mirren were a better and bigger club than Saints for much of the period up until around 1990, I accept that.  I hate to be the one to point it out, but since then I'm not sure you're grasping how irrelevant your club is to Scottish football in comparison with St Johnstone.

Over the past 30 seasons since 1990-91, upto the start of this season:

Premiership Seasons

St Johnstone 19        St Mirren 13

Best League Seasons:

St Johnstone - 3rd (twice), 4th (3 times), 5th (twice), 6th (3 times), 7th (twice), 8th (4 times)

St Mirren       -    8th (twice)

Top Six Seasons

St Johnstone 10         St Mirren 0 (zero)

Seasons in Europe

St Johnstone 5          St Mirren 0

Seasons Both in Premier/Ship League Where team has finished higher than other

St Johnstone 10      St Mirren 0 (zero)

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How very Dundee...

"Your team brings nothing to the table! 90 years ago we finished in the top half 5 times in row!!! Massive club".

A table from the SPL/Premiership era has St Johnstone comfortably ahead of St Mirren. A table of the 2010-2020 decade has St Johnstone as the 4th best team in the Country.

Well done on that successful period in the 80s though.

How very convenient.

Not just the 80's - you obviously oblivious to the other national cups we've won. 

I think you lot suffer from wee team syndrome- not to worry,  you've won the Scottish cup  and ???. 

History is not selective. 

Just now, Munoz said:

How very convenient.

Not just the 80's - you obviously oblivious to the other national cups we've won. 

I think you lot suffer from wee team syndrome- not to worry,  you've won the Scottish cup  and ???. 

History is not selective. 

St Mirren have literally contributed nothing since the 80s. Unless you're away to claim the League Cup is something worth bragging about. 

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I have to apologise for my previous post.

I think it's actually 6 seasons in Europe in the past 30 years, not 5.

Just remember that 30 years isnt a relative timeframe to compare sides, we're irrelevant today because we never achieved anything in the 50s and 60s.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren have literally contributed nothing since the 80s. Unless you're away to claim the League Cup is something worth bragging about. 

As its something you can only imagine,  I'll take that statement with a large dollop of salt.