Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If English folk are allowed to drive to their favourite beauty spot to go for a walk or picnic, what's to stop them heading to Scotland?
Would Wee Jimmy Krankie be allowed to overrule Boris the Great?

Officers at the border with 2 metre long batons to batter them with.

36 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It kind of goes against places like nz and others with tiny numbers of cases though.

The real proof of that pudding will be when tourism restarts in these places.

By limiting exposure now and essentially snuffing the virus out, the majority of the population will remain unexposed to the virus.

All it may then take is an asymptomatic tourist to start a new wave of infections, which could spread at will amomgst a ripe population and go undetected for months before they are hit with what we have been hit with now.

I can't imagine testing and temperature screening will be the permanent fixture it would need to be to absolutely prevent that scenario.

The hardest hit countries now will likely have less to worry about in the mid to long term

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Officers at the border with 2 metre long batons to batter them with.

Just now, throbber said:

If they want to come here for a walk they should self isolate for 2 weeks after crossing the border IMO.

Border controls are a reserved matter, lads.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If English folk are allowed to drive to their favourite beauty spot to go for a walk or picnic, what's to stop them heading to Scotland?

Would Wee Jimmy Krankie be allowed to overrule Boris the Great?

As you are not allowed to loiter in Scotland, they could be moved on or fined.

There's nothing really to stop someone driving to Scotland to go for a walk and, in truth, if they obeyed the rules here they would go undetected and likely cause no harm.

If it was me, though, and I had the choice of drive somewhere for a picnic where I will be left alone or drive someplace where I might get moved on and fined, I would have to be a bit daft to choose the latter.

Listening to Raab on the radio there. The PM will further explain what measures are to be taken in parliament today, a guidance document for employers will be published tomorrow, but they have somehow to implement these and be ready to open on Wednesday?

These people are fucking mental.

12 hours ago, Futureboy said:

Whit? A second wave of infection will inevitably result in deaths. 

FWIW, none of the assumptions I have followed are based on Spanish Flu.

You also proclaimed that there is a workplace "certification" to go back to work, which is untrue.

I think he meant not as many deaths as the first wave.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The real proof of that pudding will be when tourism restarts in these places.

By limiting exposure now and essentially snuffing the virus out, the majority of the population will remain unexposed to the virus.

All it may then take is an asymptomatic tourist to start a new wave of infections, which could spread at will amomgst a ripe population and go undetected for months before they are hit with what we have been hit with now.

I can't imagine testing and temperature screening will be the permanent fixture it would need to be to absolutely prevent that scenario.

The hardest hit countries now will likely have less to worry about in the mid to long term

I strongly suspect whenever reopening the border happens. There will almost certainly be testing at airports, with close to immediate results.

Just now, Turkmenbashi said:

I strongly suspect whenever reopening the border happens. There will almost certainly be testing at airports, with close to immediate results.

I absolutely agree. I was meaning further down the line

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Listening to Raab on the radio there. The PM will further explain what measures are to be taken in parliament today, a guidance document for employers will be published tomorrow, but they have somehow to implement these and be ready to open on Wednesday?

These people are fucking mental.

It's not unrealistic to assume large employers will have been working behind the scenes with the government to allow them to be ready to meet the guidance.

Not everyone will open straight away

I see the Commies have continued their surge of reported cases with another jaw dropping 11,656 today.

The mysterious mortality rate continues.

Today only 94 deaths.

Only 17 of those medical staff who complained about PPE and were shoved out of high rise blocks 😉

In theory yes, but give people an inch and they’ll take a mile in the UK.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Every society has their share of numpties.
I found it a wee bit scary, actually.
I'm in the "vulnerable" category (as is my wife), and my first reaction was 6c6fb310069905044e24548bb90460cf.jpg&key=5d571eabebb0bde110fb76c5f2927c3a072cde95e34e580d443824e647a3c007
Remember the odds are still massively in your favour. My dad is 81 and very vulnerable lung wise, and he got through it.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I posed this question two or three days ago and got no takers.  If I’ve got it wrong I’d be happy to be corrected.

The r number is Scotland wide, it uses the figures of either new deaths or new infections (I’m not sure which) in relation to the population as a whole.  However if there are significantly more new infections/deaths in care homes doesn’t that skew the r number for the population as a whole?

It’s no different from saying that the rate of reproduction of the infection in, for example, Glasgow is different from that in Fort William.  It’s very likely that the r numbers for the two localities are different.

However, whilst it’s impractical to have a different policy for Glasgow and Fort William, it seems to me that it is possible to have a different policy for care homes and for the rest of the country.

What if the care homes are in Glasgow and Fort William?

10 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Maybe I’m missing the obvious, but if Boris has told folk they can go to work, what are those people with kids who should be in school, but currently aren’t, supposed to do with the kids? They can’t send them round to the grandparents, he never said anything about relaxing the rules that would allow that. Why not? Why is it OK for folk to simply head into work tomorrow, to mix with colleagues, but it isn’t OK to mix with your own relatives, even in small groups?

Is the obvious answer ‘Boris is a complete p***k and is overseeing a complete clusterfcuk of such epic proportions that not even the SPFL could match it for eye-watering levels of stupidity?

Steady on!

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah but my whole point is that whilst a tiny percentage live in care homes the number of new infections/deaths in care homes is a significant part of the overall infection/death rate.

I’m pretty sure that there was a day last week when more than 50% of those who died in Scotland were in care homes.  So that’s a 50% death rate from  about 1% of the population.  That must seriously skew the r number.

It's very nearly 50% of Covid-19 deaths in NI, too.