General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Millarman said:

Same as my other half and myself. We both work hard. Our neighbour has not worked for over three years. He is fit and healthy and is or was a qualified plumber. Speaking to him he says he can't be bothered working as the dole pay his rent, council tax and he gets good benefits. He has Sky tv and up until a couple of months ago ran a car. The guy is fit and healthy and could easily work if he wanted to. And you would never believe this but he has a poster to vote for Dave Doogan of the snp in his window. Really annoys me that people like him get away with it.

I hate it when made up people commit crimes too.

2 minutes ago, Millarman said:

Same as my other half and myself. We both work hard. Our neighbour has not worked for over three years. He is fit and healthy and is or was a qualified plumber. Speaking to him he says he can't be bothered working as the dole pay his rent, council tax and he gets good benefits. He has Sky tv and up until a couple of months ago ran a car. The guy is fit and healthy and could easily work if he wanted to. And you would never believe this but he has a poster to vote for Dave Doogan of the snp in his window. Really annoys me that people like him get away with it.

Daily mail reader found.

Anyway, back on topic. I voted - for the Conservatives. When I went to my polling station at around 2pm the only people there were the two bored officials. I asked if the turnout was good, and the lady said it had been "alright" however they were still on their first box and it didn't appear to even be half full to me when I put my vote in. Plenty of time left I guess, but I'd imagine this would be the election to work at the count - a fixed fee for what will probably be no more than a few hours work by the looks of it. 

3 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Oh absolutely. However no-one was forced to buy their house. People did so because they liked the idea of the discount, and they knew that if they owned their own property their living standards would improve because they would be able to make the necessary repairs and improvements without having to wait years for the council to find the money. 

Look the state of council housing stock in the late 70's particularly in Glasgow was shockingly bad. My parents rented a tenement flat from Glasgow Council in the 60's and 70's. From memory I think it was 1970 before we had a toilet inside the flat. Prior to that we shared a toilet on the landing with the family living across from us! The sash windows in the tenement were rotten, and when it rained and there was a slight wind blowing, we'd have to put towels down around the areas near the windows to protect the carpets and wooden floor boards. The council had no money for maintenance and repairs. I remember going to visit one family who lived in our block whose floorboards in their bathroom had rotted after they had a flood from their bath - this would be around 76 or 77 - and one of the people living there had fallen through their floor. You could look through the hole and see the toilet below. The council told them they'd have to wait 6 months before they could afford to fix it!

The thing is the selling off of this stock wasn't a new thing. We moved in 1978 - my Dad had to save up a 50% deposit before being able to convince the bank to grant a deaf tradesman a mortgage to buy a house. Immediately after we left the council replaced the windows and put the house up for sale. Councils everywhere were selling off housing stock way before Right To Buy. What Right to Buy did was it gave long term tenants the right to purchase the house they'd been living in for years at a discounted price. It's correct it could be argued that the money raised should have been re-invested by the councils into replenishing council housing stock, but anyone that remembers the era will know that when these kind of council schemes to build houses were put in place they were often blighted by corruption. 

People bought their Council houses to make a quick buck primarily - nowt to do with waiting times for repairs and improvements by the Council. The ones that were in disrepair or needing modernised were the very ones that no one wanted to buy. Trust me I worked in that area during the "boom" in LA stock sales and it was mostly fuelled by greedy families wanting to make a quick buck !

1 minute ago, Malky3 said:

Anyway, back on topic. I voted - for the Conservatives. When I went to my polling station at around 2pm the only people there were the two bored officials. I asked if the turnout was good, and the lady said it had been "alright" however they were still on their first box and it didn't appear to even be half full to me when I put my vote in. Plenty of time left I guess, but I'd imagine this would be the election to work at the count - a fixed fee for what will probably be no more than a few hours work by the looks of it. 

Nice one, another vote for the Conservatives. 👍

4 minutes ago, Millarman said:

🤣  No way a PLUMBER gets more on benefits than he would working. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

People bought their Council houses to make a quick buck primarily - nowt to do with waiting times for repairs and improvements by the Council. The ones that were in disrepair or needing modernised were the very ones that no one wanted to buy. Trust me I worked in that area during the "boom" in LA stock sales and it was mostly fuelled by greedy families wanting to make a quick buck !

It wasn't that quick. I don't know all the rules but didn't you have to remain in the house for a period of up to five years before you could sell. 

Just now, cyderspaceman said:

🤣  No way a PLUMBER gets more on benefits than he would working. 

Agreed. However the way we handle benefits in this country there is every possibility that he might be able to do well enough from benefits to make a decision he no longer fancies spending half his life getting covered in shit.