The Big Relegation Thread

21 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously it doesn't guarantee anything, and Livingston proved that you can overcome a small budget so there's no use in middling Championship clubs crying about it, but it would be quite refreshing to have a Championship season without a clear favourite before it starts. While I'm all for small clubs staying up and big clubs going down from the Premiership for the sake of schadenfreude and boiling the piss of pundits, if you had for example Hearts up, Hamilton down and Dundee continuing to be managed by McPake then you'd be looking at a Championship where half the division could hope to challenge.

Yeah, and on that front I take your point completely.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's a long season when a Ross County, a Dundee United and a Hearts effectively have the league sewn up before a ball is kicked.

It's worse still when there's no clear favourite and your team's still shite. I present Saints in the 90s/early 00s as exhibit a.

The absolute state of this in 2003 (from our POV, not yours, obvs):

image.png.e1c598d8128cb0133993ed130ab0069e.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's worse still when there's no clear favourite and your team's still shite. I present Saints in the 90s/early 00s as exhibit a.

What an absolutely fucking glorious season 03-04 was.  Lower league 'double winners', winning the 1st Division and the Challenge Cup.  Quite a few clubs have done that actually.  Yourselves?  County did it in 2019. Think Falkirk did it the year after we did, in 2005.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

What an absolutely fucking glorious season 03-04 was.  Lower league 'double winners', winning the 1st Division and the Challenge Cup.  Quite a few clubs have done that actually.  Yourselves?  County did it in 2019. Think Falkirk did it the year after we did, in 2005.

Yeah, we did it in 2006. Glory days.

Saints still need a couple of wins and if they don’t come during the seven! games we have left in February then we will be back in the mix. 

Any of the bottom 7 are capable of winning 2/3 games or losing 6/7 in quick succession. 

It’s the combination of three factors that makes me think we’re surely out of it. Firstly, we have more points than all of the bottom six. Secondly, we have played less games than all of the bottom six. Thirdly, we have a better goal difference than all of the bottom six. Would take a worse collapse than Butchers Hibs for us to go down from here.
If we lose at home to Killie on Saturday the pampers will be on standby right enough.

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We've done it twice, m8. 93/94 and 04/05.

Fucking massive club. MASSIVE.

12 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We've done it twice, m8. 93/94 and 04/05.

Fucking massive club. MASSIVE.

I think Rangers did it too actually.  2016?  2 out of 4 trophies they've ever won.

I'd genuinely forgotten Clyde were ever relevant this century.

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd genuinely forgotten Clyde were ever relevant this century.

Clyde missing out on the top flight by a point (and some GD) is mad to think about, tbf.

Edited by Coventry Saint

St Mirren are fine, a couple of wins away from nobody having to bring them up in this chat. Keep their heads screwed on, a top 6 finish is very much there for the taking.
St Johnstone will be uninspiringly fine as per, could sleepwalk their way into the top 6 if St Mirren don't take full advantage.
Motherwell also fine, their 40-man squad will guide them through. Alexander looks like he has what it takes to get them safe comfortably.
Kilmarnock are the wild cards, depends on who they bring in. Could easily continue to struggle gaining momentum, but the right man in the wrong place can make all the difference.
United are shite... and also in trouble. They are 7th rn, and imo need most teams below them to improve to some extent to really be in danger, but it's hard to see where points are coming from. Their game against Ross County might well define their season...
...as it will for County, though their win against Accies has also done that. Joke figure as he may be, Yogi just feels to me like he has just enough to steer the Staggies to safety. He'll need a lot to go right though.
Hamilton look to be where they belong, giving up that game against RC from a winning position is criminal given where they are in the table. We all know some bullshit will happen and they'll manage to stay up again, but this would be one of the tougher escapes they will have made in their time in the top flight.
So to summarise, everybody's fine and will stay up.
Another glorious Jambo meltdown incoming.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Clyde missing out on the top flight by a point (and some GD) is mad to think about, tbf.

They had Ian Harty who scored about 40 goals that season.  I think he hauled them along for most of the year.  The Caley had a far superior squad but Harty's goals were unreal and had them up there all season.

3 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Has there even been a more Hamilton game to win than them being cut adrift but home to Rangers next?

Nope, they don't do it when you're least expecting it, they do it a week after you thought you were least expecting it.

Next Wednesday, (presumably still unbeaten) Livingston away. Rearranged game, nobody paying attention. That's when they shine. 1-2 Accies win that night for sure.