Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Jason Leitch asking parents to use "good old common sense" when assessing child illnesses, while spot on, is hilarious.

Not a single bit of "good old common sense" has been allowed to be applied by anyone else to any other group over the last 5½ months.

Now that it absolutely suits them, though, it's allowed to be applied for that specific purpose only.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Jason Leitch asking parents to use "good old common sense" when assessing child illnesses, while spot on, is hilarious.

Not a single bit of "good old common sense" has been allowed to be applied by anyone else to any other group over the last 5½ months.

Now that it absolutely suits them, though, it's allowed to be applied for that specific purpose only.

Government finally says something you approve of, so they're manipulative hypocrites. They really can't win.

Abbott Labs??? Diane Abbott? Bet they meant to say 5 million!!!

D10CFE08-2186-414E-B53A-E393EB26F524-6011-00000448025C676C.jpg

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A test with 98.5% specificity is not very good if the focus remains on new cases rather than hospitalisations, though.

Edited by Todd_is_God

A cheery good news story.  Perhaps the Covid recession could stop landlords specifying 'No DSS' in tenancy adverts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53821317

I've got to be honest as well, I know a few private landlords and the reasons given in this article don't cover why they don't like letting to benefit claimants:

• The timeliness and levels of benefit awards - including complaints about universal credit, a shortfall between housing benefit and private sector rents and in some cases, fluctuating levels of benefit income
  • Banks and insurers saw benefit claimants as higher risk
  • Landlords trying to avoid extra fees for tenants who would fail credit checks and references

Every landlord I have ever heard talk about this doesn't like to let to benefit claimants because, unfair as it is, people working are perceived to be less likely to give landlords problems than those on benefits.   They should probably just say that than dress it up.

53 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

could finally be the start of a climb down from deadly virus we must protect from to , watch what your doin but get on with life type advice

I’m on benefits and had issues finding somewhere to rent. 

The article doesn’t state the “they’re all junkies, alchies and scum”. Which is really why.

On both occasions I’ve ended up with properties where the person was advertising privately and I was able to explain circumstances.

9 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’m on benefits and had issues finding somewhere to rent. 

The article doesn’t state the “they’re all junkies, alchies and scum”. Which is really why.

On both occasions I’ve ended up with properties where the person was advertising privately and I was able to explain circumstances.

I've got a bit of experience with that and would say that's a key thing. With the way leases work now, tenants can give a month's notice at any time. Women with kids make up a big percentage of tenants getting benefits (so "no DSS" is a pretty misogynistic approach) and hopefully more landlords will cotton on that these tenants are more likely to stay long-term and make the place their home. Choose two "young professionals" who may fall out or get new jobs and move on after a few months or go for someone like you who will probably be there a while and want to make a nice environment for the kids. 

Not sure if the legislation has caught up with insurance and mortgage companies though as they have always been able to discriminate against anyone and then in turn the landlord has to exclude those groups (be it students, folk getting benefits..). 

People getting told to get back to the office by people working from home.Those that dont know the words to the last night of the prom songs will be agreeing on social media shortly with pictures of the d day landings with the words "our brave boys didnt storm the beches so you can work from home"

To be fair, “are heroes” didn’t storm the beaches of Normandy by working from home.

26 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I've got a bit of experience with that and would say that's a key thing. With the way leases work now, tenants can give a month's notice at any time. Women with kids make up a big percentage of tenants getting benefits (so "no DSS" is a pretty misogynistic approach) and hopefully more landlords will cotton on that these tenants are more likely to stay long-term and make the place their home. Choose two "young professionals" who may fall out or get new jobs and move on after a few months or go for someone like you who will probably be there a while and want to make a nice environment for the kids. 

Not sure if the legislation has caught up with insurance and mortgage companies though as they have always been able to discriminate against anyone and then in turn the landlord has to exclude those groups (be it students, folk getting benefits..). 

I was in the flat for 5 years and decorated it throughout. Saved them a lot when kitchen was being replaced by ripping out one out and building the ikea units.

If the kids school hadn’t gone to shit I’d still be there. 

When I moved here I made it clear to landlord I’d not want to move much before youngest was well through secondary school.

Rents always paid and this is our home.  I lost out on two others before this as they opted for full time employed......doesn’t mean they’ll pay their rent!!!

Today’s discourse on the merits of working in an office has presumably came from the orders of Are Boris? Can imagine him texting his boys at The Spectator “need people back in office, write something” and that’s how you end up with Isabel Hardman saying “office work is the only way some women avoid domestic abuse”.

I've worked for a few different companies and my current employers have done exceptionally well in setting up working from home.  It's a much younger and more technology focused company and from what I've heard we are doing a much better job than my previous workplaces.  I don't think my old employers will be going out of business soon though.
I think smaller companies will be able to respond better to things like this.  Quite a lot of large organisations make the Soviet Union look like an innovative start up.

Our work started preparing back in January for home working. I got handed a laptop 2 weeks before lockdown and was told not to come in from the day lockdown began. From that point on the only people in the office we’re managers and those awaiting laptops.

Few issues but they’ve even now admitted that there is probably no point in going back full time to the office even after this.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Today’s discourse on the merits of working in an office has presumably came from the orders of Are Boris? Can imagine him texting his boys at The Spectator “need people back in office, write something” and that’s how you end up with Isabel Hardman saying “office work is the only way some women avoid domestic abuse”.

Aye, it'll be the the unholy alliance of retirees who don't want anyone to benefit from something they never benefitted from even if it's no cost to them, white van men who don't want anyone to benefit from something they can't benefit from even if it's no cost to themselves and m/billionaires who don't want anyone but themselves to benefit from anything.

Edited by Gordon EF