Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That's kinda what I was getting at. What are the contributing factors? Climate, genetics, diet, social norms?

Every virus is different but hopefully there's enough to learn from this to help the next time we're faced with a similar situation.

Air quality is supposed to be a factor, if so it might partly explain why the death toll in Lombardy was so high.

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I take it we are all happy to sign up to a track and trace app on our phones in order to get the lockdown lifted?

I won’t be using it as -

A - I have no more storage space on my phone for another app

B - The people most at risk from the virus are the elderly, a large percentage of which don’t have mobile phones, which renders the whole thing a bit pointless imo 

27 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Fair do's but IF we were independent then ALL decisions about Scotland would be made here by whatever person was the First Minister.

They would be listening to advice from all sorts of people then they would act accordingly (for good or for ill).

Why do you disagree?

I don't disagree I just thought it was funny how this was phrased. Read it back.

That's kinda what I was getting at. What are the contributing factors? Climate, genetics, diet, social norms?

Every virus is different but hopefully there's enough to learn from this to help the next time we're faced with a similar situation.

It really is anyones guess at the moment and will be for a long time. Certainly harder to suggest anything more than a hunch due to a lot of these countries not having the ability to test and measure. However, if you look at the death rates and even allowing for a big percentage, there is a huge differential. I think if the countries reporting more than 4 digit deaths, only Brazil and Mexico would have a high temperature at that/this time of year.

Can’t be anything more than a hunch though.

There are absolutely too many factors to consider to compare countries and the reactions of people play a big part.

As for learning, that is also probably a factor, Asia has mostly handled this better having some experience before and adapting and reacting quickly with some measure of discipline and less panic. In europe it appears somewhat different to that.

41 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Jeez, I've read some of your comments elsewhere but you are missing my point.

Every decision regarding Scotland should be made in Scotland and no down in Westminster.

If the decision is ill then so be it. Of course that would only be found out in hindsight.

No government has the monopoly on good decisions.

There will be some bad decisions but such is life.

I'm not missing your point at all.

I'm merely recognising the essential chauvanism behind it.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Certainly not going to knock you for trying help your old man through this but if you’ve been advised to shield, the letter explicitly says you should stay at home. As long as you’re clear on that.

You’re ‘advised’ in the sense that you may not get a truncheon to the face if you disobey but going to the shops for food or a wander round the park are explicitly mentioned as inadvisable.

Yeah I appreciate that and it is a bit different for me, it was more addressing the idea that's starting to become more prevalent that we're being forced to stay inside, as if we're under some kind of military curfew, when in reality it's the lightest touch lock down that I can see of all the countries that have been told by their govt to lockdown, most businesses are functioning if not open, and you can pretty much go out as much as you'd like for as long as you'd like. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yes, but you have to be available to go back if required. I think there's a "reasonable notice" clause. 

How does it affect the payment or amount of furlough wage you’re getting, I feel you’re also getting a wage from elsewhere? 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How does it affect the payment or amount of furlough wage you’re getting, I feel you’re also getting a wage from elsewhere? 

Won't affect it but you'll get hammered for tax on the second job.

12 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Extremely likely Primary Schools will be first to reopen as the timetable for easing the restrictions are discussed this week. One paper has mentioned 1st June as the day where schools open to non essential staff.

Our council up here in the Highlands have told the Inverness Courier that garden waste will be picked up in June. Don't know if the recycling center is open again, seen photos of centers opening elsewhere.

That's down South. I can't see it happening up here. It is impossible to maintain Social Distancing in a school.

I don't think schools will be back until after the summer holidays.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Won't affect it but you'll get hammered for tax on the second job.

Actually it will affect it.

If you are earning a wage by working elsewhere, your current employer cannot make use of the job retention scheme. You would lose that income entirely.

If working elsewhere is going to bring in less money than your furlough wage, it is best not to work at all.

You are right about getting a BR tax code on the new job as well, just as you would in any second job.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you are earning a wage by working elsewhere, your employer cannot make use of the job retention scheme. You would lose that income entirely.

If working elsewhere is going to bring in less money than your furlough wage, it is best not to work at all.

You are right about getting a BR tax code on the new job as well, just as you would in any second job.

Maybe not relevant, but if you already have two distinct income sources you can be on furlough from one but still be working and getting paid from the other.

I assume you could then increase your hours/income from the second without it affecting your furloughed income from the first.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's down South. I can't see it happening up here. It is impossible to maintain Social Distancing in a school.

I don't think schools will be back until after the summer holidays.

I think you're right. The schools pack up for holiday late June up here so we'll probably just eek it out til they go back in August.

I personally think that if the primary schools are good to go back 1st June in England, then presumably it'd be equally 'safe' to do so up here. The kids are going to have to go back sometime, and a wee three week session prior to the holidays would be great for them. We'd also get the opportunity to see if their return leads to an upturn or not in infection rates while they're off.

But that's just my own opinion

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you are earning a wage by working elsewhere, your current employer cannot make use of the job retention scheme. You would lose that income entirely.

I don't think this is right. There's nothing to stop you taking a weekend bar job when you're working full time elsewhere, this is no different.

Actually it will affect it. If you are earning a wage by working elsewhere, your current employer cannot make use of the job retention scheme. You would lose that income entirely.

I suspect rules will be rewritten. I think for instance they will be keen to get furloughed workers picking fruit. As you are still on 80% elsewhere the tenner an hour picking berries will be excellent remuneration. It certainly will be a disgrace if food goes wasted with the amount of people currently not working.

If I was furloughed I would jump at the chance

I dont think that is true? If someone is furloughed then they could get a job in a supermarket for example and their main employer can still claim on the job retention scheme. Unless it has changed