Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The amount of people not wearing masks in the shop earlier was by miles the highest I’ve seen it since the rule was brought in. Guarantee it’s 99% those anti-masker nut jobs.

I went into the local shop after dropping the Bairn off, 5 other people came in after me despite a limit of 4 at a time and not one had a covering on. 

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

You’re going to be gutted when this is all over aren’t you? Be honest. 

Man's turned a global pandemic into a box-office career on this site. Has to be respected.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

As I've said before what is it about bored millionaires that makes them so susceptible to this kind of thing? They've got the time and resources more than anyone to actually research a subject properly, but it's always this.

Thinking about Kanye West in particular it's partially an opportunity to shift the narrative through your colossal fame but also mental illness and boredom.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Sounds better than most of his solo material. 

Probably posted out of tune as well.

What is it that you actually want? IIRC you were critical of 2 metre SD. So do you believe in 1 metre SD in all settings? Do you think schools back is a trade off that's shouldnt have been made? If so, how would you square the impact of continued closure?
I wouldn't bother asking - he's spun so much on this that he's doing a good impression of a tumble dryer.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Middle age and pensioner age protesters out in force in Edinburgh yesterday outside the Parliament building to protest at the unfairness of it all.

Not one mask.

Lockdown-protest-in-Edinburgh-5-sept-202

Is that Jack from still game, left of the middle.

40 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Middle age and pensioner age protesters out in force in Edinburgh yesterday outside the Parliament building to protest at the unfairness of it all.

Not one mask.

Lockdown-protest-in-Edinburgh-5-sept-202

Boy towards the top left under the two police is definitely wearing a tin-foil hat.

Top trolling right there!

What a predictable reply, which completely ignores the elephant in the room where, despite a relatively large number of cases of this "dangerous and deadly virus" being recorded over the weeks following the lockdown, hospitalisations did not increase.

There was never talk of the Aberdeen outbreak leading to mass hospitalizations or deaths. The measures were designed to slow / stop transmission and they did. The alternative to local measures are national ones as you know. Both governments have made that clear so take your pick. Your preferred option of back to pre Covid normal isn't on the table.

Not one mask.
Lockdown-protest-in-Edinburgh-5-sept-2020.png
New item for have I got local news for you, the PnB Covid equivalent of the local rags favourite competition.....Spot the Todd ????

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
55 minutes ago, Snafu said:
Not one mask.
Lockdown-protest-in-Edinburgh-5-sept-2020.png

New item for have I got local news for you, the PnB Covid equivalent of the local rags favourite competition.....Spot the Todd ????

Corona five.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
What a predictable reply, which completely ignores the elephant in the room where, despite a relatively large number of cases of this "dangerous and deadly virus" being recorded over the weeks following the lockdown, hospitalisations did not increase.

There was never talk of the Aberdeen outbreak leading to mass hospitalizations or deaths. The measures were designed to slow / stop transmission and they did. The alternative to local measures are national ones as you know. Both governments have made that clear so take your pick. Your preferred option of back to pre Covid normal isn't on the table.

No one mentioned masses of those. But surely you would expect some noteable increase in hospitalisations from it.

Even 5% of the 400 odd becoming ill enough to need to go to hospital would have been noteable enough to A show up on a chart, and B have Leitch crowing about it.

There's plenty of cheap and empty units in town centres across the country that could be repurposed to provide space for remote working: instead of commuting into a city you could have a desk, facilities and some peace within five-ten minutes of leaving the house, which seems to me a decent halfway measure as WFH is really not suitable for everyone.

The obstacle is the question of who is going to pay for this facility - either user or employer or a bit from both - and at what price point would it be feasible to run as a business in its own right. If it could take off though then it would be a step towards regenerating the local high street instead of having London and even Glasgow sucking in wealth to create about 1700 shite chain restaurants and a bunch of pubs for wankers in Finnieston.  

I don't have as much sympathy for unfortunate office workers who live 50 miles away from work and complain about the hours of travel (do they live in Dumfries or what and commute everyday to Edinburgh?? :lol:), which is entirely their choice and complain about it. How must they suffer for the job they actually have.

I think this is a very simplistic argument. Cities have centralised ‘professional’ roles almost entirely in the past decade or two. It isn’t quite as easy or simple as just getting a job near where you live. I certainly couldn’t have anything like the job I have now where I grew up, but in reality there’s absolutely no reason why not.

It’s probably a pipe dream but some letting of empty High St or industrial units in provincial towns for office work has the potential be a massive, massive positive to come out of all this.

53 minutes ago, Snafu said:

More profitable turning unused city center units into flats.

Certainly the attitude of the council where I live. That additional council tax take is about all they see. 

What will be interesting is whether the model they depend on (London commuters) stands up. The developers seem to have trouble flogging their new build flats as it is for various reasons (no parking, crap amenities and hilarious prices). 

All councils really do need to get people living in the town centre to support whatever remains of retail afte this. The 'High Street' was already dead before Covid and at least housing will stop it becoming the new Post-industrial wasteland. 

41 minutes ago, Snafu said:

In Inverness this has been the pattern over the last few years with city center buildings being converted or being demolished for flats. I don't know if this is similar to other towns and cities but before the sixties and seventies city developments there were a lot more people living in the city center, so its kind of a return to the way it used to be.

Off topic, but the whole centre seemed blocked up with various roadworks yesterday, mostly to do with new cycle lanes I think. Ended up going out to the Dores roundabout to cross the river. They're blocking off Kenneth Street for a month soon for fibre and water works as well. Shame they didn't get it done during the lockdown.