The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Week 5 update

Three deaths this week, so there'll be a minimum of input from me.

First up is one from last week who didn't have an obituary. Dutch footballer, Rob Rensenbrink: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/01/26/rob-rensenbrink-fast-elusive-dutch-footballer-nicknamed-snake/

He won several European and domestic trophies with Anderlecht, and was in the Dutch team that were runners-up in the 1974 World Cup. A Solo Shot for @JustOneCornetto, he was worth 53 Base Points. Add the Solo Shot bonus and he's worth a total of 103 points.

Up next was former television man, Nicholas Parsons: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11808907

Completely before my time, I'm afraid. Wikipedia says he once held this world record for longest after dinner speech at 11 hours before Giles Brandreth re-took the record from him, so just let that sink in. He was 96 when he died, so he's worth 29 Base Points for @choirbairn, @ICTJohnboy, and as @sureiknow's Vice-Captain he gets an extra 15, for 44 points.

Up last was racing driver, John Andretti: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/american-sports/breaking-john-andretti-dead-56-21398430

Not sure this is the best passage to have in an obituary, mind you:

Andretti raced all types of cars, but spent the most time in NASCAR's top series, running 393 races.

He won twice, in the 1997 summer race at Daytona International Speedway and in 1999 at Martinsville, Virginia, winning for Petty Enterprises.

His uncle Mario Andretti was the only driver to win NASCAR's Daytona 500, the Formula One driver's championship and the Indy 500 during his career. He won the 1967 Daytona 500, the 1969 Indianapolis 500 and the 1978 Formula One Championship

Ouch. Andretti was 56 when he died, so he was worth 69 Base Points. He was a Deadly Duo for @Bishop Briggs and @thistledo, so he was worth 94 points total for them.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 242
2. JustOneCornetto 151
3. alta-pete, sparky88 124

5. Musketeer Gripweed 96
6. thistledo 94
7. Ned Nederlander 72
8. chomp my root, Fuctifano,Ludo*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine, The_Craig, weirdcal 48
15. sureiknow 44
16. choirbairn, ICTJohnboy 29
17. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

On 30/01/2020 at 20:58, senorsoupe said:

As someone who lives in North America and follows motorsports I see news over here about John Andretti passing

Not sure he will get a qualifying UK obituary though..

Is that not what you're supposed to do in motorsports?

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

That @Bishop Briggs is certainly giving us an early bashing, that’s for sure. Here’s hoping he knackers himself by Easter otherwise we’d all be as well playing among ourselves....

As long as he doesn't have Jesus as a solo on Good Friday, we should be fine.

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

In American media news, tobacco industry shill, cigar spokesman and all-round far-right blustering windbag Rush Limbaugh has just announced he's got advanced lung cancer. Who says God doesn't have a sense of humour?

Rush Limbaugh? Fucked lymphnode more like 

14 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Arap Moi had been very ill for years, in and out of hospital. He was on my long list but too old to make the cut.

A quick glance down the lists in Miguel's spreadsheet suggests he'd have been a solo shot - an open goal missed! 😎

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Arap Moi had been very ill for years, in and out of hospital. He was on my long list but too old to make the cut.

A quick glance down the lists in Miguel's spreadsheet suggests he'd have been a solo shot - an open goal missed! 😎

He was a Solo Shot for @Once A Rover always a Rover last year.