Stuart Campbell/Wings Over Scotland

Flybhoy

Saying it affects a tiny number of people is just apologist bullshit. And not only that, it's apologism for the rise in hate crimes against transgender people as well, which has been caused in part by the rhetoric this mutant spouts being repeated in more mainstream media.

Then again, those people not mattering has been the part of the rhetoric as well, so not surprised that the small number is being shrugged away.

7 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

Saying it affects a tiny number of people is just apologist bullshit. And not only that, it's apologism for the rise in hate crimes against transgender people as well, which has been caused in part by the rhetoric this mutant spouts being repeated in more mainstream media.

Then again, those people not mattering has been the part of the rhetoric as well, so not surprised that the small number is being shrugged away.

I  think you're misunderstanding the point I'm making. This debate absolutely should happen, the number of people involved is irrelevant in that regard. My point was that I was surprised how riled up so many people seem to be getting over it and how all encompassing it seems to have become given the small number of people it affects. It's rare for me to go on my twitter feed and not see posts about it which, given I have little interest in the debate, is what my point is. 

There is no excuse for hate crimes of any sort, of course trans people should be able to live their  lives as freely as everyone else. But clearly some people have very strong feelings about this upcoming legislation, including politicians who I have a great deal of respect for. So there should be able to be a debate around it without the need to call names (that includes Campbell as the latter part of my post acknowledges).

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Somebody defending Stuart Campbell against debate being shut down, and having abuse hurled at him.

Officially seen it all. That's tremendous.

I'm not defending Stuart Campbell, in fact that last paragraph in my post explicitly says he's also guilty of this. People hurling abuse followed by abuse in response never gets anyone anywhere which is pretty much the theme of my post.

I like Wings, the website. I like it's content on the independence debate.

As for Stuart Campbell, the man, I don't care for the way he often goes about debate on Twitter. I think he's quite capable of having a reasoned argument without resulting to the name calling as the quality of his output on his website has shown.

10 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

I'm not defending Stuart Campbell, in fact that last paragraph in my post explicitly says he's also guilty of this. People hurling abuse followed by abuse in response never gets anyone anywhere which is pretty much the theme of my post.

It's one of the main themes of his life, and he's done very well out of it.

Make no mistake, trolling is far more important to the man than any topic he happens to have latched on to for attention.

On 20/10/2019 at 14:25, welshbairn said:

He labels all trans women as perverts who are only pretending to be women so they can get into ladies toilets. That's my problem with it.

Does he?  You'll be able to quote him saying this then?

He said it’s still fair game for debate if people want to debate it.

Trans rights isn’t a subject I’m especially passionate about either, and my thoughts on it don’t really go beyond “live and let live” - may be way off, but my experience in day to day life is that that’s where a decent number people are more or less at with it? People go nuts about it on Twitter though.

In terms of Wings, I agree with some things he says (his stuff on independence is great) and disagree with other things he says. Same goes for pretty much anyone else I’ve ever come across.

3 hours ago, Kuro said:

Does he?  You'll be able to quote him saying this then?

If you can find one tweet or RT saying nice things about a trans woman or women, I'll restrain myself from posting hundreds describing them as perverts.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If you can find one tweet or RT saying nice things about a trans woman or women, I'll restrain myself from posting hundreds describing them as perverts.

I've not caught any comments from him labelling all trans individuals as perverts. 

His delivery of his concerns and his general attitude towards people is shit but I've definitely never seen take a broad brush and label all trans individuals as perverts. 

Happy to be proved wrong I'm fed up of the c**t now after being a big fan of his work in relation to indy stuff. 

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

It's a lot of "we can't let any trans women use the ladies bogs because this guy in a dress got in that one time" stuff. Exactly the same lines as were used around lifting section 28.

Exactly this.

The nonsense spouted in some quarters, dressed up as concern for women's rights and protection of women-only spaces, is nothing short of tarted up bigotry.

The usual TERF line is something along the lines of 'We can't let penis-owners into women's private spaces, because they'll rape/abuse us'. 

It needs pointed out to them that the majority of them are quite happy to share bathroom facilities at home with Fathers, Brothers, Partners, etc, all 'penis owners' who are, by an order of magnitude, far more likely to rape or assault them. It's simple old-fashioned bigotry disguised as 'genuine concern', in no different a way to 'we can't let homosexual men teach children because they'll sodomise/convert them to homo' was a commonly espoused point of view until not so very long ago.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 24/10/2019 at 00:06, welshbairn said:

Hundreds eh, how about just one then....

17 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Hundreds eh, how about just one then....

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1139448688311451649.html

Well, there you go, that took all of 5 seconds of searching. I presume Campbell has solid research that'll back up his assertion of additional rapes and sexual assaults inescapably following and can show those figures?

Edited by carpetmonster

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

You'll need to point out The part where he calls.them perverts. Can you quote it?

Yeah, sorry edited while you were replying to highlight the bit where the direct quote is 'The additional rapes and sexual assaults which will inescapably follow are Nicola Sturgeon's responsibility.'

So if we're taking it that rapists and sexual assaulters aren't perverts, then you're right, he's entirely in the clear. 

Yeah, sorry edited while you were replying to highlight the bit where the direct quote is 'The additional rapes and sexual assaults which will inescapably follow are Nicola Sturgeon's responsibility.'

So if we're taking it that rapists and sexual assaulters aren't perverts, then you're right, he's entirely in the clear. 
Self ID means that effectively anyone can declare themselves a woman and enter women-only spaces not just trans women.

12 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Self ID means that effectively anyone can declare themselves a woman and enter women-only spaces not just trans women.

But you can't discriminate against folks because other folks are wilfully being arseholes.