Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A bunch of restaurants that had reopened in Austin texis have had to close back down as staff became infected. Think the chances of a second wave are higher where they haven't got the numbers down, are wildly opening really quickly and aren't taking precautions when out and about. Hopefully we have it under control enough over here to deal with that. 

Seems to have been a bit haphazard opening the schools down south. Again hopefully we'll be a bit more organised and sensible about it, and obviously waiting till August is a good shout as long as things continue the way they are 🤞 

Edited by madwullie

That's not even been mentioned at either of the announcements today concerning mandatory face coverage. It's coverage AND social distancing. Surely a meter (which let's face it SHOULD be most people's norm) with mandatory coverings would suffice.
Johnson's already waffling about reducing the distance to 1 metre. Then it's a very small step to turning it into an advisory, common sense principle rather than the OCD charter that has achieved nothing other than ensuring that vast tracts of the economy and society couldn't function for months on end.
Mandatory facemasks in public spaces + advised social distancing practices (just like regular handwashing that is much more important anyway) = a sane and functioning country again.
NS has already dismissed the 1m chat so we can forget that up here

Report in the lancet (mentioned in 5 live at 9.39pm) explained that 2m gives you double the protection of 1m (statistically) - but the odds of you catching it are still very small.

So if you're within the vicinity of someone who is contagious...

1m away - 2.6% chance of catching it
2m away - 1.3% chance of catching it

That's a fairly solid improvement in protection, but at the same time anyone that's acting overly precious over this kind of thing needs a good slap.

Guest JTS98
11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Today's UK figures are a disaster for second wavers. Almost 1 month on from VE Day / restrictions easing and deaths crash.

Minter.

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The press and folk on here are just itching for the “second wave” so they can pour scorn on people going about their life’s with some normality.

Honestly, lads. Step back and take a deep breath.

The doctor who threatened to quit if Cummings wasn’t fired says he plans to do so.  I’m sure there were posters on here who were convinced he wouldn’t follow through with this.

Pimenta said he had this week submitted the paperwork needed to trigger his exit from the NHS medical training programme and would leave in October. However, if there is a second wave before then he will stay on until it has ended, he added.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/04/doctor-quits-nhs-over-dominic-cummings-refusal-to-resign-dominic-pimenta-second-wave-covid-19

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

For all gammons love 'common sense' they don't half need to be given meticulous instructions for every fucking little thing.

Yet when instructions are specific, it's 'nanny state', 'SNP totalitarian government', 'Sturgeon is a dictator' etc etc

My late Granny genuinely once said 'thon Salmond.... worse than Hitler', and she did actually live through WWII

9 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Guy at my work tested positive last night, showing absolutely no symptoms whatsoever.  He has diabetes (unsure which type) and was supposed to be shielding.  He assumes his wife, who is a carer, and his 4 kids will more than likely have it.  

First person I know personally to be confirmed as having it.

Why was he tested?

I wonder if anyone will model how many fewer people would have died if masks/face coverings had been made compulsory three months ago? It should’ve been the first thing done not the last.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yet when instructions are specific, it's 'nanny state', 'SNP totalitarian government', 'Sturgeon is a dictator' etc etc

My late Granny genuinely once said 'thon Salmond.... worse than Hitler', and she did actually live through WWII

They Yoons, what they like. They also believe a football club that is 8 years old has won the top league in Scotland 54 times when in reality the have won 1 diddy cup.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I wonder if anyone will model how many fewer people would have died if masks/face coverings had been made compulsory three months ago? It should’ve been the first thing done not the last.

A lot more front line staff for sure.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Report in the lancet (mentioned in 5 live at 9.39pm) explained that 2m gives you double the protection of 1m (statistically) - but the odds of you catching it are still very small.

So if you're within the vicinity of someone who is contagious...

1m away - 2.6% chance of catching it
2m away - 1.3% chance of catching it

That's a fairly solid improvement in protection, but at the same time anyone that's acting overly precious over this kind of thing needs a good slap.

1m is quite close enough for anyone to get, covid or not. 

Edited by coprolite

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

It would be useful to know what percentage of new cases are asymptomatic I think.

If, as the Italian & Spanish doctors say they have observed, the virus has significantly weakened, and the majority of new cases now are very mild or asymptomatic, then test and protect becomes a bit pointless.

No point having people isolating for 14 days and locking everything down if we reach a stage where the virus causes only a small minority to experience more than a cough.

I would hope the SG are aware of, and consider, the above.

Seems that Italian doctor was talking out of his arse and is backtracking. If I'd known he used to be Berlusconi's personal physician I would have been more sceptical. Disappointing. The fact that patients are arriving with a lower viral load is probably just down to social distancing and face masks.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-who-transmission/who-and-other-experts-say-no-evidence-of-covid-19-losing-potency-idUKKBN23832J

The original article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

What is it about Italian and French doctors and crying for attention with unfounded claims?

Edited by welshbairn

There’s a second wave going through Iran at the moment, and it’s worse than the first. Any hope that this will just go away is at best completely unfounded.

We’re through the looking glass now where the same people who never thought there was a need for a lockdown are looking at the numbers and asking whether we need current restrictions for 200 dead per day, and falling. We’ll get there but it’s idiotic to rush.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

To see if he had coronavirus. 

I like that he's asymptomatic but is tested, but wife's a carer and hasn't been tested. Next up in Scotland will be mandatory face masks for people working from home but optional for everyone else.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

I like that he's asymptomatic but is tested, but wife's a carer and hasn't been tested. Next up in Scotland will be mandatory face masks for people working from home but optional for everyone else.

Probably works offshore. It's pretty essential.

11 hours ago, madwullie said:

A bunch of restaurants that had reopened in Austin texis have had to close back down as staff became infected. Think the chances of a second wave are higher where they haven't got the numbers down, are wildly opening really quickly and aren't taking precautions when out and about. Hopefully we have it under control enough over here to deal with that. 

Seems to have been a bit haphazard opening the schools down south. Again hopefully we'll be a bit more organised and sensible about it, and obviously waiting till August is a good shout as long as things continue the way they are 🤞 

Our schools have re-opened, too, but as far as I'm aware it's (mostly) for children who need extra help. Wasn't much activity at our local primary school yesterday when I drove past it taking my wife for a doctor's appointment.