The Big Relegation Thread

Just now, GAD said:

It's very difficult for us to ignore this thread. We've been conditioned to click and participate.

TBF, I'm convinced that this should be renamed "The Big Premiership Play-off Entrant Thread".

The United thread has been confirmed as the Big Relegation Thread for ages.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, I'm convinced that this should be renamed "The Big Premiership Play-off Entrant Thread".

The United thread has been confirmed as the Big Relegation Thread for ages.

I saw the highlights from yesterday and there isn't much you can do when the keeper keeps chucking them in like that. I always think keeper is the one position you can't get away with having a really bad one. You don't need a world-beater, but you do need someone competent.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

I saw the highlights from yesterday and there isn't much you can do when the keeper keeps chucking them in like that. I always think keeper is the one position you can't get away with having a really bad one. You don't need a world-beater, but you do need someone competent.

You can maybe sneak by with a poor keeper if youve got a decent squad and the keepers errors arent overly obvious.

When youve got a keeper clearly miles out his depth and throwing them in weekly though, the whole squads confidence must be rock bottom due to it. The knowledge that no matter how hard you fight and graft, it just takes one shot on target for it all to be wasted.

33 minutes ago, GAD said:

*Snide remark about Trevor Carson*

5 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

As somebody mentioned, even if we made the play-off position I am not the slightest bit confident we have the ability to rise to the occasion.

I hope I am wrong.

It feels like Dundee United have been involved in the play-off matches more frequently than any other club. Maybe my duff recollection right enough. Can any United fan / stato enlighten me on their overall record in play-off games ?

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It feels like Dundee United have been involved in the play-off matches more frequently than any other club. Maybe my duff recollection right enough. Can any United fan / stato enlighten me on their overall record in play-off games ?

They won't be in the playoffs this year.

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Beat Thistle in 95/96, lost to Hamilton in the Final in 2016/17, lost to Livi in the semi in 2017/18, lost to St Mirren on penalties in the final in 18/19.

I think after this weekend, the bottom 2 are probably set now (although the final order isn't)- I think Motherwell and St Johnstone are out of range with so few games left and it feels like Killie's home record will get them 10th at the end of the season (Hearts propensity to be shite as soon as they're outside of Edinburgh has helped both Killie and 'Well to crucial wins in the run in).

I don't think Utd are the shambles they were earlier in the season but their main, glaringly obvious problem can't be fixed outside of a transfer window (and the Jan transfer window will be seen as the biggest dereliction of duty if Utd do go down).

County feel like they are just short of a bit of quality this season compared to previous years - it seems clear enough from an outsiders point of view that they've found recruitment to be a challenge recently.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

As expected, we're now down to 5. St Mirren and Livi both tip over the 38pt boundary. 

Screenshot_20230402_072815_Chrome.thumb.jpg.89a7008df3de1efd2b7f0a28d407e1f0.jpg

Ross County play Celtic today, obviously. 

Next week massive.

Screenshot_20230402_073019_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e362f456042839e8d96a3d76b4bfc8c8.jpg

Winnable fames for County and United. Feels very much like if they want to stand a chance of avoiding their relative current positions, they need to be winning these types of games.

My confidence we're safe is eroding a bit, and will disappear entirely if we lose v County, but i still maintain we should be fine.

Remaining fixtures are...

Motherwell (33) - Livi (A), United (H), Celtic (A)

Saints (32) - County (H), Livi (A), Hibs (H)

Killie (28) - Aberdeen (A), Celtic (H), St Mirren (A)

County (24) - Celtic (H), Saints (A), Aberdeen (H), Hearts (A)

United (22) - Hibs (H), Motherwell (A), Livi (H)

I know you're looking at 38 points but that must have been applicable when the bottom team was cut adrift and 11th did a bit better. Have you got any sort of records for when the bottom has been a bit closer?

15 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We have an easier run in to the split than Ross County, theoretically. When you're as crap as we are, no game is a gimme.

There has been an improvement since Jim Goodwin came in, but I am not sure it will be enough. Our squad is utter dreck. I'm also starting to think we'd lose a playoff if we somehow snuck into 11th.

I may have heard this bit before...........

.........but I STILL don't understand what it means.

50 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I know you're looking at 38 points but that must have been applicable when the bottom team was cut adrift and 11th did a bit better. Have you got any sort of records for when the bottom has been a bit closer?

Made a 10yr average about 12 months ago.

11th was ~35pts

FoNV2sfXwAIs6wJ.jpeg.0a32a45c524961ed4d252f0c9b8ae17a.jpeg

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers. Is that points per game?

Yeah, so theoretically Motherwell/St Johnstone only 1 win from guaranteed safety, which feels right.

Bottom 2 finish on 35+pts requires County winning 4/5 out of their remaining 8 games, which isnt happening.