Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 05/05/2020 at 13:21, Salvo Montalbano said:

The headline may well say that the Bundesliga is coming back on May 15th but the league and the players haven't actually said that.  

I'd be amazed if there were games as early as May 15th...

another top post.

The Wire Reaction GIF

The Tories have a vested interest in ‘getting the economy back to normal’.  That is a given.

However it is very naive to claim it is only the Tories who are wanting this.

Guest bernardblack
Even Tennents now produces a better craft beer range than the original, failed hipster choice: just let that sink in.

You can’t say Brewdog is a failure?

Also Tennents is glorious

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

Private Eye did a takedown piece on their dodgy setup a few issues back. It doesn't publish it's content online for free but a quick Google provides a rough précis of it here:

https://kmflett.wordpress.com/2020/03/13/private-eyes-analysis-of-crafty-brewers-brewdog/

To me, Brewdog always looked like an outfit that appeared out of nowhere, with huge amounts of marketing puff.  In ordinary business terms , something seemed not quite right, without being interested enough to ask myself why. 

Edited by beefybake

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm not a multimillionaire so this statement, plainly, doesn't apply to normal people.

If you and me are struggling to pay bills because of this, that's a much more important issue than if Viscount Rothermere doesn't get as big a dividend.

The politics of envy.

Someone should do something,  Just not me.

9 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Surely there's no point lifting the restrictions until the test, trace, isolate programme is in place which, as far as I'm aware, it isn't

My thoughts, too.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The 17th is not as early as the 15th...

Wolfsburg are playing the day before.

They would have played on the 15th but had to wait a day so they were beyond the mid point of the month.

Let's not be pedantic. The point was he rubbished that the bundesliga would return that weekend.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm not a multimillionaire so this statement, plainly, doesn't apply to normal people.

If you and me are struggling to pay bills because of this, that's a much more important issue than if Viscount Rothermere doesn't get as big a dividend.

Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Let's not be pedantic.

This is P&B.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Wolfsburg are playing the day before.

Let's not be pedantic. The point was he rubbished that the bundesliga would return that weekend.

The day before the 17th is also not as early as the 15th. HTH

44 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
We can't have that kind of approach though because [mention=29985]Billy Jean King[/mention] lives with his son

Whit ???

You said any approach which allowed those under 45 to not be quarantined was impossible because your son lives with you and would need to go to work

Edited by Todd_is_God

15 minutes ago, bendan said:

I wonder what percentage of the population don't have a material interest in the economy getting back to normal?

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The Tories have a vested interest in ‘getting the economy back to normal’.  That is a given.

However it is very naive to claim it is only the Tories who are wanting this.

I think any sane person wants the economy back and thriving. Obviously not because we want big businesses to prosper and get richer, but for the sake of the normal working “man”. A failed economy resulting in job loses, resulting in mental health problems due to money worries, resulting in little to no dispensable income would be catastrophic for so many people

Just get ICU capacity up to a level that allows us to get this over in done after one complete easing of lockdown, those in vulnerable groups can without penalty carry on as is if they wish. 

I think any sane person wants the economy back and thriving. Obviously not because we want big businesses to prosper and get richer, but for the sake of the normal working “man”. A failed economy resulting in job loses, resulting in mental health problems due to money worries, resulting in little to no dispensable income would be catastrophic for so many people
Most folk are in debt as well with large mortgages etc. The government and previous (including labour) are to blame for that mess as well. House prices should never have been allowed to rise as much.

Englandshire is undoubtedly in a better place than us at the moment to make changes. There testing strategies are ahead of ours due to the sheer capacity in place. If I need tested I probably still need to make a 50 mile journey and potentially wait days for results.

No way can she make changes while it is still like this.

However one of the tories 5 statements we keep hearing is a large sustained decrease in deaths. That is clearly not happening so I have no idea how the bold Boris can proceed to stage 2 anyway.

On a separate but controversial note. No one is really getting tore in about the specific cases in care homes where the NHS hospitals had discharged the old dears who were positive without testing them. Hiding behind the scientists advice on this is like sending bulls to the slaughterhouse

If it comes to pass the old dears should have been tested and were not then the NHS takes some of the actual blame.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What are you actually saying here? What's the argument?

Me: Billionaires could give away almost all their money and they and their great grandchildren could still live in luxury compared to normal people. Their motivation for publishing headlines about restarting the economy is to continue amassing wealth that is disconnected from their welfare.

You: Do you, a normal person, give away most of your money?

Me: No

You: Therefore the press should remained owned by billionaires, hypocrite.

Is that about the size of it?

You want billionaires to give away 95% of their wealth (something that I agree they could probably do), but won't give away any of yours.

I didn't say that and it's a total non sequitur, and wasn't germane to your original post.

10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Just get ICU capacity up to a level that allows us to get this over in done after one complete easing of lockdown, those in vulnerable groups can without penalty carry on as is if they wish. 

There were 585 ICU beds available in Scotland on 14th April, with a target of increasing that to 700.

To date the most that have been needed is 221, on the 12th of April.

We don't need a lockdown to prevent the NHS being overrun.

Englandshire is undoubtedly in a better place than us at the moment to make changes. There testing strategies are ahead of ours due to the sheer capacity in place. If I need tested I probably still need to make a 50 mile journey and potentially wait days for results.
No way can she make changes while it is still like this.

However one of the tories 5 statements we keep hearing is a large sustained decrease in deaths. That is clearly not happening so I have no idea how the bold Boris can proceed to stage 2 anyway.

On a separate but controversial note. No one is really getting tore in about the specific cases in care homes where the NHS hospitals had discharged the old dears who were positive without testing them. Hiding behind the scientists advice on this is like sending bulls to the slaughterhouse
If it comes to pass the old dears should have been tested and were not then the NHS takes some of the actual blame.

Your post and the one immediately above make an interesting juxtaposition. Whilst Englandshire may well be in a better position testing and medical resource-wise, there are millions of people down there who were living by the month financially long before this pandemic. Johnson will be coming under real pressure from many quarters to ease the lockdown, and in all honesty probably before he should, and this will be a big factor in any decision. That's not to minimise the levels of poverty or deprivation in Scotland, far from it, but the Tories will worry far, far more about the aspirational classes who vote for them than the residual poor. Sturgeon's announcement today will probably arouse anger around the Cabinet table, correct as it is.

There were 585 ICU beds available in Scotland on 14th April, with a target of increasing that to 700.
To date the most that have been needed is 221, on the 12th of April.
We don't need a lockdown to prevent the NHS being overrun.

The current level of Covid NHS activity allows a return to the appropriate working of the non- Covid aspects of the NHS. It’s every bit as crucial that we don’t allow these equally important aspects of healthcare be lost by a surge in Covid cases.