Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Aye i get your point but if you force those viewpoints off the air like they didwith David Icke and co would that not just play right into their hands “ see the government is trying to shut us up so it must be true”

Aye i get your point but if you force those viewpoints off the air like they didwith David Icke and co would that not just play right into their hands “ see the government is trying to shut us up so it must be true”

I think that’s better than some 84 year old watching that on his telly and thinking “well, that may be true”. This isn’t a debate. These people are wrong and what they are doing is literally extending the lockdown. Ordinarily I’d agree with you, but in this case (and anti-vaccination) the danger is so severe, there’s more damage in letting this nonsense disseminate that them creating martyrs of themselves.

Whose in?

CF868E6C-2858-4087-836C-444523CE75F4.thumb.jpeg.7b0e936f1680aa4ccc3dfef8a6bbe0c5.jpeg

11am Turn on Pie and Bovril
3pm First beer of the day
4pm Last of any leftover Easter Egg
6pm Pointless or some other rubbish on the iPlayer
6.30pm Fourth beer of the day
9pm Some Danish murder drama or Michael Portillo telling us how fucked up the British empire was.

I win.

26 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It does. Absolutely it does. Don’t get me wrong. But they aren’t just going to do it for the sake of doing it - they could have kept pubs open if it was pure economic profiteering. There must be some medical evidence to suggest this was a manageable outcome.

As far as I can tell, airports are pretty much dead  - at OHare everything's closed bar the McDicks. Mate works for the British Consulate and had to go down to Miami a few weeks back to get folks off cruise ships and back to Blighty and she reckoned there was less than 10 people on the flight. 

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would probably be safer for the citizens of Inverness to have a planeload of Germans arriving than a train load of Cockneys or Weegies. Don't see why planes should be treated any different from other public transport when you have a global pandemic and the UK being in a worse state than most countries people would be flying from, and they'd be going straight into lockdown like the rest of us anyway. 

Safer for Invernessian's. 

I see what you mean but I think airports can be treated the same as other public transports when their gathering places are the same  (social distancing)

At the very beginning they should have been closed down. As soon as Italy got it bad.

I don’t know much about the new leader but every time I have seen him he is commending the Conservatives for their handling of the outbreak so far. He’s the leader of the fucking opposition and he’s not using the fact we will probably be the second worst hit country on earth due to his opponents negligence to try and make him and his party look like the better option to vote for! What is the point in him being there if he’s not putting the heat on the Conservatives handling of this outbreak? Do you think BoJo, Gove and JRM would be so lenient on an SNP/Labour coalition government if they were in charge and things were going this badly? Still, at least we have Piers Morgan holding the government to account. 
Ever heard of the expression "give them enough rope.."?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/22/raab-is-tried-and-found-wanting-by-a-masterful-starmer
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/29/starmer-kills-raab-with-kindness-in-pmqs

Yeah, The Guardian, but it came out better than any of the other papers in the "who do you trust" survey the other day.

6 hours ago, throbber said:

I don’t know much about the new leader but every time I have seen him he is commending the Conservatives for their handling of the outbreak so far. He’s the leader of the fucking opposition and he’s not using the fact we will probably be the second worst hit country on earth due to his opponents negligence to try and make him and his party look like the better option to vote for! What is the point in him being there if he’s not putting the heat on the Conservatives handling of this outbreak? Do you think BoJo, Gove and JRM would be so lenient on an SNP/Labour coalition government if they were in charge and things were going this badly? Still, at least we have Piers Morgan holding the government to account. 

In this time of national crisis it would not be popular for any opposition to openly criticise a government trying to deal with it.

A better solution is to appear supportive but then point out deficiencies - again appearing to be supportive but actually not.

I suspect a Tory opposition would be supportive of a Labour/SNP government in this scenario but they would also be pointing out how they would have handled it better.

Edited by Fullerene

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whose in?

CF868E6C-2858-4087-836C-444523CE75F4.jpeg

Is this a Mintermind fantasy w**k bank entry or are they actually showing all this shit on the telly? What if you live in a flat, do you throw the picnic blanket down in the lavy because the pot pourri smells like the great outdoors?

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

In what way was Corbyn “extreme”?  Maybe @Bob Mahelp can give you a hand here.

I don't think Corbyn was ever extreme.  He was just useless.

I can understand the appeal of Corbyn.  I suspect I would agree with him on a lot of things.  However he was a polarising figure.  For every Corbyn supporter there was someone else who was totally against him.  Not just neutral - totally against.

I imagine these people would support many of his policies but not from him.  He had a tainted past.  A lot of it unfair but some of it not.

Also he was very ineffective.

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

11am Turn on Pie and Bovril
3pm First beer of the day
4pm Last of any leftover Easter Egg
6pm Pointless or some other rubbish on the iPlayer
6.30pm Fourth beer of the day
9pm Some Danish murder drama or Michael Portillo telling us how fucked up the British empire was.

I win.

3pm, aye right.