Saints v Buddies 21/12/19

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
Thoughts were just they played a kid at CB last week and highlights show him culpable for 3 goals they conceded. Our own season so far shows a shite defence makes the rest of your team redundant   No sympathy in football, if they play him again, stick two up front and target the c**t for 90 minutes.

5 3 2 surely? Our defence is so bad you could easily play 5 forwards. Not looking forward to witnessing the carnage this afternoon from your free scoring strikers. :)

Edited by NorthBank

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

5 3 2 surely? Our defence is so bad you could easily play 5 forwards. Not looking forward to witnessing the carnage this afternoon from your free scoring strikers. :)

You seem to have taken a bizarre amount of offence at what I've said and I've no idea why.

My point is simply that a weak CB can throw your gameplan out the window, so we should be targeting them if they play. FWIW I suspect you'll play a half fit senior CB instead.

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

Can't get too carried away. Our last two wins have just been against Hearts and I'm not sure they've beaten anyone for months?

Theyve apparently not scored outside Edinburgh since August.

As I say, I'd take a draw today. This will be the toughest game we face out this "run of five" important fixtures.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You seem to have taken a bizarre amount of offence at what I've said and I've no idea why.

My point is simply that a weak CB can throw your gameplan out the window, so we should be targeting them if they play. FWIW I suspect you'll play a half fit senior CB instead.

The :) would indicate no offence but an element of gentle sarcasm. Maybe this time of year is making you over sensitive.

The Jonnies seem very confident for this afternoon for some reason. We won our last Away game at Hamilton and drew against Livi last week. We should have taken at least a draw from both the Aberdeen and Hibs games and we beat Ross County at home recently. The only poor performance in the last six games was against Motherwell. Looks like McGinn and Foley may be fit this afternoon so the young lad should be on the bench. 

Merry Xmas to all the Fakes.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

The :) would indicate no offence but an element of gentle sarcasm. Maybe this time of year is making you over sensitive.

The Jonnies seem very confident for this afternoon for some reason. We won our last Away game at Hamilton and drew against Livi last week. We should have taken at least a draw from both the Aberdeen and Hibs games and we beat Ross County at home recently. The only poor performance in the last six games was against Motherwell. Looks like McGinn and Foley may be fit this afternoon so the young lad should be on the bench. 

Merry Xmas to all the Fakes.

Why on earth do you think we're confident? 

I'd say we are fairly unique in the league in that we very, very rarely demonstrate confidence beyond our results and abilites. There's a large chunk of our support that seem to actively want relegation as it's 'where we belong', as if the last decade has been some sort of fever-dream and we need to get back to medioctity and restore normality.

If anything we play ourselves down too much, we need more of the reality-blind confidence that seems to seep out of some of the absolute dross in this division. 

I agree with @RandomGuy that this will the hardest of the 5 fixtures aginst the bottom 5. 

Merry Christmas and HNY to you and yours also. 

11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Thirdly, no matter what the result today, St Mirren at home is obviously not a more difficult game than Hearts at Tynecastle, something I’m sure some of the St Mirren fans would agree with. 

Not sure that's true this year tbh

Edit: Should have said it really depends on the available squads. Hearts missing Naismith is a very different team. I'd take a fully fit and in form St Mirren to at least draw with the Hearts squad we faced, home or away. Similarly, a fully fit Hearts at Tynecastle would, I agree, be a harder proposition than St Mirren at McDairmid. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

19 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Thirdly, no matter what the result today, St Mirren at home is obviously not a more difficult game than Hearts at Tynecastle, something I’m sure some of the St Mirren fans would agree with. 

It's a no from me, Ali.

A half arsed Hearts squad with no idea how to play how their manager wanted, v a side scrapping for every point and who all know their roles.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

St Mirren have lost 8 of their 9 away games this season. Hearts are obviously murder, but getting three points at Tynecastle is still a much bigger ask than beating St Mirren at home. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster today, but you’ve got to be looking to win games like this, and the theory that it is the hardest of our five games is absolutely baseless. 

Maybe. Perhaps it's just the cold sweats from thinking about the away game earlier in the year. 

Here's another reason to be hopeful of a feast of football today. St Mirren are the worst away team in the league (3 points from 9 games, coming from Hamilton) and we are the second poorest home team (8 points from 8 games, although we've only lost to top 6 sides).

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

St Mirren have lost 8 of their 9 away games this season. Hearts are obviously murder, but getting three points at Tynecastle is still a much bigger ask than beating St Mirren at home. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster today, but you’ve got to be looking to win games like this, and the theory that it is the hardest of our five games is absolutely baseless. 

We have lost 8 out of 9 Away games almost all by a single goal. However we played well in all these games except Hearts and Motherwell. The problem was not taking the chances we created with the poorest goals For in the League. However in the last 7 games we have scored 10 and the strikers are now beginning to find the net (Obika scoring 5 in the last 10 games). Even with a severely weakened defence they put up some excellent shows recently. 

Today's defence will be players playing out of position again but at least they should be experienced players (if declared fit). I expect a tough game but the midfield and forwards are clicking so as long as the defence do their job we can go into the game with some confidence.

But Hearts are on a roll so worry more about them :)

17 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Maybe. Perhaps it's just the cold sweats from thinking about the away game earlier in the year. 

Aye, genuinely never seen anything like it. Kennedys comments today make it sound like the players remember it too.

In the past, youd know that would bring a reaction and huge performance, with this squad? We just don't know yet.

Every time I see them they look like your bottom half, functional, 4-4-2 side. Everyone knows their role and theres no daft philosophy they try and stick too. First goal makes or breaks this game for us, we had the chance to get it in Paisley are completely blew it, before handing them the lead, that cannot be repeated. 

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

We have lost 8 out of 9 Away games almost all by a single goal. However we played well in all these games except Hearts and Motherwell. The problem was not taking the chances we created with the poorest goals For in the League. 

This was literally us in the build up to the game in Paisley.

Looking for the same formation and I would bring in Hendry for May (Craig for Holt if he is not fit). It has served well in the past two games no need to fix it if it is not broken.

Kennedy and MOH wide left and right are starting to get back into their stride and hopefully a goal each today.

lineup (3).png

Edited by Templar

Just now, Templar said:

How wrong was I: McCann on the bench, Wright on the right wing and MOH up front. Too many changes for something that wasn't broken

EMUJpVuWkAUtmQA.thumb.jpg.ae3be999b7a5ae50b9dbc32fe6e17ab1.jpg.b52d8cdfe97e6b09792c4b291ba562c8.jpg

If it's the set up he thinks is best for St Mirren, then he has to pick it. You cant just pick the exact same team every week and expect it to work.

Massive message being sent to May if we're playing two up front, with one of our three strikers injured, and hes on the bench. Cant accuse TW of not making brave decisions.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Our back line just gives me the fear.

Flynn McGinn McLaughlin Waters.

Foley returning is a huge plus and MacPherson is turning into a tidy footballer. Would rather see Flynn in the engine room where he is most effective though.

Your twitter makes it look like MacPherson at right back?

EMUJ8TiXsAAGsYd.thumb.jpeg.ab43d3977165973e7c84a51c3a8a1491.jpeg

Although some teams Twitter (Hearts) just chuck the names out at random.