Best city to live and work in Scotland is....

tarapoa

Got to find it entertaining when the 'live & work' findings of one the world's Big Four business auditors is challenged based on the experiences of a few clubs, repeated visits to the same hotel bar (spent chatting with other visitors) and a trip to ASDA. 

Nah. I’ll wager the ‘Big Four auditor’ did it via some spreadsheet algorithm and not one real person from said firm actually had anything close to a real life experience in the ‘audited’ cities.

On 13/11/2019 at 03:53, invergowrie arab said:

I would live in any city in Scotland before Aberdeen, even Stirling.

Let that sink in.

Flat share with Magee?

Positive - plumbing will be tip top

Negatives - Tony may have to sleep over some nights.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

Not a joke, just seems weird how they have same accents despite being about 200 miles apart with all sorts of different accents in between. I’m not happy about it.

During the wars of indepedence the Bruces engaged in acts of ethnic cleansing against disloyal families along the aberdeenshire/moray coast. Displacing or wiping out the Gaelic/Picto-Gaelic population and planted the area with loyal northumbrians/cumbrians.

The subsequent linguistic isolating of this anglo fringe around Gaelic areas is partly why the doric language remains so strong and distinct to this day.

That and the majority of interaction between the north east coastal burghs would have been with other coastal burghs up and down the east coast of britain, rather than with less developed agrarian societies inland.

Maybe

On 13/11/2019 at 19:21, Day of the Lords said:

Aberdeen is shite. Cold, dreadful building and full of c***s. I'm biased but Dundee is ace.

Entirely agree on both points. Both Aberdeen and Dundee have improved immesurably over the last decade or so, but Aberdeen is so cold all the time, and so loaded with miserablist Aberdonians, that it is not for me.

Dundee is brilliant. Even from when I moved there in 2005 until leaving in 2014/15 it changed massively, and continues to do so. The redevelopment of the waterfront made such a difference. Brilliant wee communities of just about everything on the go, and everything basically next door to your house. If it was 45 minutes closer/quicker to family, job and that, I'd be there no bother.

Edited by thisGRAEME

• 1 year later...

The correct answer is of course not to live in a city, because they’re mostly awful.

However of all the cities, Aberdeen is among the worst. The worst thing about it isn’t how grey it is, it’s the sizeable amount of oil and gas workers who live there. I actually considered moving into the industry years back, but went to do my CompEx training at Altens and the thought of turning into one of the people I met on that course put me off completely. All they talked about was personal finances, investments, the industry or a combination of the three. 

The best city to live in in Scotland is Inverness, because it’s pretty much just a big town and the least city-like.

On 14/11/2019 at 20:50, Melanius Mullarkey said:

See when it’s Winter in Aberdeen, it’s winter everywhere else in Scotland.

To paraphrase Mark Twain “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Aberdeen”.

On 14/11/2019 at 19:35, gannonball said:

Aberdeen is much better now than it was say 10 years ago but is still the worst city in Scotland for me imo. I frequent up there quite a lot and did live there for a few years but Winter time and the grey buildings everywhere make it quite a depressing place.

Worked up there for 5 months a few years ago. Lived in Blackburn and worked in Ellon, but was in and out Aberdeen 3 or 4 times a week and it’s the most dull, dreary and depressing place I’ve ever been. Grey is the main theme of Aberdeen, grey skies, grey buildings, grey everything. Best thing I found in Aberdeen was the driving range beside Pittodrie, but even that is a bit of a dump. When the contract got pulled early and I was able to move back to Glasgow you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face the full journey down the road. Not even mentioned the people either, but will leave that for another day. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee are all places with a lot going for them that I'd be happy to live in. Aberdeen is rubbish. Don't think there's anywhere else that's truly a city in Scotland 

If the rate of new build housing in Cambuslang doesn't slow down soon, expect it to gain city status by 2030.

The cultural quarter might need a bit of work to get it over the line though.

1 minute ago, Andrew Driver said:

I'd class Cambuslang as in Glasgow.  I think it's technically in South Lanarkshire but it's absolutely an extension of the city with no green belt to differentiate or act as a boundary.   East Kilbride is when you leave Glasgow to the south.   

Ooft! Controversial 😉

Technically there is some grass on the roundabout as you approach Rutherglen, so...

The correct ranking is:  

1.  Perth 
2.  Inverness 
3.  Edinburgh 
4. Glasgow 
5. Stirling 
6. Aberdeen 
7. Dundee 
Perth used to be great place for a pub crawl but I genuinely think it's gone downhill in the past 20 years.

As for your Dundee 7th rating - I'll put that down to a wee neighbour mentality.