Stuart Campbell/Wings Over Scotland

Flybhoy

On 23/02/2020 at 22:39, DublinMagyar said:
On 23/02/2020 at 20:56, Jacksgranda said:
c247eecbb2ace450e022fed2f455068d.gif&key=fb52ff29332945849547841b278d092aceec0a9e632833de2651ce9831416cb1

Ooh. You are awful

But I like him.

Is Dick Emery on Dave or Gold or anywhere. Should be. Classics for a time when Benny Hill was acceptable.

Sadly missed. 😜

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

But I like him.

Is Dick Emery on Dave or Gold or anywhere. Should be. Classics for a time when Benny Hill was acceptable.

Sadly missed. 😜

16 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
17 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:
I'd argue that The Wee Blue Book was a major intervention into the indy debate. There are countless stories of people saying it helped them understand the issues and vote Yes. It certainly got discussion going.
Now? He's lost the plot.

This. Wings used to be daily reading for me although I never contributed - nowadays I seldom go near it. The Rev has gone on The Assange Curve.

Agreed - the indy content and wee blue book was excellent - I made a couple of donations to support it but wouldn't read anything from him now.  

Just now, MixuFixit said:

Where do you think he's going to end up? RT? PressTV? Some American thing funded by the Christian right?

He will end up just being a guy that gets quoted in the media now and again and nothing else I reckon.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Where do you think he's going to end up? RT? PressTV? Some American thing funded by the Christian right?

He'll be found in a pool of blood with smashed teeth after trying to have a pish in the Gents wearing a red frock and fishnets. He's definitely compensating for something.

40 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The evaporation of his supporters over the duration of this thread is quite amusing. 

If he goes back to writing about independence in the way he did in 2014 I'll certainly go back to reading his stuff. It was excellent and for anyone who didn't really have a significant social media presence and got handed his Wee Blue Book, his writing was incredibly persuasive. 

As it happens, to enjoy his writing, you really have to disconnect it a little bit from the personality who is writing it. He's clearly not a very nice person.

As it stands at the moment, all he writes about is this incredibly toxic trans debate which I have next to zero interest in. My twitter feed was full of this gutter debate and I realised his accounts were the root of 90% of it, so I had to unfollow.

If Wings goes back to being a site about independence with the kind of articles it had in 2014, you can count me as a supporter. For now though, and I suspect there's a fair few in my position, my support definitely has "evaporated".

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

It makes me wonder. Back when he was just general purpose abrasive and was doing good media dissection, wee blue book etc. I assumed he got so much antipathy from journalists because he was running rings around them, maybe he had more of a reputation in the business?

In the way folk like Nick Cohen and Rupert Myers are widely known to be beasts but nobody in the industry will directly take them to task. Same thing going on with Stuart Campbell, he was known to be a wrong'un but nobody would explain why?

What's that now?

Mark Lawson, arts presenter at the beeb was a deffo beast, from first hand accounts from the late eighties/early nineties, still working with BBC Four until recently, although sacked from Front Row on R4 in 2014 for "browbeating junior staff"  according to wiki. The female producers insisted they were never left alone in the same room. Not sure what he's doing now. Here's a link to a story behind a firewall I can't read. You might recognise him from the flattering pic.

mark-lawson_2843863b.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10679410/Mark-Lawson-quits-Radio-4-Front-Row-amid-bullying-furore.html

Edited by welshbairn

The Nick Cohen stuff I never knew about until multiple lefty accounts started boosting it. Rupert Myers was Me Too'd and disappeared for a few months before he got boosted by the Evening Standard talking about how being outed as a creep made him suicidal. 

On 18/12/2019 at 18:24, Highland Capital said:

Last night I watched Stuart Campbell's interview on the Alex Salmond Show.  I'd never seen the Salmond Show before (though had heard about it) and bizarrely, Campbell's interview was the least strange thing about the programme.  In fact, the interview is normal enough (despite Campbell starting it wearing a dog collar on for some reason) and things get stranger.  Tasmina Ahmed-Sheik is in the studio and talks and talks and talks before getting onto talking up interviews with other bloggers on the show.  And who's the other blogger they're talking up I hear you ask?  Craig Murray!  Murray of course being even more nuts than Campbell.  Overall a very weird watch.

I hadn’t seen that interview, probably something to do with the fact that watching the Alec Salmond Show hasn’t occurred to me before. Wings over Scotland guy seems reasonable enough there. If he can just get back to the Independence thing then I’m more than happy to read his stuff. Usually when he writes about Independence-based issues he does it in a very entertaining and logical way. Sadly he seems to have gone mental with this Trans stuff. He obviously gets really stuck in to things he cares about. Sadly Trans legislation seems to trump Independence for him just now. 

• 1 month later...
https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-silence/

Just

a wee link to when he posted about a dozen transphobic tweets to show that he wasn't being transphobic :/

Aw bless. He really doesn’t think he has done anything wrong. And the big boys said it first.

Edit: his fans are taking this about as well as you’d expect.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18425316.another-wings-scotland-twitter-account-banned/

"Campbell, who is the creator of the Wings Over Scotland blog, is now tweeting under @SealandGazette after his @RevStu account was locked by Twitter.

The Wings Over Scotland website says the Sealand Gazette site "records the many reasons why Scotland can no longer afford to stay in the Union".

It comes a month after Campbell's Twitter account for a new pro-Yes party,@WingsPartyScot, was banned as soon as it was created.

The social media site said it broke rules "against managing multiple Twitter accounts for abusive purposes".

:lol: