Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's going to hard to change that view if you have to keep publishing daily stats, which nobody sees for anything else.

I understand that. But if figures get down to around 10-15 per day in Scotland consistently, and around 150-200 in the UK as a whole I think it's also important to introduce context.

I know it was the weekend so the figure will likely be lower, but headlines along the lines of "no plans to ease restrictions in Scotland as another 10 die" are no help to anyone.

Sporting events will be the last thing to go back on, not because they are hugely more dangerous than pubs, clubs, schools etc but because people see a number in the tens of thousands and assume it must be orders of magnitude more dangerous. 

If 1000+ students/teachers are sharing a room/corridor in schools come August, there is absolutely no reason 500 people can't attend Stenhousemuir v Brechin City.

They are stupid.  Relying on the fundamentals of a document written almost 250 years ago to inform how you should organise your society without taking account of the changes that have happened since then is the definition of stupidity.

As the comedian Jim Jeffries points out, "the right to bear arms" was added at a time when people were still using muskets, not assault rifles and automatic weapons.

I don't think the media help with this. There are people out there who will have no idea how many people die each day normally in the UK, and when they hear "x amount of deaths due to covid-19" are outraged as they have nothing to balance it with.
The time will come when the government and media will need to show covid-19 deaths relative to total deaths, and total deaths relative to average deaths. It's going to be normal for some time for people to die from Covid-19. Like deaths from other causes, we will have to accept this and take steps ourselves to lower the risk of this, in the same way that we lower the risk to ourselves from other causes of death.
At this particular moment the numbers for Covid-19 are too high, hence why lockdown has been extemded
Well NHS England do provide weekly mortality stats, just to give an idea.
Screenshot_20200421-130925_Drive.jpeg

Also the daily death stats from England do still show a peak a couple of weeks ago, but it'll need to go down a lot more before the lockdown is relaxed.
Screenshot_20200421-130048_Sheets.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mastermind said:

Another day, another rage from Meltdown Mullarkey. Is there anyone more perma-raging?

Have you ever made a post containing even a minuscule amount of worthwhile content? Or is there just nothing there?

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
They are stupid.  Relying on the fundamentals of a document written almost 250 years ago to inform how you should organise your society without taking account of the changes that have happened since then is the definition of stupidity.

As the comedian Jim Jeffries points out, "the right to bear arms" was added at a time when people were still using muskets, not assault rifles and automatic weapons.

I don't know much but I read some books about the Vietnam war and how the US government treated their own citizens/soldiers and I can understand why they don't trust their own government now.  

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I actually went to make a recommendation for you*, before realising you'd pulled an actual funny out of nowhere. 😀

This lockdown malarkey is changing us all, right enough.

Oh, BTW, I got those clippers and am back to suede-head tidiness. One worry was that, as each swathe of hair hit the deck, the dog scoffed it. That is one weird beast.

*Probably unconscious connection  as I'm trying to source a replacement B&D Scorpion saw, as my neighbour has borked mine.

Update on the hound's latest snacking preference - took him for a walk at lunchtime and had to lift a massive hairy shite off the path. I was tempted to leave it as, in the right light, it could have resembled a particularly malodorous ferret.

8 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Well NHS England do provide weekly mortality stats, just to give an idea.
Screenshot_20200421-130925_Drive.jpeg

Also the daily death stats from England do still show a peak a couple of weeks ago, but it'll need to go down a lot more before the lockdown is relaxed.
Screenshot_20200421-130048_Sheets.jpeg

I know they do, and I am aware of how current figures compare to normal levels.

But the vast majority are not going to go digging for these themselves and just watch the news.

Coronavirus: Number dying hits 20-year high

Deaths in England and Wales have nearly doubled above what would be expected, hitting a 20-year high.

The Office for National Statistics said there were 18,500 deaths in the week up to 10 April - about 8,000 more than is normal at this time of year.

More than 6,200 were linked to coronavirus, a sixth of which were outside of hospital.

But deaths from other causes also increased, suggesting the lockdown may be having an indirect impact on health.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If playing the post and not the poster was a hard and fast rule the site wouldnt work.

You know as well as I do your post was ridiculous but for me you arent a poster who deserves further hounding following an apology, you are more honest than most about a lot of things and that has in the past included admissions that you posted stuff here that you know wasnt right. A few folk at least knew that and said as much at the time.

Anyway, despite you being a #torycunt, youl hear no more about said post from me.

^^^exonerationardo.

I don't know much but I read some books about the Vietnam war and how the US government treated their own citizens/soldiers and I can understand why they don't trust their own government now.  

I’ve read genuinely thoughtful arguments in favour of gun ownership particularly among the African American community but these people in the news aren’t a persecuted group. They’re fat petit-bourgeois small business owners.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Scotland's deaths are 167 per 1m 

Aye, I've noticed that we're doing slightly better. Not sure why. possibly geography - more sparsely populated, possibly we're behaving ourselves and not going round hospitals shaking hands with everyone.

Good to hear though.

44 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I always like when they get mental about how you can't change the Second Amendment. Not sure what they think an amendment is.

Pathetic question from James Mathews, (Sky News) on today's briefing by NS. :

Given the number of deaths in taking place in care homes, and given that these could have been foreseen, how would you rate your government's performance in dealing with this?

Presumably Mathews reckons Boris's gov/t is  dealing with the whole coronavirus situation much more effectively than is the case in Scotland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/all-eyes-on-sweden-s-liberal-gamble-with-coronavirus-1.4233658

Another Sweden article -while they haven’t imposed a lockdown they seem to have a de facto one.

Interesting point made by the Irish ex pat they quote, the pubs are all open there but no-one is going. What would happen here if they tried that? Would people flood back or would numbers be close to zero?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/all-eyes-on-sweden-s-liberal-gamble-with-coronavirus-1.4233658

Another Sweden article -while they haven’t imposed a lockdown they seem to have a de facto one.

Interesting point made by the Irish ex pat they quote, the pubs are all open there but no-one is going. What would happen here if they tried that? Would people flood back or would numbers be close to zero?
People would flood back IMO.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The first day the pubs open here will be like Hogmanay x10