Coronavirus (COVID-19)

59 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

For the same reason they built extra hospitals. They panicked at the 500,000 figure and couldn't risk not having the additional capacity. Nightingale didnt open until about a week after the peak, and had taken just 41 patients by the 24th.

I find it incredibly hard to believe a disease with an average time from infection to death of 24 days or there or there abouts would peak sharply just 18 days after lockdown started. Especially when, during that period supermarkets were rammed, and there was little in the way of social distancing outside or inside them like there is now. It seems too soon.

I also find it incredible that we are still counting cases from March in a death total announced on 12th May as having died "in the last 24 hours" It's what leads to people going mental at the thought of easing lockdown when "hundreds are dying each day" which, whilst true, the actual number has been around 200 per day for over a week (around 13% of expected daily deaths) and has started to fall quite sharply over the last 5 days

If the same method of counting is applied up here it would be interesting to see

20200512_183334.jpg

These lads concluded an average (median) progression to fatality at just over 18 days.  That seems incredibly consistent with a peak after 18 days. 

Fortunately they have published a fair amount of detail about their methodology so you can be very specific about where you think their analysis is weak. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext

What you got? 

12 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

It's amazing how Oaksoft knows the mindset of every single teacher, nurse and research scientist. What a guy. 

I've just noticed that he started a thread to deliver a lecture on the mindset of the working class a while ago too.

The gift that keeps on giving.

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Not great, not sure why they chose 3 years for self employed other than to save cash. 

I'm sure that the self employed will eventually grasp the irony of the government trying to keep as many of them off the books as possible to save money. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

I'm sure that the self employed will eventually grasp the irony of the government trying to keep as many of them off the books as possible to save money. 

I think the government will eventually grasp the irony of those left out holding onto as much of their cash as possible going forward. 

17 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Tremendous stuff today guys. Proper Vera Lynn, good old Blighty, Blitz spirit getting us through the pandemic.

-Todd still claiming it's a bad case of the flu.

-Teachers are feckless and should bloody well work for free and if they don't like it they should bloody well get another job.

-Oaky having one of his 'episodes'

Lowkey highlight for me though was @Granny Danger and @SlipperyP having an argument about the morals of 'buying' Thai brides.

All in all, I'll be out giving it laldy with the pots and pans on Thursday night in recognition of everyone's commitment on here.

The new thing is getting your tits out. 

32 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I’ve been informed I’m not eligible for anything, but by f**k I’ll be paying for years to pay it all back. I’ve had the piss ripped out me for the 21 months I’ve been self employed, by other lads as I don’t take cash !! Everything goes through the books, everything done properly. I’ve sat for long enough through this, expecting very little, but at least something, but no, hee haw. I’m back at work, f**k them. 

Nightmare mate, What line of work are you in if you dont mind me asking?

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I think the government will eventually grasp the irony of those left out holding onto as much of their cash as possible going forward. 

Oh Aye, bare minimum going through now

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

We shouldnt be opening schools in scotland before the end of the summer holidays, no chance. But we should consider lengthening the school day in august by 30-45 minutes for kids to get extra tuition and catch up, isn’t a catch all answer but as close as possible to giving the government time to come up with distancing measures etc.

Would be daft to bother opening secondary schools before August, though maybe P7 need a few wee transition sessions.

There's no way at all they should be doing extra work once they get back. I'd say the complete opposite; move to a four day Mon-Thu teaching week. Let the teachers use Friday morning for admin/training/resources development and the kids can get a bit of (proper, professional) online homework to do over a three day weekend. 

Edited by bendan

He's just a spokesman, a mouthpiece ffs. Do you think he is sitting dreaming up and putting into practice these schemes himself.

In this current chancellor, we could well be looking at a future PM.
His handling of this crisis and his willingness to listen to reasonable concerns regarding extending furlough payments is very refreshing. I also like the way he has rejected the "addicted" phrase.

2 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Oh Aye, bare minimum going through now

I think that'll be the outlook of most in your situation, disappointing but understandable state of affairs for those penalised whilst trying to do the right thing. 

23 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Tremendous stuff today guys. Proper Vera Lynn, good old Blighty, Blitz spirit getting us through the pandemic.

-Todd still claiming it's a bad case of the flu.

-Teachers are feckless and should bloody well work for free and if they don't like it they should bloody well get another job.

-Oaky having one of his 'episodes'

Lowkey highlight for me though was @Granny Danger and @SlipperyP having an argument about the morals of 'buying' Thai brides.

All in all, I'll be out giving it laldy with the pots and pans on Thursday night in recognition of everyone's commitment on here.

Can you summarise this thread every day, in a match of the day style?  Would save me having to read the ill-informed crap some from dribbling simpletons who know nothing of which they are preaching.  

Anyone who wants kids to spend an extra 45 minutes a day at school is a heartless b*****d who has forgotten what it was like to be a child. The 5 minutes before 3.30 took an hour, so you're asking kids to spend an extra 9 hours in school. 

I'm sure there are a few teachers who want to be teachers but there are more than a few who are in it for days off and couldn't get a job anywhere else.
Aye any old dosser who can't get a job just needs to roll up at the school gates and they will instantly hand him a teaching job ! Grow up ffs.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Anyone who wants kids to spend an extra 45 minutes a day at school is a heartless b*****d who has forgotten what it was like to be a child. The 5 minutes before 3.30 took an hour, so you're asking kids to spend an extra 9 hours in school. 

Not to be a total teacher-w**k, but you're not far off with the statement.  Afternoons are a really poor time for engagement with learning, particularly with the younger ones.   Any teacher (an actual teacher,  not some knob with a keyboard and too much time on his hands) will tell you we try to teach our 'core' literacy and numeracy in the morning and try to have the rest of the curriculum in the afternoons where possible.  Kids get tired in the afternooons and you invariably have to go back over it in the next couple days if it's something particularly taxing like writing or maths. Simply sticking on an extra half hour each day would only be done to pander to parents who have found being at home with their kids tiring. 

Edited by super_carson

Strangely enough my son is in daily contact with his teachers and lessons continue via MS Teams. I don't know a single secondary teacher not currently working (can't speak for primary). What school do the teachers you refer teach at ?

Well no, what we actually saw here was someone claim with a straight face that teachers want nothing more to be in the classroom doing their job right now, when we all know that they much prefer sitting in the house instead. As would anybody else who saw their workload reduce or finish with no negative financial impact on themselves. Some teachers prefer to circle the wagons on that point though and pretend that they're some of sort of thankless servants for the next generation. And that's where we point and laugh.

44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You can rest easy.

It's difficult to get these guys out of their labs.

Clock watchers and "hourly rate" scientists get weeded out pretty damn quickly.

Those left are obsessive about their careers and it doesn't stop for them when they leave the office.

What should be more concerning to society is that the overwhelming amount  of research in the UK is performed by people with less than 5 years experience,

Don't get me wrong. They are the among the most talented people in society and are overseen by experienced Principal Investigators but most are on PhDs or are postdocs (1-5 years experience post-PhD) trying to nail their first permanent job having obtained their PhD. The Principal Investigators rarely do lab work. That's left to the most inexperienced people. That should concern people.

As an aside, scientists use UK and EU grant money and then publish predominately in international journals (usually US-owned publications) who hide the results behind paywalls. So the public, who pay for the research to be done, then have to pay again to access the results. Elsevier is a big example. I remember reading that their profits were £35bn. A growing number of scientists are forced into using an illegal online service to access these papers for free. That scandal is for another day though.

UK research institutions are required to make research open access in order for that same research to be eligible for Research Excellence Framework funding, which they rely upon for both financial and prestige reasons.