Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53983392

"Provisional figures from 27 August show that 86.7% of pupils in Scottish schools were absent, down from a confirmed 95.8% attendance on 17 August."

Can we assume that this is yet another BBC typo?  If not thats skiving on an incredible level

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

First to be vaccinated won't be the vulnerable or the children, it will be the self appointed elite, business leaders and ruling class. Those that flee cities during the early hours of the lockdowns and tell us to stay indoors.

Them doing that during the height of lockdown shows how little they were “afraid” of covid. Doubt they’d be too bothered with a vaccine 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The most 2020 thing to happen would be for Johnson or Trump to have a one-in-a-million reaction to the vaccine and die. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Or for it to give them superhuman strength and make them impervious to bullets

Mmmmm. Tough call.

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Can we not employ an army of junkies to administer the jabs as they are already trained in the art and it would be nice of them to engage with the old and vulnerable with their big houses and jewelry collections.

Two out of four's not bad.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, welshbairn said:
They could do it kerbside like testing. It's just a jab, not an intravenous injection. 

At the moment folk who qualify for the flu vaccine through work get a prescription, take it to Boots or Lloyd's chemists and they jab you there and then 10secs tops.

They should just have an assistant standing at the door jabbing everyone who comes in. Wouldn't be long in vaccinating the population then.

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

154 cases & 1.2 % of all tests positive

Armageddon!

FIrst time its been above 1.0% in the recent uptick in infections.

Hospitalisations up six to 264

ICU patients up one to six

@Todd_is_God Think yesterday you were saying that hopsitalisations weren't going up hand in hand with new infections. I know its only six new ones, but is this not creeping in the wrong direction now (hope you can prove otherwise?)

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

FIrst time its been above 1.0% in the recent uptick in infections.

Hospitalisations up six to 264

ICU patients up one to six

@Todd_is_God Think yesterday you were saying that hopsitalisations weren't going up hand in hand with new infections. I know its only six new ones, but is this not creeping in the wrong direction now (hope you can prove otherwise?)

I'm loathe to post a graph (I will anyway) but you can see here the trend over the last month is little increases followed by little decreases and so on and so forth.

Even allowing for those ripples we still have less in hospital today than we did 3 weeks ago.

Screenshot_20200901-145242_Opera.jpg

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm loathe to post a graph (I will anyway) but you can see here the trend over the last month is little increases followed by little decreases and so on and so forth.

Even allowing for those ripples we still have less in hospital today than we did 3 weeks ago.

Screenshot_20200901-145242_Opera.jpg

Thank you - so today's number is no different to early August then? (and our infections were in single figures back then)

I agree, that hospitalisations is probably the figure we should be keeping an eye on the most just now.

The bigger problem here is that we seem to have a large number of people occupying a bed for a prolonged period of time who are simultaneously not unwell enough to be in ICU.  

It's therefore hard to ascertain what's going on in hospital. Numbers in England, for example, continue to decline to the extent that there are now only a few dozen more people in hospital in the whole of England than there are in Scotland.  

52 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The bigger problem here is that we seem to have a large number of people occupying a bed for a prolonged period of time who are simultaneously not unwell enough to be in ICU.  

It's therefore hard to ascertain what's going on in hospital. Numbers in England, for example, continue to decline to the extent that there are now only a few dozen more people in hospital in the whole of England than there are in Scotland.  

No idea if this is true, but it could be that in England they don't count them as Covid patients if they've survived beyond a certain time without being discharged, whereas here we do.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No idea if this is true, but it could be that in England they don't count them as Covid patients if they've survived beyond a certain time without being discharged, whereas here we do.

If that were the case, then it is us doing something completely different from England, Wales & N.I.

My guess is along the lines of that though. It'll be a bunch of older and/or chronically ill people who tested positive months ago and have recovered from covid, but are stuck in with their chronic condition. It's not a lie in that circumstance to say they are "in hospital with confirmed covid" as A they are in hospital and B have provided a positive covid sample, but from a pandemic point of view it's about as useful for tracking the progress of it as the old PHE metric of anyone dying at any time, of any cause, who had ever tested positive being counted as a Covid death.

Based on my post yesterday about %age of hospitalised covid patients in ICU across the rest of the UK, I reckon the number of people in hospital in Scotland with active Covid-19 infections will be around 60 which, if true, would quite drastically change public opinion IMO.

Again, any half competent journalist should spot this anomaly a mile away (it stands out like a sore thumb) and ask about it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

If that were the case, then it is us doing something completely different from England, Wales & N.I.
My guess is along the lines of that though. It'll be a bunch of older and/or chronically ill people who tested positive months ago and have recovered from covid, but are stuck in with their chronic condition. It's not a lie in that circumstance to say they are "in hospital with confirmed covid" as A they are in hospital and B have provided a positive covid sample, but from a pandemic point of view it's about as useful for tracking the progress of it as the old PHE metric of anyone dying at any time, of any cause, who had ever tested positive being counted as a Covid death.
Based on my post yesterday about %age of hospitalised covid patients in ICU across the rest of the UK, I reckon the number of people in hospital in Scotland with active Covid-19 infections will be around 60 which, if true, would quite drastically change public opinion IMO.
Going by the local social media pages down here no one looks beyond the rise in daily cases. Every day after the briefing a new thread appears with a couple of hundred Facebook ma and da's demanding a second full lockdown. There would be no advantage in the SG fiddling hospital numbers to keep them artificially high (I doubt they are to be honest) as all the general public focus on is simply the number if daily new infections. I tried posting about the % of total tests but got shouted down.

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Going by the local social media pages down here no one looks beyond the rise in daily cases. Every day after the briefing a new thread appears with a couple of hundred Facebook ma and da's demanding a second full lockdown. There would be no advantage in the SG fiddling hospital numbers to keep them artificially high (I doubt they are to be honest) as all the general public focus on is simply the number if daily new infections. I tried posting about the % of total tests but got shouted down.

I tried hard to not make it come across as the fiddling anything. It would be a relic of a system not initially intended to run so long if that was the case.

Again though we are having conversations and making comparisons between countries, and it's impossible to just look at the number as we know that no 2 countries really count anything the same way. It's easy in hindsight, but there should have been standard definitions for everyone to use.

I like this graph, paying particular attention to Oldham. Like Aberdeen recently, they have been under a local lockdown with restrictions in place, however the approach taken was different (pubs, restaurants etc stayed open throughout).

As with Aberdeen, it's sorted itself out, yet without causing any stress or damage to the local economy.

Worth the SG noting in case they have to deal with another local lockdown.

20200901_171026.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53983392

I see that the gormless return of schools is going as well as expected, with a mere trebling of the number of Covid-related absences over the past eleven days.

Imagine the good greet that the FM could have if they could directly link more than 20,000 absences to the pub or Scottish footballers in a fortnight.

Edited by vikingTON