The Big Relegation Thread

On 14/11/2023 at 18:19, ATLIS said:

I think having Obileye out was worse for us than most would've imagined, Devlin was out previously as was Montano. Post international break all three should be fit, that alone should help in conceding less goals. Nottingham will actually be fit as well, Parkes back too. I think there was a point where we were down to 2 fit CBs and playing a 3 at the back formation still. 

Yep and having to play Sean Kelly as a CB for our last few games, which he really isn't. Montano filled in as a CB in a back 3 too, it'll be good when we have 3 natural CB's back playing. I also think that will allow us to be more attacking too, with the WB's getting up into the final 3rd more, to deliver balls into Anderson.

• 2 weeks later...

Motherwell v St Johnstone on Saturday feels huge.

Aberdeen and Livi at home v Hearts/Hibs feels like ones they need to win too.

Table could be very compressed again soon.

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I still don't think Aberdeen are a serious contender. One of us, County, St Johnstone or Livi might break out of the pack, but I don't see anybody else getting dragged in.

Aberdeen are about to panic and hire Scott Brown as manager or something, I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

Keep expecting Aberdeen to pull away, which they eventually will. 

It’s Motherwell and Livingston for 11th and 12th. County and St Johnstone binned their managers at the right moment and are now motoring. Whereas we’ll probably give Kettlwell another 5/6 games. 

We’ll be bottom by Christmas and stay there. 

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I still don't think Aberdeen are a serious contender. One of us, County, St Johnstone or Livi might break out of the pack, but I don't see anybody else getting dragged in.

I feel that way about Aberdeen too. But they're starting to show credentials.

Home games against non-OF are bread and butter. Aberdeen have won one out of their four, have failed to score in three of the four and are running at a point a game at home. 0 points from 2 games with Killie. 0 points from 3 games with Hearts and Hibs. Two draws against the other sides in the bottom three.

It's only Rangers keeping them competitive.

It's the stuff of relegation challenges.

I do share your hesitation to include them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Hearts on Saturday, but they are staking a claim here.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Aberdeen might be gash, but they do play Hearts at home this weekend. No result has ever been more assured prior to kick-off than their inevitable 2-0 win.

Edited by DC92

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I feel that way about Aberdeen too. But they're starting to show credentials.

Home games against non-OF are bread and butter. Aberdeen have won one out of their four, have failed to score in three of the four and are running at a point a game at home. 0 points from 2 games with Killie. 0 points from 3 games with Hearts and Hibs. Two draws against the other sides in the bottom three.

It's only Rangers keeping them competitive.

It's the stuff of relegation challenges.

I do share your hesitation to include them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Hearts omn Saturday, but they are staking a claim here.

Tbf I'm maybe being coloured by their best domestic performance of the season seemingly coming at Fir Park. I don't really want to think about what that says about us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if us and Livi are the bottom 2, what order I don't know. Like others I'm hesitant to include Aberdeen in the relegation battle as I think they'll pull ahead of the rest of the bottom 6 after the cup final with or without Robson. I expect County will spend enough in January to be safe and we've seen already St Johnstone can get wins, I watched their game tonight, it wasn't great but they won albeit via a penalty rebound plus St Mirren missed some pretty good chances and I would think that Levein would have been given assurances that he'll be able to bring in new signings after having this time since he took over to see what he's got and what he feels he needs.

58 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

It’s Motherwell and Livingston for 11th and 12th. County and St Johnstone binned their managers

Probably fair. St Johnstone probably picked the right manager to improve their defence and Adams seems to have got an instant impact at County. Their home form seems to be pretty decent against the teams around them which is massive.

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Probably fair. St Johnstone probably picked the right manager to improve their defence and Adams seems to have got an instant impact at County. Their home form seems to be pretty decent against the teams around them which is massive.

May be no more than the fabled 'new manager bounce' - time will tell.  

There is no chance this Aberdeen squad will be seriously involved in a relegation battle after their other distractions ease and/or they bin their manager.

It certainly looks grim for us and Livingston now but there's nothing to say we won't get the same bounce when managers are binned.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Without wanting to come across arrogant, I’m relatively relaxed about the prospect of this. I think our squad is good relative to this league, but being utilised appallingly. 

If we do the necessary sooner rather than later I think we’ll be ok. 

Yep, its a bit of a shame after last seasons heroics, but Robson is now increasingly under pressure - I mentioned after Sunday that his post match interview was (being kind) at odds with the realities of the match. In his post match interview last night he - again - said he was "frustrated" which is becoming a bit of a recurring theme. 

I agree with you that Aberdeen have too many decent players to go down, but as things stand I fully expect Robson to get the bullet - at the latest - after the LC final................unless you win it, of course.🤔

We hear that Aberdeen have a good squad, but the evidence is thin on the ground.

They've been poor for much of last season and this. A number of the players there lost 4-0 at Tannadice, 5-0 at Hearts, 6-0 at Hibs, and to Darvel. This season they've lost home and away to Killie and taken 1 point from six games against the sides in the top six outside the OF. They've not managed a goal in home games against Hibs, St Johnstone, and Killie.

They have good players in certain positions, and they had a great run in the spring. But that's their only sustained run of form in 18 months. I'd agree they've had shortcomings in the dugout, but there isn't a group of players there with a long body of work behind them. People just say they have a good squad. Do they? How do we know?

Awaiting the Emperor displaying his fashion items.

Edited by VincentGuerin