Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

1. Ideally, yeah. People should only be going out when absolutely necessary.

2. Jogging is more dangerous. The droplets go further and since people tend to jog in the same places around cities, you can easily spread it that way.

3. I think the point with this is that as long as people keep being told that it's ok to exercise outside, we're going to see a lot of people going to parks and congregating together. We see it every weekend. Give people an inch of rope and they hang themselves.

People aren’t congregating in parks though. I walked through Kelvingrove Park yesterday (gorgeous sunny day) and it was completely dead. Nobody sat on the grass and the few people in the park were keeping well clear of one another. 

And if folk are congregating elsewhere then that isn’t the fault of folk going long, quiet solo runs along empty streets. 

You absolute Tory. 

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Really?  I thought you’d maybe respond to the point we were discussing.  I obviously overestimated you.

Quite relavent though, parties put promises out there to get a vote, then once they're in they back track out of it.  Cameron you'd say started the starvation on the NHS after Uncle Tony, called Brexit, disappeared off, May went from one clusterfuck to another, but Corbyn was so bad he couldn't even oust her so we'll never know how much money a Labour government would have ploughed into the NHS and here we are with Boris.  No point in speculating the what ifs, we are where we are, we just have to deal with it the best we can.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Exercise is essential for physical and mental wellbeing.  Your inability to acknowledge that negates any further views you have imo.

Wow, maybe stay at home do a lot of reading n put words in the rite order without adding words that's not there, exercising at home is fine and  beneficial for mind and body, not essential, but yeah helpful, exercise at home jog on the spot, do burbees star jumps whatever, but goin outside for a jog in my opinion is detrimental! 

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

No. Shopping for food is essential. Going for a jog is not.

Also, how do you know 'most' people are doing this? A huge proportion of the UK population is urban. They can't all be going running and not seeing another soul.

We see every weekend that people going out to exercise causes big groups of people to congregate together. It's absolutely bonkers. Also, we've seen that jogging near other people is a comparatively risky thing to do.

But, but, but, but, but, but I'M DIFFERENT!

Hardly anyone is going jogging. My house overlooks a big park and I've seen precisely zero large groups congregate. But, but, but the Daily Mail and The Guardian  have photos!

I realise, of course, that people need food, and I'm not suggesting for a moment we should stop people food shopping, but if we were genuinely thinking we're not doing enough to reduce risk, which you seem to think is the case but I don't, then surely we should be reducing risk in supermarkets too. There's no 'need' to have a choice of 20,000+ products and have people facing Pozbaird-style mid-aisle dilemmas over which cake to buy, but we have quite sensibly decided that this heightened risk is acceptable, if not desirable.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Nicola Sturgeon on the TV at present.  Miles ahead in competence of the other roasters we are forced to endure during this crisis.

What’s she been saying or deciding that makes her and her Govt escape any criticism along with the rest? Be very specific.

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Surely I'm not reading Granny Brexit talking about how folk should be following the instructions? You still taking your wife shopping?

Yeah and will do so until you point me to doing something in the guidelines that precludes it.

Oh and Granny Brexit?  Poor try Gaz Cuntface.

Guest JTS98

Instead of saying what I think people shouldn't do, how about offering an alternative?

Here goes.

Twice a day I do the following in my living room.

A minute or so of gentle jogging on the spot to loosen up followed by two minutes of star-jumps. I then do a minute of something called knee cross crunches, followed by a minute of light jogging on the spot, then another minute of the knee cross crunches.

After that I do about ten minutes of interval running on the sport. Twenty seconds light jogging followed by forty seconds sprinting as hard as I can on the spot.

Then I do twenty press-ups, plank for a minute, ten press-ups, plank for another minute. A couple of back stretches I have to do every day anyway, then jog off the legs to finish up.

Usually just over twenty minutes altogether. Four weeks in I'm feeling pretty good.

Missing the running, but needs must. Think I'll come out of this in decent shape.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Yeah and will do so until you point me to doing something in the guidelines that precludes it.

I didn't vote for Cuntface.

10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I should probably point out that I'm a four-times-a-week jogger. I do about twenty miles a week in normal life.

I was a 5 times a week gym goer n twice a week pub visitor, tuff shit there closed, this life ain't normal at the moment, i prefer to train in a gym, maybe i could break in n if decide its essential for me to exercise in a gym 🤔

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Instead of saying what I think people shouldn't do, how about offering an alternative?

Here goes.

A minute or so of gentle jogging on the spot to loosen up followed by two minutes of star-jumps. I then do a minute of something called knee cross crunches, followed by a minute of light jogging on the spot, then another minute of the knee cross crunches.

After that I do about ten minutes of interval running on the sport. Twenty seconds light jogging followed by forty seconds sprinting as hard as I can on the spot.

Then I do twenty press-ups, plank for a minute, ten press-ups, plank for another minute. A couple of back stretches I have to do every day anyway, then jog off the legs to finish up.

Usually just over twenty minutes altogether. Four weeks in I'm feeling pretty good.

Missing the running, but needs must. Think I'll come out of this in decent shape.

Ur over training ha ha 

One of the best things I ever did was get a rack at home. It's been a lifesaver. I've also got a treadmill but it's a pretty crappy one and doesn't go above 12km/h.

I've been shopping 3 times in the last week and all 3 stores are insisting on only 1 person per household in the shop. Tesco were enforcing it to the letter on Saturday and making people wait outside or in their car while their partner did the shopping.

7 hours ago, Adders said:

How is it a lifeline??  It absolutely baffles me how people are struggling with this!!  I was a regular at the gym, which i is obviously indoors, that's where i exercised, now they're all closed so for the time being, until this potentially fatal virus is under control I will exercise at home, what's the problem?? Do people really lack that much self discipline? Exercise at home to a high level and you'll release the same amount of endorphins as any other form! So all we dealing with then is the matter of fresh air, open all your windows ffs.  It's a few months, hopefully, get a grip. If we were to break our leg or suffer any other debilitating injury we'd have no choice, are we all gonna go insane, no we'd deal with it cos that's life. It happens to professionals all the time! If we seriously can't make that sacrifice then what a weak bunch we are, n if by chance we were unfortunate to contract this virus while out on our Essential hourly exercise, which resulted in being on a ventilator clinging to life, wonder how many would want to turn back the clock! 

Personally for me it’s  a struggle to stay indoors and look at four walls. I had a bereavement in Feb and not being able to go out of town to get things or just for a change of scenery gets me down. Getting out for the one allowed exercise a day keeps me sane and helps to clear my head a little (I have depression). There’s no comparison between exercising indoors and getting out in the fresh air and seeing nature

I've been shopping 3 times in the last week and all 3 stores are insisting on only 1 person per household in the shop. Tesco were enforcing it to the letter on Saturday and making people wait outside or in their car while their partner did the shopping.

Every shop is doing this now, my wife did the shopping on Saturday and the guys there had a clicker counting the number of people. The previous week I was in Sainsbury’s and they had a counter on an iPad displayed and refused entry to more than one adult together.

15 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Here goes.

Your man here is bang on. It's not a hardship to stay in the house for a few weeks and the exceptionalism on show is incredibly selfish. Fair few Blighty knows best brexiteer tory types outing themselves here. 

I'm in an apartment in central Madrid. The government were too slow in implementing lockdown. When they did, it has been effective. To think it couldn't be enforced in the UK is nonsense. 

Like JTS, I'm a regular runner and was mid half marathon training. I miss it, but I dont want to play any part, no matter how small is possibly spreading this. It isn't difficult to keep fit in the house and even if it was, I'd still stay in.

Both our local ASDA and Tesco are still allowing couples in. It's also astonishing how many grown adults cannot follow a massive arrow on a floor and have no concept of how far 2 metres is.

The Tories want us to arguing amongst ourselves to take the heat off them. 

Bogged down in the minutae of, is this right or wrong. MSM and social media encourage it.

I've no doubt , there are halfwits and selfish uncaring folks, whom I would say are in the minority, most folks are trying to do the best they can in very difficult circumstances.

What we don't have to doubt is:

The systematic stripping and devaluing of the NHS by the Tories over the last ten years.

The fact medical professionals are afraid to speak out, due to threats by the government.

The fact that UK government has supposed to have had plans in place for such a pandemic, and are clearly lacking.

MSM being nothing short of a Tory mouthpiece, rather than holding them to account.