Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I was on a Zoom call with 30 people who all disappeared to go and clap. I had to turn my video off so I could keep playing the Xbox without getting cancelled.

That must have been the worst game of celebrity squares ever. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Your memory is playing tricks. 

The BBC started their coverage after the early airing of Neighbours finished. I was a layabout teenager and used to aim to get up for half 1 to see what was going on in Ramsay St.

The second plane hitting live is the greatest TV moment of my lifetime. The only thing that probably beats it is Ruby killing Oswald. 

Surely the killing of Charlie Windsors first wife is up there as well.

Family across the road who I've spoke about before, the street ringleaders for the Thursday clapping, had their fucking family turn up literally at 5 past 8 and they all traipsed into their house. Fucking zoomers. The number of cases in the Highlands is rising too. 

Advice needed - I'm on furlough at the moment (since 1st April) and the boss phoned me and asked about starting back on Monday and I agreed to it without thinking properly. Would I be wrong in saying that they are only relaxing the laws on building work in England and Wales?? And would I be doing wrong if I changed my mind?? 

Just now, philpy said:

Advice needed - I'm on furlough at the moment (since 1st April) and the boss phoned me and asked about starting back on Monday and I agreed to it without thinking properly. Would I be wrong in saying that they are only relaxing the laws on building work in England and Wales?? And would I be doing wrong if I changed my mind?? 

If i remember correctly you work in a store / warehouse which sells building materials?

If so there is nothing to say your employer must remain closed. Providing reasonable social distancing measures can be implemented and maintained then there is nothing stopping them opening.

If you live with or care for someone considered vulnerable you could make a case for remaining furloughed, but it would be at your employer's discretion whether or not they honour that.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If i remember correctly you work in a store / warehouse which sells building materials?

If so there is nothing to say your employer must remain closed. Providing reasonable social distancing measures can be implemented and maintained then there is nothing stopping them opening.

If you live with or care for someone considered vulnerable you could make a case for remaining furloughed, but it would be at your employer's discretion whether or not they honour that.

Ah right cheers 

11 minutes ago, philpy said:

As Todd said but FFS M9, I'd be delighted to be getting back into work. Jammy Bassa for even getting an invitation!

To further the poppy/armed forces day analogy you just know they're going to do clapping then too. Maybe not for Remembrance but surely clap are troops will become a thing
I'm pretty certain they wouldn't get anywhere near the support for that.

The nhs is an institution that touches on an awful lot of people's lives. The army simply doesn't have that kind of popularity.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It makes people feel a wee bit more connected to their street and neighbours.

The fireworks and shit is too far (i would ban them outright due to the harm done to pets) - but going out and showing a wee bit of solidarity is perfectly acceptable.

Folk are always going to take things too far, but this is all a bit harmless. Like i said, it's bringing folk together. That's the point.

All that applies equally to poppies.

Political objections notwithstanding, there’s nothing wrong with wearing a poppy. It too is something that should bring people together to reflect on what came before in order for us to have the lives we live today.  But a significant number of people and organisations always take it too far with “Poppy Day” a celebrations.

It’s the same with the clapping.  People standing at their front doors and simply clapping while remembering exactly why they’re doing it is something to bring people together; but this whole “festival” that now pops up at 8pm every Thursday is ridiculous. 

48 minutes ago, philpy said:

My company were looking to get us back on a phased restart from Monday 4th to stay in line with sites reopening down south and were told to GTF by Holyrood.  I think a further 2 weeks sounds about right before housebuilding starts up again and its going to be a slow progress with big changes to how the guys are working on site.

Whenever there was a solar eclipse the ancient Chinese would think a dragon was trying to swallow the sun and bang pots and gongs to frighten it away 

Isn't it heartening to know the virus will be frightened away by some fat munter banging a saucepan every Thursday?

When there was a shortage of ventilators Channel 4 missed a trick to do a Scrapheap Challenge special and get Dick Strawbridge to knock a couple up from old taxi parts.

Lisa Rogers is rather MILFY these days so that could have been a morale boost for the nation too.