Coronavirus (COVID-19)

34 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Tories can go f**k themselves if they think I'm downloading Cummings app.

Also, Tories can go f**k themselves in general.

Is the the app that was made by the recent Physics post doc?

Yeah, f**k that btw.

Far be it from me to propagate fake news but according to the Worldometer stats, UK's Covid-19 deaths make up just over 10% (TEN) of global Covid-19 deaths.
Fag packet maths puts UK, France, Spain, Italy and US making up around 70%.

Three years ago my Lassie acquired a wee Collie pup.

I, showing foresight, purchased a mask so that when I took him out for a walk I could pick up his mess and no be concerned with the smell.

Now he is all teeth and claws so I dinnae let him near me.

Would that face mask do me as a protection from Covid-19 if and when I venture out?

I could in theory kill two birds with one stone.

On my travels on my wee mobility scooter it could protect me from the virus and I could also pick up shite when I see it on the pavement.

I’m sure there’s a moral or parable there somewhere.

dogmask.jpg

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

What really needs to happen is the sample is tested and retested to be sure, contact tracing on the individual concerned needs to be carried out to see if the people he had close contact with have antibodies as they should, and globally a large project needs to take place to test samples from late 2019 to see if anybody else has them.

Tbf to the French guy he says he has tested it enough to be certain the virus is present. He isn't looking to make headlines here; he's asking for more samples to be tested to see if there are more instances.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Steven W said:

I think the fawning element is what I'm getting at. Just my opinion, but a bit of fawning from NS might not be a bad thing

Would you prefer that Nicola Sturgeon play the cheeky chappy, a la Boris Johnson, speak in 3 word soundbites, and offer us nothing but bland, meaningless 2nd world war analogies ?

Personally, I prefer Sturgeon's professional seriousness over Johnson's lying cuntery. But each to their own I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
37 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
Get yourself this, and save the subscription:
81SNyL2HS5L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.203d1afe13d68b2427862621888d7f9a.jpg

Would I need a crash helmet?

You'll need to check if the car's a tight fit first, you wouldn't want to be rattling around in it going round corners.

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Would you prefer that Nicola Sturgeon play the cheeky chappy, a la Boris Johnson, speak in 3 word soundbites, and offer us nothing but bland, meaningless 2nd world war analogies ?

Personally, I prefer Sturgeon's professional seriousness over Johnson's lying cuntery. But each to their own I suppose. 

Absolutely not! I share the same opinion on Johnson as you.

However there needs to be a briefing with a bit more positivty sometime, just to give us all a little hope. Knowing what she knew about the app I would have to thought yesterday may have been an opportunity.

Like I say, merely my opinion

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just think of us poor feckersdown here, who watch Sturgeon talking to her country like adults on a daily basis, knowing that we are entirely at the mercy of this bunch of shysters and their paymasters.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I saw some chat on here about private nurseries, just saw that there's a story on the BBC site about them.  We have our son (he's two) in a private nursery, they shut when the schools did and took our first months payment after the closure, on the proviso that we would then get the first month back free.  I'm pretty sure they've furloughed all their wokrers but they'll still have significant bills to pay.  They had initially said that they would stay open for essential workers but they ended up not doing that, mainly because, from what I understand, the numbers of essential workers using these services are very low.  I've not seen figures for Scotland but I saw somewhere that in England 20% of school kids are entitled to use schools due to their parents being essential but only 2% have done so.

There isn't really much we can do about it at the moment but nurseries and child minders going under would cause huge problems for a lot of people.  My son is also missing the staff and other children - it's good that he has both his parents at home and with him all day now but I think he's missing interaction with others and with kids.

Our 4 yo is still going to private nursery Wednesday to Friday. It’s a godsend.  

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Steven W said:

Absolutely not! I share the same opinion on Johnson as you.

However there needs to be a briefing with a bit more positivty sometime, just to give us all a little hope. Knowing what she knew about the app I would have to thought yesterday may have been an opportunity.

Like I say, merely my opinion

No worries mate, I wasn't having a dig at you. 

The thing about the App is that it's unproven. If Sturgeon jumps in like the UK government, professing this almost as a wonder cure, and it fails.....well, there would be justified criticism of the enthusiastic way she pushed this. 

I think she's doing the right thing. She hopes it's a success, but let's wait and see. 

2 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

Is this true?

naw.jpg

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Not completely, the app was designed by the University of Oxford’s Nuffield Department of Medicine along with US firm VMware. Cummings' mates are heavily involved in similar stuff though and likely have a finger in the pie.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/vote-leave-ai-firm-wins-seven-government-contracts-in-18-months

Well is this true then?

warner.jpg

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Verified by who? How much more verification does the positive test need?

Positive is positive, no different from a positive result from current everyday testing.

Given that it's quite important, I'd say more verification is definitely needed seeing as it's one single case. The fact he didn't do an antibody test on the guy's wife, instead just speculating that she may have had an asymptomatic infection,  already suggests it's a bit dodgy.

Edited by bendan

I too would like to hear some more upbeat messages (such as how we propose to start lifting the lockdown and how) but the UK govt approach has pissed me off so far. You can only deliver good news with a caveat at the minute, IMO. 

All fine being optimistic and trying to keep spirits up at a shit time, but that's not been backed up with substance. The antibody tests were a massive failure, for example - I support fully the decision to go with them, but don't just act like they will all be great - temper the message to set expectations accordingly. 

As I said yesterday, trust is key and the government is relying heavily on it so that people will comply with the restrictions; keep letting them down and they will stop listening, particularly with lockdown fatigue starting to show.  A sensible strategy for a phased reopening needs to be outlined, with dates included. I accept the lockdown won't end on Sunday, but please let us see the road map.