The Big Relegation Thread

On 03/05/2024 at 05:05, tree house tam said:

St Mirren fans now going to watch Partick? That should make them more rational......

Or inspire even louder and even more angry boos from the Thistle fans. 

I'm usually confident that the Premiership team will be too strong over 2 legs - but St Johnstone don't seem to have a functioning attack and (without looking at stats) it doesn't feel like they actually create much compared to other teams in the league.

If it is them that ends up in the playoff and the Championship team score first - it would be a long way back IMO.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm usually confident that the Premiership team will be too strong over 2 legs - but St Johnstone don't seem to have a functioning attack and (without looking at stats) it doesn't feel like they actually create much compared to other teams in the league.

Kimpioka looks decent for them tbf, I still think they'll be too strong. The chance of one of those Championship teams going through four or six games without fucking one is tiny.

i fully expect either St Johnstone or Ross County to comfortably see off any championship team they face over 2 legs due to the simple fact that being shite in the big boys league is still good enough to see off a team finishing 2/3 or 4th in the championship...im not sure what the stats are but are dundee and hamilton the only championship teams to win the playoffs which to me shows there is still a large gap.

2 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

A lot of jumping to conclusions in this thread tonight. Our away form is woeful; there is no way St Johnstone get nothing from the game against ourselves.

There is a bit of that, but our home form is excellent.  I can see us beating Motherwell.  If Livingston down tools, that might not count for anything but if they take “we’ll show em” attitude, it could mean we’re all but safe before the St Johnstone game.  

2 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

i fully expect either St Johnstone or Ross County to comfortably see off any championship team they face over 2 legs due to the simple fact that being shite in the big boys league is still good enough to see off a team finishing 2/3 or 4th in the championship...im not sure what the stats are but are dundee and hamilton the only championship teams to win the playoffs which to me shows there is still a large gap.

Livi also won it the season we came up, and United (plus John Beaton) took us to penalties. But I think the point still stands; Prem team would have to be gash to lose it.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Livi also won it the season we came up, and United (plus John Beaton) took us to penalties. But I think the point still stands; Prem team would have to be gash to lose it.

forgot about livi was it partick they beat?

26 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

Potential relegation is a fans biggest dread. Being a Dundee fan I know all about it sadly so i can understand what you are going through right now. The feeling of being relegated is hurting that much that you have to pretend that all is OK,  I'm not bothered, lets build up again etc etc

I've seen us relegated before m8, and almost relegated from the First Division. 

I've seen us win trophies and huge European games, theres literally nothing St Johnstone can realistically achieve now that I've not already seen. I just want to enjoy watching them again, regardless of level. I highly doubt you understand that feeling.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

For three quarters of last year’s final, Patrick were the better side. In the final 45 minutes County got the ball down instead of launching g it 50 yards every time and Partick couldn’t live with it. 

A competently managed St Johnstone or Ross County will be fine. 

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

If it is them that ends up in the playoff and the Championship team score first - it would be a long way back IMO.

We feel like a club that'll be mentally relegated by simply finishing 11th tbh, I can't see us winning when it matters, particularly at home. 2 years ago we had folk like Shaun Rooney, Murray Davidson, and Callum Hendry, dragging the team through.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The Scottish Premiership is the only league in the world you can get promoted from by finishing bottom.

Somebody put it perfectly last year.  Our teams are so terrible that they might just stay up.  

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

The shame about Livingston going down is that I had just found a good parking spot for games there.

It’s the 6-yard line, AMIRITE?