Coronavirus (COVID-19)

42 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Are you saying you’d rather people didn’t wear them going forward? Or that you’re happy for people to wear them but just personally don’t like the look of them?

The latter.

Until it’s a legal requirement I won’t be wearing one 

Edited by Thereisalight..

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As important as R0 is being made out to be, its completely irrelevant if those most as risk of dying don't get infected

That's true, but it seems unlikely to me that easing the lockdown in Germany will have increased spread in care homes? Seems more likely it'd be in wider society

10 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
As important as R0 is being made out to be, its completely irrelevant if those most as risk of dying don't get infected

Aye ok then jason

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

There are roughly 3,000,000 in Scotland (roughly 55% of the population) under 45, of which only 19 have died so far.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest if all 3m were infected with coronavirus tomorrow the overall death toll would be less than it is currently.

If there were no over 45s in Scotland, meaning the total deaths so far were 19, nobody would be talking about Covid-19.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Tbh I don’t think BJ will say much different tonight than what Sturgeon has announced. Unlimited excercise is an excuse to be out the house from morning to night. BJ will probably say about garden centres reopening but aside from that I don’t think it will be much different than the Scottish “lockdown”

23 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Our ICUs haven't been overwhelmed like the pictures we saw ie we didn't need to refuse people treatment because we were out of resources.

Given the lack of ventilators during the first phase of the outbreak it's actually quite likely that people *were* 'refused treatment', on the grounds that they were too old or infirm to have the best chance of benefiting from ventilation. The difference is that in Italy the authorities wanted the outside world to see this on TV to show that the situation had to be taken seriously and get external aid; in the UK they quite clearly didn't because the NHS is a publicly funded state religion and the government would have been crucified for it. Plus the privacy issues in the UK that keep TV crews out of hospitals anyway other than for some gormless VE Day stunt routine by the staff.

Afaik that was the measure of success the tories were using to pat themselves on the back with and was the whole point of the lockdown in the first place 

Show me the line of the lockdown announcement where it says 'this lockdown will achieve the highest death rate in Europe but if we do nothing then the NHS would be overwhelmed as well'. The goalposts were only shifted away from the 'let's not be another Italy' in terms of death toll once it became clear that the lockdown had spectacularly failed to achieve that outcome.

Edited by vikingTON

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

Can you provide an example of behaviour that suggests 'thinking their mask is like Iron Man's suit'? I'm genuinely not sure what people who make this argument could be referring to.

Otherwise your fear of morons should only be heightened by the current situation, in which you're supposedly dependent on them to keep a magical two metre distance from you at all times without even a single credible effort at limiting the spread of infection. If we were talking about lowering protection requirements from a full Hazmat suit to a cloth mask then your concerns would be logical; but masks improve protection at a society level compared to the stack of useless and enormously disruptive nonsense that people are bizarrely attached to doing right now.

Example- making no effort to keep any sort of distance. 

I was making a fairly trivial observation about my perception of behaviour i've observed recently and not making any wider point but thanks for letting me know what i should think, it is appreciated. 

24 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I would say you’re missing the point why the majority of people buy campervans and go to the highlands 

Under normal circumstances, I’m sure going to the highlands in a campervan is very enjoyable, to get away from it all. Maybe I’m wrong, but going now? When you would even find it difficult to sit in a cafe with a cuppa’? 

I’m querying doing it just now, not all the time. Do you think anyone should be heading for the highlands in a campervan at this juncture? Are the places you’d normally park your van in for showers and power etc even open just now?

Tbh I don’t think BJ will say much different tonight than what Sturgeon has announced. Unlimited excercise is an excuse to be out the house from morning to night. BJ will probably say about garden centres reopening but aside from that I don’t think it will be much different than the Scottish “lockdown”

Right. Exercise as often as you want and go to the garden centre if you need.

The advice is going to be largely the same, and certainly not contradictory. It’s the same medical advice, after all.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

We all have grannies. Why is this so hard to understand.

I don't.

Given that you can't currently go visit your granny because she is at risk, what difference would it make you still not visiting her because you don't want to put her at risk, but allowing me to go to work?

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Example- making no effort to keep any sort of distance. 

I was making a fairly trivial observation about my perception of behaviour i've observed recently and not making any wider point but thanks for letting me know what i should think, it is appreciated. 

I can understand the concern with this, but I'm not sure the reality of it will tally with that expectation.

As I mentioned before, masks are pretty much compulsory if you want to be allowed in anywhere in Malaysia. It certainly doesn't seem to be resulting in any irresponsible behaviour as far as I can see.

It's just something that makes me a little more confident that if I'm in the supermarket and somebody sneezes, I don't have to panic about it.

I'm glad people here are wearing them rather than not. And I was glad the boy I mentioned earlier was barred from entering the shops without one.

Just now, JTS98 said:

I can understand the concern with this, but I'm not sure the reality of it will tally with that expectation.

As I mentioned before, masks are pretty much compulsory if you want to be allowed in anywhere in Malaysia. It certainly doesn't seem to be resulting in any irresponsible behaviour as far as I can see.

It's just something that makes me a little more confident that if I'm in the supermarket and somebody sneezes, I don't have to panic about it.

I'm glad people here are wearing them rather than not. And I was glad the boy I mentioned earlier was barred from entering the shops without one.

I saw a family of 6 on a moped in Langkawi. I don't believe Malaysia is the gold standard of health and safety. 

That said, i think it probably would help if everyone wore masks and i'm really not concerned about it at all 

Talk of Sunak cancelling the Furlough scheme on Tuesday. I presume this is them announcing the scrapping from the end of June, although knowing the tories it’ll be right up their street Ot do it in such a way to put us all at risk.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I saw a family of 6 on a moped in Langkawi. I don't believe Malaysia is the gold standard of health and safety. 

That said, i think it probably would help if everyone wore masks and i'm really not concerned about it at all 

That's kind of my point. Malaysia is not some bastion of health and safety, but people here don't go nuts and behave irresponsibly because they're wearing a mask.

I don't believe that wearing a mask makes things more dangerous. That's the whole point.