General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Polling station empty ( apart from me,the wife and young lad)
3 votes for Pete Wishart that he didn't have last time.
I'm sure Chris Law won't miss them emoji106.png

I have that covered mate.

3 new votes for Chris Law from our house since our move from Banff & Buchan.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, johnthebaptistist said:
No such thing as child poverty, it's the parents that are poor, the child does not influence how much money comes into the household. 

I'm volunteering today at a food bank - you should try it sometime you smug p***k.

Well done you, I work so that I can feed, heat and keep a house over my head, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on folk who can't be arsed doing the same

1 minute ago, johnthebaptistist said:

Well done you, I work so that I can feed, heat and keep a house over my head, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on folk who can't be arsed doing the same

One day you'll be ashamed of that remark. I hope, anyway.

On a more positive note, son has decided to travel home just so he can help lock Boris out.  And mum - a lifelong conservative in Perth - has decided to stay at home for the first time because she thinks the future belongs to the young. And because of Boris.

Good on you, Mum.

Guest bernardblack
On a more positive note, son has decided to travel home just so he can help lock Boris out.  And mum - a lifelong conservative in Perth - has decided to stay at home for the first time because she thinks the future belongs to the young. And because of Boris.
Good on you, Mum.

It’s marginal gains like this, all over the UK, that will make the change. Good on the pair of them

5 minutes ago, johnthebaptistist said:

Same as my other half and myself. We both work hard. Our neighbour has not worked for over three years. He is fit and healthy and is or was a qualified plumber. Speaking to him he says he can't be bothered working as the dole pay his rent, council tax and he gets good benefits. He has Sky tv and up until a couple of months ago ran a car. The guy is fit and healthy and could easily work if he wanted to. And you would never believe this but he has a poster to vote for Dave Doogan of the snp in his window. Really annoys me that people like him get away with it.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:
2 hours ago, ford prefect said:
What the Tories did in the 80s
Proportion of people living below the poverty line increased from 13% to 43%
Child poverty doubled
Increased the gap from the top 10% of the population to the bottom 10% from 5 times to 10 times as much
Just a few examples of what the Tories did to the working class people in our country. But it's ok because some people could buy their house. Oh and no more were allowed to be built with the proceeds, thereby fucking the next generation.
Scum of the earth

This Right to Buy pish, heralded as some great give away to the public. It got rid of housing stock that mostly needed a large investment to bring it up to standard. Tories just passed the problem on.

Oh absolutely. However no-one was forced to buy their house. People did so because they liked the idea of the discount, and they knew that if they owned their own property their living standards would improve because they would be able to make the necessary repairs and improvements without having to wait years for the council to find the money. 

Look the state of council housing stock in the late 70's particularly in Glasgow was shockingly bad. My parents rented a tenement flat from Glasgow Council in the 60's and 70's. From memory I think it was 1970 before we had a toilet inside the flat. Prior to that we shared a toilet on the landing with the family living across from us! The sash windows in the tenement were rotten, and when it rained and there was a slight wind blowing, we'd have to put towels down around the areas near the windows to protect the carpets and wooden floor boards. The council had no money for maintenance and repairs. I remember going to visit one family who lived in our block whose floorboards in their bathroom had rotted after they had a flood from their bath - this would be around 76 or 77 - and one of the people living there had fallen through their floor. You could look through the hole and see the toilet below. The council told them they'd have to wait 6 months before they could afford to fix it!

The thing is the selling off of this stock wasn't a new thing. We moved in 1978 - my Dad had to save up a 50% deposit before being able to convince the bank to grant a deaf tradesman a mortgage to buy a house. Immediately after we left the council replaced the windows and put the house up for sale. Councils everywhere were selling off housing stock way before Right To Buy. What Right to Buy did was it gave long term tenants the right to purchase the house they'd been living in for years at a discounted price. It's correct it could be argued that the money raised should have been re-invested by the councils into replenishing council housing stock, but anyone that remembers the era will know that when these kind of council schemes to build houses were put in place they were often blighted by corruption.