Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

If the talking haystack lifts the lockdown, or even relaxes it to allow travel, I do hope the Police in the borders are going to be stopping loads of fuckwits in campervans heading for the highlands, preferably with large fines. 

The question I would have for anyone jumping into a campervan heading from anywhere to the highlands is simple - what the fcuk are you going to do when you get there? I mean, I enjoy a day trip to St Andrews or Largs as much as the next guy, but even if I thought ‘fcuk it’ and decided to go tomorrow, what the actual fcuk would I do when I got there? No Nardinis, no restaurants, no cafes, no golf shops in St Andrews, no watching the golfers on the Old Course, no Bosuns Table at Largs Yacht Marina, no fish & chips.... no point. Whatsoever. Normally, in good weather, both are vibrant cheery places in which to spend a lovely day simply strolling around. Who wants to go when it would be completely abnormal, borderline depressing?

I don't think I've not been alert on the rare occasions I've left the house the last seven weeks.

There are quite a lot that need reminding of this, based on my recent experience, but the key kessage simply had to be to continue staying at home. No reason at all to depart from this. 

On another note, the cabinet are seemingly furious about this being dumped on them out of the blue. 

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The question I would have for anyone jumping into a campervan heading from anywhere to the highlands is simple - what the fcuk are you going to do when you get there? I mean, I enjoy a day trip to St Andrews or Largs as much as the next guy, but even if I thought ‘fcuk it’ and decided to go tomorrow, what the actual fcuk would I do when I got there? No Nardinis, no restaurants, no cafes, no golf shops in St Andrews, no watching the golfers on the Old Course, no Bosuns Table at Largs Yacht Marina, no fish & chips.... no point. Whatsoever. Normally, in good weather, both are vibrant cheery places in which to spend a lovely day simply strolling around. Who wants to go when it would be completely abnormal, borderline depressing?

Maybe so but it’s different.  I suppose it depends on how far you go.

It’s a 30 minute drive to St Andrews for us, we were their both weekends before the lockdown and didn’t do anything more exciting than go for a very long walk.

It’s a 30 minute drive to St Andrews for us, we were their both weekends before the lockdown and didn’t do anything more exciting than go for a very long walk.
You could at least cycle or walk to St Andrew's you lazy bassa

Just now, superbigal said:
6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You could at least cycle or walk to St Andrew's you lazy bassa

You don’t want me to survive this do you?

Assuming that Scotland doesn’t go ahead with any easing of restrictions and the rest of the U.K. does, is this the first significant difference in status between the different countries?

I’ve seen quite a few comment pieces and people saying that this is the time for Nicola to do this or do that and shine and show Scotland is on a different path from the Tories etc but from what I can see the Scottish and Westminster governments have followed the same policies (initial social distancing advice, staggered ramp up until lockdown on March 23rd) and have also had similar issues (lack of testing and testing capacity, severe outbreaks in care homes). Regarding PPE there has been talk of issues with the supply in Scotland but nothing definitive that I can see.

Even this difference appears to be on timings rather than substance -if we progress to an R number similar to the rest of the U.K. will we take similar easing measures? From the statement the other day it would seem so.

One advantage that Scotland moving later will be is that we can observe what happens in England and modify responses accordingly. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t really significant changes in people going to work or businesses reopening (aside from garden centres for some reason) once lockdown is eased, a lot of people will still be very wary. Most people who have switched to home working won’t be going back (my company is mainly based in London and I am 100% sure none of them will be returning) and there probably won’t be enough customers for a lot of service businesses to reopen.

Also, will the different regions of Scotland be put on different reopening rates - the Highlands has a low number of cases and had no new cases yesterday will that mean that businesses can reopen or people in Inverness can exercise more? I don’t think that’s been discussed as far as I can see.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The farthest we’ve been is Cumbernauld to Braehead. 25 min drive. Has been great, because a normally heaving place has been almost deserted, yet in one location, we had access to M&S, Sainsburys, Halfords, Boots, Superdrug and Holland & Barrett. The Clyde walkway behind the centre is dead quiet, so a one-stop place to combine a long walk with supplies - and hardly any queues. A somewhat spooky experience walking through a completely deserted Braehead shopping centre though. Still playing the usual ‘mall radio’ with customer announcements. I took some photos, will likely never be in it like this again.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

if we progress to an R number similar to the rest of the U.K. will we take similar easing measures? From the statement the other day it would seem so.

Also, will the different regions of Scotland be put on different reopening rates - the Highlands has a low number of cases and had no new cases yesterday will that mean that businesses can reopen or people in Inverness can exercise more?

The answer to all of this should be yes

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A somewhat spooky experience walking through a completely deserted Braehead shopping centre though.

I agree with this. I've been in the likes of EK, Livingston, Silverburn etc when they have had no customers and it's quite surreal

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Agree. A thirty minute drive for you takes you to a place with excellent walks. For us though, St Andrews is an hour and a bit, and under normal circumstances is a proper away day, not a place we consider to be a short hop. Looking forward to going again under more normal circumstances. Won’t be anytime soon. Let’s hope though, that it will be as soon as realistically possible.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Went to Pollok Park. Is unhappy about people being in Pollok Park.

Walked to Pollok Park. Walked in single file along the edge of the paths while families cycled 3 abreast coming within inches of other folk. Turned back after 5 minutes. 

People know there is a pandemic and there were signs saying keep 2 metres away. These people are c***s and it's entirely reasonably to moan about c***s in this thread.

I normally go shopping at 8am with fellow 'lets get this done as quickly as possible' people. However, yesterday I went mid/late afternoon.

I thought the 'sitting in the car' thing was a bit of a p&b in joke. Windows down heating up full blast type thing. I was shocked that there were plenty of of adults sitting in the car themselves while presumably someone was in shopping. Why on earth would you sit in the car park of a local shop when you could just relax at home? Mental

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

The pictures from Italy a fortnight before we "locked down" is the evidence that lockdowns work. The point was to stop the nhs getting past bursting point - saving lives was a secondary objective (which obvs we fucked) 

What, Italy with a lower death toll than the UK? A country whose case rate in Bergamo and Lombardy was hundreds of times higher than Rome and the entire south?

The Italian health authorities allowed the filming of crisis scenes inside hospitals in Bergamo to raise wider European awareness of their plight. The reason that you don't see similar pictures from the UK is because they don't let TV crews waltz into an ICU, ever. That doesn't show that 'the lockdown has been successful', even by the ever shifting goalposts that you keep using for it.