The Mandalorian

MuckleMoo

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Luke's a legend but he's not walking around with a biographer, he's not having films or TV shows made about him. It's all purely word of mouth. Only a handful would know any of the specifics the likes of Leia, Han etc and there's apparently anywhere from 50-69 million inhabited systems in the Star Wars Universe.

Other than being the guy that brought down the Emperor and a Jedi. What are they meant to know.

So no-one asked any questions about this legend? What you're saying is that there was this guy - a legend - who defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor and was one of the key rebels who brought down the entire Empire but afterwards everyone just shrugged their shoulders, got on with their lives and didnt take any interest at all in what happened? In 50 million inhabited systems, no one took any interest whatsoever?

How did this guy kill Darth Vader? I heard he has special powers, wonder what they are? How did he become a jedi?

No one in all these worlds asked these questions? And once they do, surely word would spread pretty quickly, even by word of mouth? Particularly, on the systems where it all happened, which the Mandalorin went back to.

Just seems a bit odd, to be honest. But I dont want to detract from how amazing the show was, so Im happy to let it go

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So no-one asked any questions about this legend? What you're saying is that there was this guy - a legend - who defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor and was one of the key rebels who brought down the entire Empire but afterwards everyone just shrugged their shoulders, got on with their lives and didnt take any interest at all in what happened? In 50 million inhabited systems, no one took any interest whatsoever?

How did this guy kill Darth Vader? I heard he has special powers, wonder what they are? How did he become a jedi?

No one in all these worlds asked these questions? And once they do, surely word would spread pretty quickly, even by word of mouth? Particularly, on the systems where it all happened, which the Mandalorin went back to.

Just seems a bit odd, to be honest. But I dont want to detract from how amazing the show was, so Im happy to let it go

Of course there will be those asking questions but there's only one person that can answer them, Luke. He's a bit busy disappearing after ancient Jedi artifacts and training his sister to be playing 20 questions with the Galaxy.

Of course there will be those asking questions but there's only one person that can answer them, Luke. He's a bit busy disappearing after ancient Jedi artifacts and training his sister to be playing 20 questions with the Galaxy.

Really? No one else would habe known anything about it? That sounds pretty implausible

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:
23 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Really? No one else would habe known anything about it? That sounds pretty implausible

He leaves Hoth without telling anyone and goes off to Dagobah. Leia, Han, Chewie, C3PO, R2D2, Lando. Maybe some higher ups in the Rebel Alliance. It's not like Luke had a particularly large circle to be around. How exactly is word of mouth of the specifics of his training meant to go around with that limited contact?

You'd also be reliant on Luke describng Jedi Master Yoda as a little green alien of unknown origin with enough differentiation to all the other green aliens in the universe.

Without the people who actually know saying anything, all anyone can have is hearsay and rumours, and even then, who's going to be the ones spreading the rumours, given the secretive nature of it?

I'd say it's more implausible that some random decides to just bump their gums all of a sudden.

It's been a while since I watched the original trilogy. I'd forgotten that it was the Millenium Falcon that destroyed the 2nd Death Star. Maybe Luke never claims credit for his part in the Emperor's death beside his inner circle and just about everyone that say him battle Vader etc would likely have died in the explosion as well.

So what big public acts of Force powers does there exist of Luke that has lots of witnesses that people would have interest in who trained him.

Luke's not going around the galaxy with his own Jaskier in tow. That's a reference from the Witcher where the hero as a travelling bard named Jaskier who writes songs of the hero's deeds.

Wow this escalated 😂

In Episode IV no one believes in the Force anymore.  It is seen as a hokey religion, Han Solo had been all over the galaxy and seen nothing to do with the force and thought it was mumbo jumbo.  That was only 30 years after the purge of the Jedi.

Palpatine and Vader didn't know for sure if Yoda was alive.  I dare say they looked to eradicate all knowledge of his existence as it could give everyone hope that the Sith could be stopped.   As for question about who trained Luke, the story would have been Obi-Wan did.  He lived on Tattooine with Luke for his whole life.  What more story would be needed?  Luke blew up the first Death Star with training from him.   Add to that he was the son of the one of the most powerful Jedi's in Anakin Skywalker, it would be easy to build the legend of Luke Skywalker without even a mention of Yoda.

Edited by Loki

10 minutes ago, Loki said:

Wow this escalated 😂

In Episode IV no one believes in the Force anymore.  It is seen as a hokey religion, Han Solo had been all over the galaxy and seen nothing to do with the force and thought it was mumbo jumbo.  That was only 30 years after the purge of the Jedi.

Palpatine and Vader didn't know for sure if Yoda was alive.  I dare say they looked to eradicate all knowledge of his existence as it could give everyone hope that the Sith could be stopped.   As for question about who trained Luke, the story would have been Obi-Wan did.  He lived on Tattooine with Luke for his whole life.  What more story would be needed?  Luke blew up the first Death Star with training from him.   Add to that he was the son of the one of the most powerful Jedi's in Anakin Skywalker, it would be easy to build the legend of Luke Skywalker without even a mention of Yoda.

Now that all makes sense.

The only thing I find strange about that, though, is why their isnt more attention on the Force after VI. Surely people would take an interest and go back to examine the history etc of the Force after the fall of the Empire?

Anyway, Lokis put me straight, lets move on :) 

Luke does try and do that with the training of the new Jedi and building of the temple.  Where that is in the time line of The Mandalorian, I don't know.  I thought it was five years after Return of the Jedi.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Luke does try and do that with the training of the new Jedi and building of the temple.  Where that is in the time line of The Mandalorian, I don't know.  I thought it was five years after Return of the Jedi.

Apparently he won't start training Ben/Kylo for another 5 years. Which is meant to coincide with him starting his school.

As for why the Force is largely forgotten or dismissed? Like you said Palpatine would of scrubbed every temple or record he was aware of. He wouldn't want any future rivals. Then order 66 killed off almost all the Jedi.

The clones that fought in the Clone Wars also aged quickly and didn't go back into society. So they wouldn't be passing on their war stories fighting alongside the Jedi either.

Then you've also got some alien species that have telepathy and superhuman type abilities naturally. So it won't necessarily make some Force powers seem as special.

Star Wars is set a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Maybe they hadn't figured out 24 hour news channels, or Twitter yet. Without which, news would not travelled fast.

#blownupthedeathstar #getitupthempire #montheforce #wearealljedi

29 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Star Wars is set a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Maybe they hadn't figured out 24 hour news channels, or Twitter yet. Without which, news would not travelled fast.

#blownupthedeathstar #getitupthempire #montheforce #wearealljedi

You're right, I imagine people didnt hear about WW2 until at least the 1960s

At least in a galaxy far, far away there are no hash tags :rolleyes:

The Mandalorians not knowing is definitely something which can't really be accepted, so I'll be steering away from that for now because I don't think there's much of a logical argument against that. They should know, and so should he.

How much of Luke's exploits is known to the rest isn't ever known. The Cara Dune thing is a fair point. Let's say that the force is dismissed as religious mumbo jumbo by some ( which is where I've always landed on it ), even the concept of it's existence should be known to her. I could understand a surprised reaction, as in "shit, it's real?" but not a totally baffled one like "the f**k is this?"

The last bit, it was the thing with the armorer that REALLY bugged me on this. She should really have known. This is information that she'd need and I really doubt that it hadn't been passed down through the years.

I don't doubt that there are people who, realistically, should know. And I don't buy that it'd make sense depending on when he was born for him not to know. I'd say this is pertinent information for anyone who does what he does. And the information not being passed down directly affects that.

However, I still maintain that the majority of people in the galaxy have no reason to know.

The old canon pre disney had palps destroying eveything to do with the jedi, the force, everything, there may have been the odd holocron lying about but all the records, the archives, the temples, everything gone

All you had was word of mouth, and that would likely start to die off as no one would believe there was a power that allowed you to move shit with a wave of the hand etc

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

The old canon pre disney had palps destroying eveything to do with the jedi, the force, everything, there may have been the odd holocron lying about but all the records, the archives, the temples, everything gone

All you had was word of mouth, and that would likely start to die off as no one would believe there was a power that allowed you to move shit with a wave of the hand 

I'm not sure how much I'm really caring about pre-Disney canon tbh. 

And even at that, there's still those who should know who we've come across. Whether they BELIEVE in it or not is another matter, but they shouldn't be completely oblivious. 

I'd agree that the vast majority of folk wouldn't know about it, and those within the rebellion might not necessarily believe in it though.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Wells said:

I'm not sure how much I'm really caring about pre-Disney canon tbh. 

And even at that, there's still those who should know who we've come across. Whether they BELIEVE in it or not is another matter, but they shouldn't be completely oblivious. 

I'd agree that the vast majority of folk wouldn't know about it, and those within the rebellion might not necessarily believe in it though.

Im guessing given that disney kept palps alive till RoS then we can still take from it that between RotS and ANH the emperor and vader destroyed all knowledge of the force other than the books we seen yoda burn, 

To me it's highly plausible that no one knew of the force or perhaps they were too scared to admit that they were due to the wrath of the empire, hence it died down