Arbroath v Falkirk

bairn88

Falkirk signed Arbroath legend Jimmy Jack back in the 70s. By his own account he was a disappointment because it was too late in his career to go full time. He’s exactly what we need now - we’ll a young version.

My memory of Jimmy Jack is his rather odd hairstyle.

20 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Arbroath must be the team we have played least in Scottish football (not including newer entrants to the leagues and the new rangers) this is our first Scottish cup tie against them, on our last visit to the lower levels of Scottish football 40 odd years ago saw arbroath making a rare visit to the higher levels, same as this year. This should be a cracking game, hopefully we can edge it.

Arbroath effectively relegated Falkirk with a 3-1 win at Brockville in 2001-02. Hardly 40 years ago.

My main memory of the game is saying after 5 minutes "There's no way this will finish11 v 11"

Falkirk took the lead, we equalised practically immediately, both sides had a man sent off then we scored twice within a minute near the end.

Falkirk only avoided relegation because original Airdrionians went bust, so the most recent league meetings were during the following season (2002/03)

Hard to see us getting through here. Will take the sort of performance that we’ve yet to see and probably aren’t capable of.

Arbroath seem to be a decent enough outfit and, being honest about where we are right now, that should be more than enough.

Not exactly sure why, but I think we will win this one.

Arbroath are a decent side and deserve all the respect for what they’ve achieved. However I think we’re on the start of a decent run under the new management team.

21/10 looks decent odds to me.

Interesting that the bookies think we’re more likely to win this game than draw it.

2-1 Bairns.

Whatever, this has the makings of a tasty tie for a change this season...

4 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Arbroath effectively relegated Falkirk with a 3-1 win at Brockville in 2001-02. Hardly 40 years ago.

My main memory of the game is saying after 5 minutes "There's no way this will finish11 v 11"

Falkirk took the lead, we equalised practically immediately, both sides had a man sent off then we scored twice within a minute near the end.

Falkirk only avoided relegation because original Airdrionians went bust, so the most recent league meetings were during the following season (2002/03)

Last time we were outside the top 2 leagues was 40 years ago, I didn't say we hadn't played since just we regularly avoid arbroath when we do go down, for two teams that have been in the leagues as long we have rarely played each other.

The vast majority of Arbroath games look to have been close and we aren't exactly blowing teams away. Arbroath are a step up from anything we've faced in recent weeks though and Durnan and Buchanan have managed to look dodgy against non entities in League One.

I would play Tidser off McManus but doubt that will happen. If it's going to be a 4-4-2 get Miller and Gomis in the middle.

Looking forward to a few pilsners baby.

The vast majority of Arbroath games look to have been close and we aren't exactly blowing teams away. Arbroath are a step up from anything we've faced in recent weeks though and Durnan and Buchanan have managed to look dodgy against non entities in League One.
I would play Tidser off McManus but doubt that will happen. If it's going to be a 4-4-2 get Miller and Gomis in the middle.
Fancy this one to be close even a replay week on Saturday

Just now, weetoonlad said:
3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Fancy this one to be close even a replay week on Saturday

If it's a replay it's going to be Tuesday 28th Jan

Enjoy your day

Hopefully we turn up today, our last performance against Morton at Gayfield was absolutely awful

Looking forward to the trip to Arbroath today, and playing a club we haven’t faced in 16 years, so that’s a change if nothing else. Always found Arbroath to be a bit of a bogey team to Falkirk from the late 60’s into the 70’s, used to even be a bit of battling up there, but Arbroath had a decent side then, an ex keeper of theirs Alan Campbell still works for us, and regular mentions a 2-2 draw with Celtic, and his heroics that day, wish he was in goal for Arbroath today 🐳   Can see it being a draw. COYB ! 

I too am heading up to this today, just my second game of the season and really hope we get any kind of positive result as last game was the away defeat to Clyde under McKinnon in front of a large travelling support. we were terrible that day and hopefully better to watch today.

have a soft spot for Arbroath, visited gayfield a few times when I was younger with my brother who was a season ticket holder (until he saw the light and started supporting his local club).

here's to a good game in decent weather!

23 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Would be a good chance to see Hay , De Vita and Todd today. Whilst a good cup run would be nice it would be better to see how our new recruits fit in. It's all about the league this season sadly

Nah. It's 3 rounds and we would be in the semi final. The schedule will hardly floor a depleted squad. Win this and we can pile up some cash. Even aside from the money, it's the Scottish Cup fs. I would happily spend the next 20 years in League One if we could win the Scottish Cup once.