Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 hours ago, superbigal said:

Walk in centre being set up in St Andrew's. Not before time as thousands of overseas students imminent. Very few with means of transport and the town itself has very poor transport links to any test centre. I was hoping that universities and even large schools might actually get their own on site test centres or at least stocks of diy test kits. No idea why this is not possible as this huge increase in testing is clearly down to education.
On the university arrivals it will also be interesting to see how many of those required to quarantine on arrival for 14 days cope.

Going off on a tangent, but how are all these thousands of students actually going to get to the UK?

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mmm, perhaps.

I've seen quite a few folk on Twitter claim to being e-mailed by the school requesting testing for runny noses and solitary coughs. Strangely when people ask them to post said e-mail up so that people can see they mysteriously disappear.

Aye, bit like's Todd's pal Kevin.

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

No.

They're expecting people with a persistent cough to go for a test. It's quite clear.

persistent cough isn't usually a sign of the cold or flu.

There are a huge number of very stupid people in the country who won't have the first idea what persistent means and probably just think in means "bad". 

Some woman ranting on the BBC Scotland website that if you've got a blocked / runny nose youve lost your sense of smell so therefore snp bad, wee nippy, face nappies childhoods ruined etc 
I suppose there is a point of sorts in there.

As the advice stands, a loss of taste/smell is regarded as a Covid symptom, regardless of whether or not you 'know' it has been caused by the common cold.

Not sure how they can tweak the guidance about when to isolated and book a test to take this into account right enough?

31 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

I suppose there is a point of sorts in there.

As the advice stands, a loss of taste/smell is regarded as a Covid symptom, regardless of whether or not you 'know' it has been caused by the common cold.

Not sure how they can tweak the guidance about when to isolated and book a test to take this into account right enough?

Well aye, but I thought it was pretty clear it wasn't a stuffed nose loss of smell, but some kind of neurological symptom. Maybe I'm too baw deep in it and Joe public isn't as well informed. Maybe I need to keep the f**k away from the BBC Scotland FB page

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Well aye, but I thought it was pretty clear it wasn't a stuffed nose loss of smell, but some kind of neurological symptom. Maybe I'm too baw deep in it and Joe public isn't as well informed. Maybe I need to keep the f**k away from the BBC Scotland FB page

It's the same with loss of taste when you are choked up with the cold.

I don't know if it's thick people taking the "loss of taste" literally, regardless of the fact you know you have a cold, whether it is people terrified because they've had saturation coverage of covid deaths and think they are about to die, or a combination of both.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53930145

Coronavirus: Review after row over Storm Francis school break

A school says it is reviewing its breaktime policy after pupils were told to stay outside during a storm because of physical distancing concerns.

Storm Francis battered much of Scotland on Tuesday.

Some parents of pupils at Mackie Academy in Stonehaven complained after reports that children had to huddle under a tree in the playground for shelter.

Aberdeenshire Council said the issue was being looked at.

The issue emerged after parents took to social media to voice their concerns that pupils were left in the rain and wind.

One wrote: "Children need to stay outside the whole lunch time in the rain. Then they came back wet to the school and sit in the class with wide open windows.

"They need to stay outside because of the virus and social distance, but if they are standing very close to each other under a tree to not be wet is it OK?"

'New guidance'

The local authority said: "Unfortunately, due to insufficient indoor space to maintain physical distancing, pupils at Mackie Academy were told remain outside during breaktime and lunchtime during inclement weather.

"These arrangements were in line with Scottish government advice.

"A review of arrangements is being carried out by Mackie Academy's senior leadership team. New guidance will make it clearer where pupils can gather inside during breaktimes and lunchtimes when there are bad weather events."

The school said it planned to put up temporary shelters for pupils who wished to remain outside to help keep them dry in future.

ZomboMeme 27082020165527.jpg

I admit I’ve only heard the clip in isolation but wth does Sturgeon’s “the virus doesn’t care about the shape of the ball” actually mean? It’s not the virus who’s giving the go ahead on which sports can have test audiences.

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53930145

Coronavirus: Review after row over Storm Francis school break

A school says it is reviewing its breaktime policy after pupils were told to stay outside during a storm because of physical distancing concerns.

Storm Francis battered much of Scotland on Tuesday.

Some parents of pupils at Mackie Academy in Stonehaven complained after reports that children had to huddle under a tree in the playground for shelter.

Aberdeenshire Council said the issue was being looked at.

The issue emerged after parents took to social media to voice their concerns that pupils were left in the rain and wind.

One wrote: "Children need to stay outside the whole lunch time in the rain. Then they came back wet to the school and sit in the class with wide open windows.

"They need to stay outside because of the virus and social distance, but if they are standing very close to each other under a tree to not be wet is it OK?"

'New guidance'

The local authority said: "Unfortunately, due to insufficient indoor space to maintain physical distancing, pupils at Mackie Academy were told remain outside during breaktime and lunchtime during inclement weather.

"These arrangements were in line with Scottish government advice.

"A review of arrangements is being carried out by Mackie Academy's senior leadership team. New guidance will make it clearer where pupils can gather inside during breaktimes and lunchtimes when there are bad weather events."

The school said it planned to put up temporary shelters for pupils who wished to remain outside to help keep them dry in future.

It kicked off on my kids school parent council. I particularly like the “her converse were soaking”. Why would you send your kid to school in canvas shoes in pissing rain?! 

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's the same with loss of taste when you are choked up with the cold.

I don't know if it's thick people taking the "loss of taste" literally, regardless of the fact you know you have a cold, whether it is people terrified because they've had saturation coverage of covid deaths and think they are about to die, or a combination of both.

People are ill-informed at best, without being impolite. The loss of sense of smell I had was absolute, not just like a cold. 

Its an educational thing like anything else. Bit like folk turning up at A&E with a sore knee they’ve had for years.

Interestingly (for me anyway :lol:) the virus itself doesn’t go after the smell/taste receptors but actually inflames the nerves which carry the signals to the brain. 

56 minutes ago, Snafu said:

homeratthebat6_thumb.png?w=640

Czech Republic on the quarantine list.

Scotland playing away there a week on Monday. Presumably the players will be no exemption to rule (it would be very hypocritical after Bolingoli), so will need to sit in the house for 14 days and miss their club matches.....

47 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

On the radio they're discussing Sturgeon giving the green light for Murrayfield but not Parkhead and then playing a clip where she says "the virus doesn't care about the shape of the ball." In isolation that quote makes zero sense.

29 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Czech Republic on the quarantine list.

Scotland playing away there a week on Monday. Presumably the players will be no exemption to rule (it would be very hypocritical after Bolingoli), so will need to sit in the house for 14 days and miss their club matches.....

Elite sportspeople are exempt. 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/coronavirus-cases-lothian-schools-force-22588100

Coronavirus cases in Lothian schools force 88 pupils and eight staff members to self-isolate

So much for Devi Sridhar's nonsense 'oh the schools won't make a difference if we magically stop the virus at the front gate' strategy then. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

So much for Devi Sridhar's nonsense 'oh the schools won't make a difference if we magically stop the virus at the front gate' strategy then. 

The vast majority of them won't have the virus. 

Having a small number of people self isolating is better than having schools shut. 

It's absolutely hilarious that the UK is putting Czechia on its dangerous quarantine list btw when it has had less than 25k total cases while the UK is still belching out more than that every single month. If the plan is to just close most borders to international travel at the end of the tourist season then they should state that as this dartboard approach to which countries are safe is utter nonsense.