Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Contact your MP/MSP and ask them to clarify what the school is asking for is correct? 

I'm sure once an MP/MSP gets in touch with the school to ask them why they're requesting negative tests for a runny nose they'll quickly change their advice.

See my post a few pages ago.

I would be 99% confident in saying that the schools are not telling people to get tests for runny noses.

I'd say it's far more likely that parents are asking schools "should I get my kid tested" and the schools are covering themselves by telling them to take medical advice if they have any doubts.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think you are giving folk way too much credit there. We all know the vast, vast majority would rather spend thirty minutes ranting on FB than spend 30 seconds doing the above. The onus for protecting the testing system from school related over subscription has to fall at least partially on the schools, who will be a lot of parents first and only port of call for advice regarding this. 

As has been pointed out though - nobody should be receiving a test slot if the only symptoms showing are a runny nose (or other non-covid symptoms). So parents are being deceitful in a number of ways - they're either lying that their school demands a negative test for non-covid symptoms just so they can get some likes on social media, or they're lying to the test centre in order to get a test. Yer man Kevin whatshisname yesterday was a prime example, stating that his school said they need a test for any kind of cough, so how has he managed to get a test slot? He's obviously told them he does have a persistent cough.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

See my post a few pages ago.

I would be 99% confident in saying that the schools are not telling people to get tests for runny noses.

I'd say it's far more likely that parents are asking schools "should I get my kid tested" and the schools are covering themselves by telling them to take medical advice if they have any doubts.

As would I. But if you have a runny nose / cold it's likely you will have the odd cough.

From what I can picture from what I have seem posted, if a school gets twitchy about the cough and fires the kid off to an isolation room till they can get picked up then they will ask for a test.

At that point it's game over as no one is going to tell the school to pipe down because "just in case"

Whether you reckon they do or don't have covid symptoms, if the school say "negative test result or they are off for 14 days" then obviously parents are going to say whatever they need to to get a test.

Edited by Todd_is_God

As has been pointed out though - nobody should be receiving a test slot if the only symptoms showing are a runny nose (or other non-covid symptoms). So parents are being deceitful in a number of ways - they're either lying that their school demands a negative test for non-covid symptoms just so they can get some likes on social media, or they're lying to the test centre in order to get a test. Yer man Kevin whatshisname yesterday was a prime example, stating that his school said they need a test for any kind of cough, so how has he managed to get a test slot? He's obviously told them he does have a persistent cough.

IDK what would happen if you phoned up and said your kids school has mandated a negative test before they can return? Maybe a different outcome now its became news but last week? 

If you school says they cant come back until 14 days have passed or you produce a negative test, and your choices are lie to get a test or 2 weeks off without pay to look after your kid, what would you pick?

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

IDK what would happen if you phoned up and said your kids school has mandated a negative test before they can return? Maybe a different outcome now its became news but last week? 

If you school says they cant come back until 14 days have passed or you produce a negative test, and your choices are lie to get a test or 2 weeks off without pay to look after your kid, what would you pick?

I'd be asking why the school are requiring a test for a symptom that is not a symptom of Covid-19, and getting onto the education department at the council.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd be asking why the school are requiring a test for a symptom that is not a symptom of Covid-19, and getting onto the education department at the council.

I'm fairly certain that you'd just get a test tbh, rather than waste a few days arguing with people and getting nowhere.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I would too. Would you accept though that theres a lot of stupid out there, and we are seeing the manifestation of that in the testing system, and that schools have a responsibility not to feed the issue further by having their own message outwith that of the government?

This should now be nailed as an issue anyway, but it's absolutely no surprise that if schools have sent a kid home and said they cant come back without a negative test, folk have just shrugged their shoulders, booked the test and went for it. It's the easiest of all the options in this scenario and therefore the one most folk will take.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm fairly certain that you'd just get a test tbh, rather than waste a few days arguing with people and getting nowhere.

Isn't the point that you're not getting a test in a few days anyway?

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

As I mentioned before, those aren't the only choices open to parents and I'd contact my MP before doing anything further.

The fact that Sturgeon has been quite strong about who should be going for a test suggests to me that folk are lying to the test centre. I'm yet to see any evidence that schools are demanding negative tests before a return when the symptoms aren't clear and tend to agree with Gaz on that point that parents are being silly/irresponsible.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

The problem with covid (well one of the many problems) is its symptoms mirror so many common things like colds and flu. Are they really expecting people who have a cough to go for a test? If so then half of Scotland should have had one by now. 

Stay at school - protect the test centre - give us fuckin peace you hypochondriac

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The problem with covid (well one of the many problems) is its symptoms mirror so many common things like colds and flu. Are they really expecting people who have a cough to go for a test? If so then half of Scotland should have had one by now. 

No.

They're expecting people with a persistent cough to go for a test. It's quite clear.

persistent cough isn't usually a sign of the cold or flu.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:
Nicola coming out on team @virginton over the selfish parents, just dialled right down.

Crank it up to 11 baby!

Ninth Circuit Blog: Case o' The Week: Eleven is Better, Macinas-Flores

Truncheon in the face for any parent who requests a test for wee Jayden's runny nose: the right policy for a better Scotland.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Nicola coming out on team @virginton over the selfish parents, just dialled right down.

Some woman ranting on the BBC Scotland website that if you've got a blocked / runny nose youve lost your sense of smell so therefore snp bad, wee nippy, face nappies childhoods ruined etc 

Edited by madwullie

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

WIth the amount of schools/kids parents either wanting or being told that they must be tested, I can see come winter time the test centres being “overwhelmed” rather than the NHS

In that event then they should simply disqualify children from the Covid test system and oblige their households to self-isolate. After all as the parents and governemtn have been telling anyone who'd listen for months, the weans don't get it bad anyway so it isn't an immediate problem. Two weeks on the couch with Judge Judy and it's back to normal for them while the serious cases in the community are targeted. 

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Isn't the point that you're not getting a test in a few days anyway?

Yes & no. You can drive hundreds of miles to get one.

But arguing for a few days, getting nowhere, then potentially having to drive hundreds of miles to get a test anyway, would put most people off challenging the school IMO.

FWIW I agree with you.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Yes & no. You can drive hundreds of miles to get one.

But arguing for a few days, getting nowhere, then potentially having to drive hundreds of miles to get a test anyway, would put most people off challenging the school IMO.

Mmm, perhaps.

I've seen quite a few folk on Twitter claim to being e-mailed by the school requesting testing for runny noses and solitary coughs. Strangely when people ask them to post said e-mail up so that people can see they mysteriously disappear.