Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Thrilled with his victory over supermarkets, VT is now going for teachers. Has he overstretched? Time will tell.
He's built a helluva straw man.

Someone suggested teachers should work overtime for no money, and gaz rightly explained why that was a stupid idea.

Since then vton has decided that teachers are martyrs, and need brought down a peg.

I'm happy to admit that for the first time in my career I'm not working my allocated 35 hours atm, and I'm certainly enjoying spending some quality time with my own kids. But I'm desperate for this to be over so that things can return to normal.

By far the best thing about being a teacher is the actual teaching. When you've got a decent class there's nothing better, and as someone mentioned earlier - it's all the added bullshit that builds the stress.

So you're admitting that you have absolutely no knowledge, qualification or experience to justify your opinion? Do you have any empirical research or evidence to back up your fanciful notion that we're all skiving?  

At worst, we're working our contracted hours for once. 

He did a fucking history degree which everyone knows is a diddy degree.

Things that have happened in this thread:

• I have said that the teachers I know would far rather be in school just now teaching the way we've been trained to teach, rather than this online model we've all switched to;
  • I have said that forcing teachers to go in over the summer, or extending the school day, should be remunerated (apparently getting paid for your work is an alien concept to some).

Things that haven't happened in this thread:

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Who is martyring them?

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your fellow Falkirk fan and EIS flunkey, ages ago. 

This.

I find you nowhere near as tiresome a poster as some others do, but I do think it's quite interesting the number of times you dismiss anecdotal evidence as being completely worthless, yet your viewpoint here appears to be solely "Based on the teachers I hear and see from, yes".

Awh bugger, I did history as an undergrad. Does that make me as bad as him?

And yes. It is a diddy degree. The fact I wrote a masters dissertation on the cultural history of sport should testify to this.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Seen it. Belter.

Somebody probably did.*

* I am not condoning violence against women

Edited by Granny Danger

Woh woh woh, calm yourself down here. It's true that arts students spend about forty mins a week in lectures but writing last minute essays and cramming in historiography without reading any actual books is not fucking easy.

58 minutes ago, super_carson said:

And yes. It is a diddy degree. The fact I wrote a masters dissertation on the cultural history of sport should testify to this.

That's a YP, not a HP. 

If we're judging degrees based on the nonsense some people choose to focus on we are as well abolishing universities now.

Actually that's a great idea. Let's tear down Oxbridge.

Edited by NotThePars

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Thrilled with his victory over supermarkets, VT is now going for teachers. Has he overstretched? Time will tell.

Not confident in his declaration that teaching constitutes the biggest skive of any sector in the Scottish economy given that, as far as I know, landlords still exist but excited to see where he goes with it.

2 hours ago, Sport socks and scampi said:

Without any experience in the sector ( apart for attending uni )   I'd say uni/college lecturers have a far easier teaching load and are rewarded with better holidays and pay.  

Nonsense 

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Being a teacher is the logic step after getting a diddy degree.

Colleges turned universities are on turning people with pointless degrees into apathetic, mediocre teachers. 

2 hours ago, Sport socks and scampi said:

Without any experience in the sector ( apart for attending uni )   I'd say uni/college lecturers have a far easier teaching load and are rewarded with better holidays and pay.  

Teaching only represents about 40% of the workload of university lecturers, with the rest of the time being spent on research and associated admin. University lecturers also absolutely don't have better holidays than school teachers, and aren't necessarily paid more at a similar level of experience (ie new lecturer just finished a PhD v teacher with 3 years under their belt).

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

I did theology as an undergrad with an honours dissertation on the Presbyterian Diaspora.

Very much not a diddy degree.

That would depend on what their job role was and what their research interests were. 8 hours of teaching a week corresponds to anything between 12-15 hours when you consider preparation time, marking time and dealing with student emails and other silly admin tasks. I don't know a lot about accounting, but I'd guess they'd come from some sort of business or economics background and would therefore presumably be researching in that field. Alternatively, given that they said that they were off Mondays and Fridays they may have either been part time or one of a very small number of university teaching staff who are purely employed on a teaching contract, but if so their salary would have been nowhere close to what a teacher gets.

On 09/05/2020 at 09:45, Detournement said:

Making international comparisons which ignore the huge pre existing differences between nations should be avoided.

There are a lot tweets today comparing Iowa to South Korea in terms of deaths. Not many tweets highlighting that Iowa has 36% obesity and South Korea has 3%!

That was mentioned by "MD" in Private Eye last week 

Basically if you want to help the NHS don't dodge salads (if only I practice what I preach..)