World War Three Watch

Ralstonite

13 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I'm not sure who I support in this war. On the one hand I despise US interference in the Middle East, on the other hand I hate the wicked Iranian regime. 

Surely you'll back whatever outcome makes you more money Mr Monopoly man? 

I genuinely feel nervous. I never usually get taken by these things but and I am not saying it will be WWIII but for f**k's sake, Trump is unstable and has every weapon up to the nukes available to him, while Iran is a much more significant military force than probably he realises, with the two most powerful militaries after the USA as its allies.

Just now, Margaret Thatcher said:

I genuinely feel nervous. I never usually get taken by these things but and I am not saying it will be WWIII but for f**k's sake, Trump is unstable and has every weapon up to the nukes available to him, while Iran is a much more significant military force than probably he realises, with the two most powerful militaries after the USA as its allies.

Me too. This is probably the closest we've been to WWIII since the end of WWII, at least on a par with the Cuban Missile Crisis now.  WWIII could genuinely kick off tomorrow if things are handled badly, and it requires reasoned, wise, statesmanlike and bold decisions to be taken exercising the most enlightened diplomacy and exuding a conciliatory and restrained tone to get us out of this. 

Fortunately the person taking those decisions is Donald Trump, so I'm sure we'll be fine.

In all seriousness I have a really bad feeling about this, and am genuinely feeling a little sick in my stomach right now. 

That is how a world war starts, if they draw Israel is to open conflict we're virtually there.  Reports just now of approx 20 dead on the US bases hit, and US warplanes have taken off from Turkey and UAE, whilst Iranian air force have taken to the skies too.  This couldn't really be any worse, WWIII might even be starting right now.  If it does there will be no winners.

5 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Wonder how many will die in this stupid dick-measuring contest now? And why hasn't Trump succumbed to a fucking heart attack or stroke or something yet?

He probably has, numerous times. He just buys himself a new heart each time it happens.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Commercial airlines aren't taking any notice, loads of them flying over Iraq at the moment.

image.thumb.png.1de0cb5a4913691fe279361bda0ebcff.png

Turn left: Syria. Turn right: Iran.

edit: nice insight though, wouldn't have thought to look at that

Edited by Margaret Thatcher
keep forgetting what i was going to say

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Commercial airlines aren't taking any notice, loads of them flying over Iraq at the moment.

image.thumb.png.1de0cb5a4913691fe279361bda0ebcff.png

Assume unless they're taking off or landing they'd be too high up to be affected.

And US has apparently now told airlines not to fly over there.

From Press TV:

“We warn US allies providing bases for the [American] terrorist army… that any country serving as the origin of bellicose and aggressive attacks in any form against the Islamic Republic of Iran will be targeted,” read the IRGC statement.

That's quite fair, IMHO.

A couple of good Twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/NewsBreaking

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews