Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I tend not to bother about grammar or spelling, it's mostly used as a divertionary tactic on here for those with a weak position. 

You should.  If handled with care, it can enhance what you're saying.

This isn't just to do with the petty prejudices of people like me. 

You're right when you say that you can get well written drivel.  Similarly, you can sometimes see genuine insight which is poorly expressed.

Generally though, there is a correlation.  Poverty of thought is usually (but not always) allied to poverty of expression.  Taking trouble with how you organise writing is courteous to the reader, as I said earlier.  It also aids thought and the communication of it.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Apologies for deleting the rest of your post, but I really want take issue with this point.  It’s one that crops up in the politics threads quite frequently.

It is a precis of an argument that “the Boomers are depriving young people of a future”.  It’s a nonsense and a divisive Tory argument, the object of which is to ensure young people blame older people rather than blaming the austerity policies of the government.

The fact is the State Pension in the U.K. is one of the poorest in Europe.  In France there is massive resistance to pension changes; changes, that if they were to take place, would still leave French pensioners far better off than their British counterparts in terms of when they can retire and the amount they can retire on.  Protection of a decent state pension is something we should be doing for EVERY generation to come.

We can easily meet the economic needs of the old AND the young.  Abandon austerity for a start, this virus has shown that it’s a dogma driven policy rather than an economic imperative.  Scrap Trident, make multi-nationals pay their fair share of taxes, stop running public services for private profit.  Let’s face it when it all goes tits up it’s the public purse that bails out private enterprise anyway.

I mentioned young people having high rents or other housing costs to worry about that may necessitate them getting back to work. Taking any emotional arguments out of it, it is just a fact that the selling and non-replenishment of social housing and the popularity of stuff like buy-to-let mortgages has pulled the rug from under the next generation's feet. 

Overall though, as I said, I completely agree that people my age and under should vote more. I also agree that things could change for the better. 

Once the old and the young realise their interest are aligned rather than buying the lie that it’s us against them maybe the politicians won’t find manipulation quite so easy.

Every one of these age arguments I've seen on here has been instigated by old people moaning about millennials. Posting the following and then and then insisting on a kumbaya, all in it together response. Classic boomer move.

Aye the same folk who realise the importance of going out to vote seem to have thought this through whereas the generation who think reality TV is more important than elections haven’t.

What a surprise.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

You've just taken a snapshot of raw data as opposed to actually investigating  any of it further.

Is a 46 year old healthy male at more risk than a 44 year old male with a history of obesity ?

is a 47 year old female at more risk than a 43 year old male ?

Do smokers fare better or worse in the stats ?

Are there certain industries which would prove riskier than others for specific age groups ?

Would certain companies be able to survive if removing all their workers aged 45 or over ?

Would a blanket ban on working based on age be either workable, legal or possible ?? (of course it wouldn't).

Who would run Governments ?

Who would run the Civil Service ?

Who would run the Judiciary and Courts ?

No, I'm afraid that one's a non starter and that's even before we start discussing the issues of the spreading of the virus to those in the enforced lockdown.

The current NHS occupational health guidance for Covid-19 identifies staff with a 40+ BMI as at high-risk, which changes how they can work during this.

It's possible to put different measures in place for different parts of the population and attach all kinds of caveats and exceptions to it. 

4 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I mentioned young people having high rents or other housing costs to worry about that may necessitate them getting back to work. Taking any emotional arguments out of it, it is just a fact that the selling and non-replenishment of social housing and the popularity of stuff like buy-to-let mortgages has pulled the rug from under the next generation's feet. 

Overall though, as I said, I completely agree that people my age and under should vote more. I also agree that things could change for the better. 

Every one of these age arguments I've seen on here has been instigated by old people moaning about millennials. Posting the following and then and then insisting on a kumbaya, all in it together response. Classic boomer move.

Disappointing response.  The last line puts you on a par with posters on here who you do not deserve to be associated with.

But hey ho.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Disappointing response.  The last line puts you on a par with posters on here who you do not deserve to be associated with.

But hey ho.

Thanks, I guess.

Do you think characterising young people by their apparent interest in reality TV is a good basis for a stimulating debate about different generations' needs during a public health crisis? I'm sorry but this is the classic ark of how these types of discussion go. Starts off with some accusation of young people being stupid or irresponsible, usually always with an insulting reference to low-brow culture (Strongbow Dark Fruits yesterday, reality TV today) and then whenever relevant events from recent history are brought up, it's stop the name calling, we're all in this together.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It would be less than it is currently. Do you think "fairness" should come into it if theres scientific backing to allow age based loosening? 

The 'appliance of science' *  has been rather compromised by political considerations.

I'm not keen on the application of some kind of age based apartheid  when the underlying problem is a lack of competence in addressing Covid-19,

testing, and contact tracing.  Young and old are equivalent spreaders of the thing.

*  Didn't that used to be an ad for a fridge, or something ?

40 minutes ago, bennett said:

That'll be him sacked then.

I was thinking the same.

It's great to watch, but I've only ever been in one proper fight in my adult life and got my collar felt from the one-time because I hit first.

You never hit first.

The boomer generation was given far more opportunities than the following generations. The majority are also selfish arseholes who voted No in ScotRef and for Brexit purely for self interests. They deserve ridicule.

Millennials are whinging arseholes who want to blame everyone else cause their art history degree is useless and they still live with their parents in their 30s. They also deserve ridicule.

15 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Thanks, I guess.

Do you think characterising young people by their apparent interest in reality TV is a good basis for a stimulating debate about different generations' needs during a public health crisis? I'm sorry but this is the classic ark of how these types of discussion go. Starts off with some accusation of young people being stupid or irresponsible, usually always with an insulting reference to low-brow culture (Strongbow Dark Fruits yesterday, reality TV today) and then whenever relevant events from recent history are brought up, it's stop the name calling, we're all in this together.

Yes it’s a characterisation, maybe an unfair one but no less accurate than that used against ‘boomers’.

My point about young people not voting in the same proportion as older people stands.  Sadly they are the people with most to lose, who will have to deal with this shit longest and who, if they were prepared to become politically engaged, would be willing to be more radical than most.

19 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The 'appliance of science' *  has been rather compromised by political considerations.

I'm not keen on the application of some kind of age based apartheid  when the underlying problem is a lack of competence in addressing Covid-19,

testing, and contact tracing.  Young and old are equivalent spreaders of the thing.

*  Didn't that used to be an ad for a fridge, or something ?

It was for Zanussi, hth.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No I shouldn't.

That's bollocks.

Last free lesson, next one you pay for.

For example, Dickens buried the however in this sentence from Nicholas Nickleby: “Love, however, is very materially assisted by a warm and active imagination.” When you put however in the middle of a sentence like this, it should be surrounded by commas. Here's another example: in Breakfast of Champions, Kurt Vonnegut wrote, “The chief weapon of sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was too late, how heartless and greedy they were.” Again, put a comma before and after however when you use it in the middle of a sentence this way. 

5 minutes ago, steve55 said:

This Doctor says the virus aint that bad and we are being lied too:

Rashid Buttar is an American osteopathic physician and conspiracy theorist from Charlotte, North Carolina. He is known for his controversial use of chelation therapy for numerous conditions, including autism and cancer.[1] He has been reprimanded by the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners for unethical treatment of patients.[2]

Buttar was born in London in 1966 and immigrated with his parents to the U.S. at the age of 9. He attended Washington University, graduating with a degree in biology and theology, and then earned his degree in osteopathy at Des Moines University. According to his website, he worked as a surgeon with the U.S. Army for several years but did not achieve any medical qualification.[3]

He came to public attention in 2009 when he used chelation therapy on a woman named Desiree Jennings, who claimed to have lost her ability to walk or talk normally after receiving a flu shot.[1][4] He has been criticized for his use of chelation,[1] and for his use of intravenous hydrogen peroxide to treat cancer.[5]

In 2007, Buttar was charged by the North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners with unethical treatment of four cancer patients.[6] The panel recommended that Buttar's "license be suspended indefinitely, but that the suspension be immediately stayed".[7] In 2010 the board, in response to this and other concerns, chose to formally reprimand Buttar but allowed him to continue to practice.[2][8]

In 2020, a video of Buttar claiming Dr. Anthony Fauci’s research helped create COVID-19 received millions of views on YouTube. [9]