Retro Slang

Dee Man

Having just seen the tremendous word 'geggie' being used in another thread, it made me wonder what other previously common lingo has been pushed to the edge of extinction over the years. I feel geggie and 'gutties' need to start making a comeback.

Feel free to post your favourite words of yesteryear here. They do not have to begin with a 'g'.

Thank you. 

If adverbial phrases are eligible, I used to enjoy "... like the bars!" to mean "... a lot!", or "... hard!"

Didn't know it until my late teens, when I was doing some sport in Edinburgh with a Fifer (so I don't know where it comes from, geographically). The Fifer was an international who trained with us and often helped with coaching advice. "Yi've got tae push like the bars!", was some of the best advice I've ever had, and it's still one of my main "swing thoughts" most times I train.

There is some slang that seems to be very specific to a time and fairly small place - I can find very little verification that “trebbed” means “to be on one’s own, friendless (Nigelled)” - generally any online trebbed results seem to revolve around using trebuchets on one’s foes (whilst trebbed, presumably) playing RTS games.

I also recall that when I were a kid our cousins from another town also in a G postcode would laugh when we described good things as pure “gemme”.

8 minutes ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Was it just an Ayrshire thing where you were up to no good and when adults were spotted you’d shout ‘edgy’? 

Keeping edgy was definitely a Glasgow thing, still might be if you drink in the street or vandalise bus stops.

30 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Not sure of the spelling, but a 'teaker' was a great shot and goal.

That just reminded me of 'beezer' for something that was really good. 

Example: 

- "Did you see Mullarkey's goal last night?"

- "Aye, it was an absolute beezer. Pity it was past his own keeper".