The Big Relegation Thread

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Have our 5 wins all come at different times, or is there a specific time that it might be worth trying to move all our games to?

Aberdeen (home), Saturday 6pm

Hibs (home) Tuesday 7:45pm

Kilmarnock (home) Wednesday 7:45pm

Ross County (home) Wednesday 7:45pm

St Johnstone (away) Monday 3pm

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looking at the table on December 17th compared to now while discussing us, and thought it was an interesting one.

20230403_092118.thumb.jpg.8bf26f3d698fb56dd64c2cfaaf8c35ac.jpg

Motherwell managing to fly up the table and secure safety despite losing 6 of their last 14 games is certainly something.

United been fucked from the start, but have claimed more points over this period than St Johnstone, who have absolutely plummeted despite the large, strong, squad being relatively unharmed in terms of injuries/suspensions/sales.

Feels Hibs-esque where the chat is about top 6 and then all of a sudden are in the play offs.

This was Hibs the season they went down, FWIW.

Screenshot_20230403_095314_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e38b1d57cbe3e728cba488030edf8839.jpg

Fucking hell that Hibs collapse was a bit special. That's a generational bottle crash, tbh. 

I personally can't see County reeling you in, but you could well finish below Killie. You'll be fine, though.

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fucking hell that Hibs collapse was a bit special. That's a generational bottle crash, tbh. 

I personally can't see County reeling you in, but you could well finish below Killie. You'll be fine, though.

13 games without a win to finish the season, last win coming on February 15th. The manager spoke about targeting the top 6 regularly.

Started with 3 draws in 5 games then just collapsed into losses.

Our last win on 18th February. Currently have 2 draws in 4 matches and 0 wins. Our manager has spoken multiple times abour targeting the top half and we have a player (Cammy MacPherson) whos a jinx. Spoke about overtaking Hearts in December (we've collapsed since) then spoke about winning all 5 games in the build up to the split and making the top half (we've not won any so far).

Next week huge. We lose to County and the whole atmosphere at the club changes. We struggle badly to get out a rut under Davidson.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

13 games without a win to finish the season, last win coming on February 15th.

That Hibs side had just chucked it under Butcher. They played us and we scored within 15 seconds, had Goodwin sent off and still cruised to the win. We ended up being the first team in the bottom 6 'safe' that year strangely enough, despite being 7 points off Hibs in that table at game 30! 

Surprised how poor St Johnstone's form has been. Was a point in the season where I thought they might push on and join in with the top 6 battle. I can't see you not picking up more points to be safe enough come the end of the season. County game is however massive psychologically given that would cut it to 5 points with a defeat. 

27 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Surprised how poor St Johnstone's form has been. Was a point in the season where I thought they might push on and join in with the top 6 battle. I can't see you not picking up more points to be safe enough come the end of the season. County game is however massive psychologically given that would cut it to 5 points with a defeat. 

Keep trying to convince myself we're only 1 win from guaranteed safety and theres no chance we dont manage that.

But at the same time we've won 4 games since October, had a run earlier this season of 6 losses in a row, last season managed a 10 game winless run. Our only striker options are Stevie May, Zak Rudden and Theo Bair, while our goalkeepers form is falling off a cliff weekly and our most reliable CB is now getting a red card every month. As it stands 5 of Saturdays starting line up (probably the strongest we can play in the shape we always play) are out of contract this Summer. Cant help but feel like our plummet will be obvious when looking at it retrospectively. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

I feel like the anomaly of 2014 is mentioned almost every season in the relegation thread(s) by fans worried that their side will "do a Hibs." Not sure of RG's already done this, but it would be interesting to see how the change in teams occupying the relegation spots - my gut feeling is that it doesn't change all that much.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I feel like the anomaly of 2014 is mentioned almost every season in the relegation thread(s) by fans worried that their side will "do a Hibs." Not sure of RG's already done this, but it would be interesting to see how the change in teams occupying the relegation spots - my gut feeling is that it doesn't change all that much.

I get that football fans are pessimistic creatures, but we are not going to get to the number of points that St Johnstone are currently on. Not happening

Just for the sake of clearing it up, my worry is solely that we finish 11th.

Theres zero chance both United and County can overtake us with so few games remaining, IMO.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I get that football fans are pessimistic creatures, but we are not going to get to the number of points that St Johnstone are currently on. Not happening

Hibs didn't finish bottom that season though - it would only require County (and us) to catch up with Saints for them to have a chance of going down.

20 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Does that consider the pre and post split issues? 

As an example a team being in top 6 after the next few games ending up with less points than a team that fails to hit the split top 6?

I dont think it will, but unsure.

38 still my benchmark figure for 100% safety.

Screenshot_20230408_203622_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7af08d93bcd4453a57ee19a275df0954.jpg

Motherwell can probably take a sigh of relief. They could lose all 7 remaining games and still likely be safe.

Very much looks like United are fucked. They play Hibs tomorrow.

St Johnstone getting sucked into the play off battle again, somehow.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

38 still my benchmark figure for 100% safety.

Screenshot_20230408_203622_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7af08d93bcd4453a57ee19a275df0954.jpg

Motherwell can probably take a sigh of relief. They could lose all 7 remaining games and still likely be safe.

Very much looks like United are fucked. They play Hibs tomorrow.

St Johnstone getting sucked into the play off battle again, somehow.

Beginning to look interesting way down below. 

worzel-gummidge.gif

Edited by Munoz